• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Chimp Challenge 2011: Contest Rules and Important Dates

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
All I have to throw in right now is a gt240 gpu that is making 4000ppd. Not much but it is more than the 69 ppd my desktop is making.

Most of my rigs are now flinging poo, just a couple have to finish up their last WU and then they will all be folding monkeys.

I have a spare 8600GT doing nothing. If I added it to my spare PCI-Express slot (only runs at X2 speed) would it slow down my GTX460's folding? Would be worth another 2000ish ppd if it worked correctly.

Also, has anyone posted in the Rosetta and Seti forums requesting extra help? I know there is usually a good spirit of cooperation between the teams when the challenges come up so just wondering if Chimp Challenge has been publicised there.

Last edited:
David posted an announcement, about it, but when I looked in these forums, I saw no reaction to that post. A more personal appeal might do the trick.

I'll take the SETI team, if someone will take the Rosetta team.

Can't help you with the answers on using the gpu.

I'll take Rosetta :) I'll put up a post when I get home in a few hours. Last couple of hours at work on a Friday always seem to be the busiest :screwy:

I have a spare 8600GT doing nothing. If I added it to my spare PCI-Express slot (only runs at X2 speed) would it slow down my GTX460's folding? Would be worth another 2000ish ppd if it worked correctly.

You should be able to run both together without any slowdown.

However, you will need to install the GPU2 client for the 8600. The 460 needs the GPU3 client.

Since you already have the GPU3 client running, you will probably have to install the console version for the GPU2 client. It won't let you install the systray GPU2 client if you have the GPU3 systray client installed.

If you are on v7 for combined CPU/GPU, I'm not familiar with it.

You should be able to run both together without any slowdown.

However, you will need to install the GPU2 client for the 8600. The 460 needs the GPU3 client.

Since you already have the GPU3 client running, you will probably have to install the console version for the GPU2 client. It won't let you install the systray GPU2 client if you have the GPU3 systray client installed.

If you are on v7 for combined CPU/GPU, I'm not familiar with it.

Great :D I'm running the systray client for GPU3. Didn't know I couldn't use the systray GPU2 along side the GPU3 one so that has saved a lot of hassle. It should be online in a few hours.

I'm trying to get my schools computer admin to put the client on the schools server, its for a good cause so I dont think he'll care.

I'm trying to get my schools computer admin to put the client on the schools server, its for a good cause so I dont think he'll care.

Every extra point counts and it's good to get permission before doing anything like that :) Let us know how the recruitment drive goes :rock:

Our appeal to the SETI team has been posted.

Last edited:
Well im in from rosetta, not got massive gpus, But have a hd4800. 8800gts alphadog, 8800gts 320mb and if i can get it on in time a gtx285, and 1 i7950 folding for the monkeys, :)

Very sweet, Bob!

Welcome, Virtualyoda! Your i7 will rock with -smp as an added parameter to the folding client.

Don't happen to have a couple hundred close friends with i7's and a passion for folding, do you? :p

ive got 3 of my own? 2x 920 @ 3.5 aqnd 1 950 @ 4 and duel zeons, Not done much folding, and having trouble getting the one i7 i have to do it, Drop me a link to the downloads i need and ill get in ones i can,

Is there a way for me to see what my hardware is doing for the team?

ive got 3 of my own? 2x 920 @ 3.5 aqnd 1 950 @ 4 and duel zeons, Not done much folding, and having trouble getting the one i7 i have to do it, Drop me a link to the downloads i need and ill get in ones i can,

Behold, HFM

Install HFM to monitor your folding. Instructions are linked into the Super Sticky at the top of the forum.

The d/l page you want is not the regular one, but the appropriate high performance client programs, here:
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther

I use 6.32 console, but the 6.41 is the latest, and allows more options, also.

The main thing with them is to add T32monkeys as your folding handle (if you want to help in the race), and the passkey of:
63db8ce5557ac843556921df5f3a5f95

If you use your own passkey, it will not be eligible for the bonus (substantial), during the course of the race. The race will be over in 9 days.

After the race, you should use your own passkey, of course.

Well no using the school as a monkeyfarm, admin says the computers here have enough problems here already :( I'm going to put the client on my moms laptop and desktop thuogh, all she does is surf the internet and im sure she wont mind (asking permission of course), I also have another 7 computers that my godparents own that they'd be willing to put the client on, especially since one of thier sons is a cancer survivor.

for now all i got is an i5-760

Go easy on the laptop - they can overheat while folding, Under advanced settings, be sure to tell it to not fold when it's running on battery power - otherwise the battery will be drained dead, pretty quick.

How much PPD will a GTX580 Hydro copper do a day? I have the SR-2 chugging on a P6900 that should be turned in sometime tonight. I am shutting down my Rosetta at work once units that are going complete and installing F@H for a little extra PPD over the duration of the contest. When i get home today ill get my gpu crunching as well

Great to hear, Stonesthroen!

There are tables that show what your GTX-580 will earn per day, but I have not seen them in a long time. Are you using a FAH monitoring program? Won't it show you what you've folded?

Back