• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Crashes when playing video...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

Hey guys, this started happening recently, not sure whats going on.

Symptoms ->

- Computer works 100% for games. No gaming load has crashed the computer, from FF14 to Crysis 3, everything is fine when I game.
- When browsing a site with a flash video, my display adapter will crash, causing either a BSOD, severe artifacting, "display adapter failure" and sometimes recovery.
- Intermittent. It does not always happen, but only happens with a video playing. I can browse youtube sometimes for hours, sometimes it happens immediately. Vimeo, hosted videos, etc, all have caused crashes.
- I have ran benchmarks (firemark, Intel burn test, p95) and has never had a failure.

Specs ->
- Sig for hardware
- FRESH install of 8.1, zero chance for malware or viruses.
- Using AMD driver 13.12 as it has been the most stable. 14.xx drivers just don't work well for my computer for some reason.
- google chrome browser.
- Temps are GOOD, usage isnt high anyway.
- overclock is ridiculously stable.
- ALL drivers are completely up to date.

Basically this is mostly a ridiculously huge annoyance more than anything. Any help diagnosing this would be appreciated.

Tried a different browser?
Turned off hardware acceleration in the browser?
Drivers other than 13.12 (Which are a year and a half old...I wonder why the 14.x driver's are giving you fits in 8.1? I'm solid on a 270x...).

Your post doesn't seem to mention which version of flash you are using.

Tried a different browser?
Turned off hardware acceleration in the browser?
Drivers other than 13.12 (Which are a year and a half old...I wonder why the 14.x driver's are giving you fits in 8.1? I'm solid on a 270x...).

Gonna try that hardware acceleration thing.

I've only used chrome, so Ill try firefox or waterfox and see if I can do it.

With my clean install, I installed the latest 14.12 drivers, still had same problems with them, so I removed them with DDU, and installed 13.12 again.

- - - Updated - - -

Your post doesn't seem to mention which version of flash you are using.

On chrome, the flash is built in and auto updated, it wont even let me update it.

I have the same thing happen when playing a Video such as you tube in FF every once in a while Bob. When it happens I find when I update the flash player it usually resolves it.

Flash's hardware acceleration can be turned on/off in the browser, right-click the Flash video > Settings > check/uncheck the box.

I have the same thing happen when playing a Video such as you tube in FF every once in a while Bob. When it happens I find when I update the flash player it usually resolves it.

Im unawares of how to update flash player on chrome. Says its "built in" and wont let me do anything.

Flash's hardware acceleration can be turned on/off in the browser, right-click the Flash video > Settings > check/uncheck the box.

Did that today after ED's suggestion. So far no crashes, but I did have a smidge of artifacting.

I just dont get why video games dont have any issues, but playing a simple video does.

Hardware acceleration is a good thing :) turning it off in the browser is just an early step in the troubleshooting process, often it's a smaller component that that needs disabling (usually via about:chrome or about:config), maybe D2D or Layers acceleration for instance. If the problem is just with Flash, you can turn off HA in Flash (older Flash versions could be turned off across the System with the Control Panel applet) and re-enable HA in the main browser.

An alternative (not for Chrome or for IE in the latest Win versions) would be to fully *uninstall* Flash and install the latest Extended Support Release, built for stability, currently 13.0.0.277.
What is the Extended Support Release?

Adobe makes available a version of Flash Player called the "Extended Support Release" (ESR) to organizations that prefer Flash Player stability over new functionality. We have created a branch of the Flash Player code that we keep up to date with all of the latest security updates, but none of the new features or bug fixes available in our current release branch. This allows organizations to certify and stay secure on Flash Player with minimal effort.

We recommend that companies focused on security and stability take a close look at this release option.

**Flash uninstaller, direct link: http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/support/uninstall_flash_player.exe

Happened in firefox iwth standalone flash player.

Im losing my mind here haha

If you are organized and partitioned your hard drive and image your OS partition, you could conceivably deduce the who the culprit is but it will be an involved process.

Fresh install, replicated problem before installing video drivers, if not there, install video drivers, replicate problem, etc.

I find it hard to beleieve though that an entire year of drivers from amd do not work In your pc! 15.3 beta is the latest. Have you tried it?

I find it hard to beleieve though that an entire year of drivers from amd do not work In your pc! 15.3 beta is the latest. Have you tried it?

I've tried 14.12, 14.10, 13.9, 13.12. Of them all 13.12 was by far the most stable. 14.xx gives me strange problems. The video stuff is more nuisance than outrage, so if it comes to that, Ill stick with that problem over not being able to do anything else :p

If you have a spare hard drive, and wish to resolve this problem, the starting point should be fresh windows, no drivers, test, and THEN install drivers and test to prove that the drivers are a problem and not hardware...

Using another video card would quickly point to the video card being the problem or not too.

Everything else is just speculation.

Last edited:
Ever tried Minitube? It supposedly doesn't even need flash installed to play youtube. It is youtube only however and not exactly free either, except for linux. But for youtube content I have not used a better player. Version 1.9 allows for downloading too.
http://flavio.tordini.org/minitube

If you have a spare hard drive, and wish to resolve this problem, the starting point should be fresh windows, no drivers, test, and THEN install drivers and test to prove that the drivers are a problem and not hardware...

Using another video card would quickly point to the video card being the problem or not too.

No issues with my 270x.

Its clearly a driver or bios issue here. Im gonna try updating the bios on the GPU.

- - - Updated - - -

No issues with my 270x.

Its clearly a driver or bios issue here. Im gonna try updating the bios on the GPU.

I can also simply remove the drivers; don't need to have a separate install of windows for all that.

Hey guys, I think this worked. I updated the stock xfx bios to their "double dissipation" bios. I'll continue testing and see how it goes.

Yes this definitely worked. No more issues at all

edit: as a bonus, I installed new drivers ,and they are working flawlessly! I wonder if there was just a bug in the bios on the gpu causing all my issues.

Back