• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core i5 2500K Sapphire 7870 Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
+1 below mid 80c is fine for prime95.

The intel CPU's are made to run hot just fine.

My HP laptop is stock and it runns in the 80c range with pirme95

Last edited:
Should i try running prime then? how long does it last and will my cpu die with the stock cooler?

You should be able to run Prime as long as you want (days, weeks) and temps should stay in range. Or you need a better cooler.

The stock cooler should be able to handle that load on the CPU at stock clocks.

Use RealTemp or CoreTemp and just watch the graph. The temp should stabilize at max after a few minutes or so. If you're not playing a game, you can just leave it in the background, look back 10 minutes later and you'll have a good idea of max temp.

Run the SmallFFT test, by the way.

I got to 66 degrees and i freaked out and stoped incase I got the blue screen of death.. what is the max temp where the cpu shuts down so i can stop before it reaches it?

It won't ever shut down. It'll throttle (goes slower to bring down temperature) at 100C. If it's mid 80s or below when temps stabilize, you're fine.

If it BSODs, that is NOT temperature related. That means it's not stable, which if everything is at stock, could be a problem.

Again, this is more to just help. you learn that stuff isn't going to.blow up randomly. It's rather hard to damage a chip by overheating.

Well thanks for reassuring me :)
I am just worried the stock intel cra.. i mean cooler will hold up to the test

If you do get the CPU hot enough, somehow like the heat sink fan dies the cpu will shutdown around 110c-120c

First it will throttle if that does not work to bring the temps down then it will shut down.

Yup. I'd say if it hits 90 and it's still rising, it's probably a better idea to shut it off than let it stabilize.

...... I don't know why would you buy a cooler since you don't get past 50... but 212 Evo is a good cooler from what iread.. and I saw many ppl choosing it so... if you really want to add a cooler... you can go with this one.
Knufire or other more experienced ppl, correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, if you get around 40 degrees and you put a cooler on... you won't get much of a difference since there is a point where the CPU goes no matter what cooler you have... Say, if you runat 60 degrees, with 212 you will go to 50.. if you run at 40 than you will still run at 35-40 with the 212 installed.

who said i didnt go past 50?

also, the scythe mugen II check it out!

it is 2x bigger and the same price.. no seriously, check it out, it is underrated!

nvm that,
looks good too

Also, just wondering if it is okay to change the back exhaust fan and flip it around so that I will turn it into an intake? the ngative pressure is really bothering me.. my room is very dusty.. in 2 days, i accumilated a lot of dirt on top of my monitor and case.. so that is why I wanted to make it positive .. but then again, my back exhaust fan is not filtered so could I buy something like this? :
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/120m...er-kit-for-all-makes-of-120mm-fan-top-product

And I have a spare quiet fan lying around so I can use that as a bottom intake (if i manage to clear a bunch of wires from the bottom somehow)

So my ideal flow would be:

sides and top exhaust
front, bottom and back, intake

(yes, the sides are exhaust from stock, even if i flip them around, they wont be very efficient thanks to the vent system

Last edited:
Positive pressure only keeps dust from coming in the cracks of your case. If your intake fans are not filtered, it wont prevent dust inside.

Just leave it. You are overthinking things.

my intakes are filtered but i have many unfiltered holes

i can kinda feel some air sucked in through there (like the feeling of the back of the fan)

Filters are more work than they are worth, pain to clean every few weeks and they don't catch all the dust. I just take mine out the shop and blow it out with compressed air once a month or so.

the 212 evo's aint bad i have bad airflow right now ( 2 intake fans decided die) and on a 2500k at 4.3 GHz i stayed right around 43 (room temp around low 30's ) with prime 95 for an hour

AS I said before, i could buy a filter and turn the read exhaust fan inside out. and i dont have an outside area to blow my dust in. i live in an apartment

Back