• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First manual overclock. FX-9590 Sabertooth 990x R2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Regardless of the problems getting to that CPU speed it all seems pretty good now. Good luck and happy computering.

RGone...

What can I provide you guys with to figure this variance out?

Samena, have been looking at that cpu variance in speed since it showed up. Even has got me looking in the background at a number of other specs and controls the cpu has on its own and what it can say to the motherboard. We have seen plenty of other FX cpus pushed that hard on Sabertooth R2.0 and they do not do such stuff. Maybe complete captures of all your bios settings using F12 to save .bmp pics to a flash drive formatted to FAT32. Or good pictures. But you have to scroll the screens to see 'every' setting top to bottom.

We took your thread off topic a number of posts back when we were chasing that 300MHz and I had just shut up mostly since you seemed okay with how it runs with the level of cooling you have. When a user is happy...well I just sort of let them have their fun. I mean if my setup was doing that varying Mhz dance...yes I would be hot and heavy after the cause...but you maybe just happy as can be and we let it slide on bye. Luck to you no matter what.

RGone...ster.

Most of the screen shots after page two.

No particular order.

Attachments

• 2hourp95test.png
    2hourp95test.png
    269.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 20minp95.png
    20minp95.png
    301.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 238pm6-1-15.png
    238pm6-1-15.png
    172.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 530pm6215.png
    530pm6215.png
    260.1 KB · Views: 104
  • 930pm2hr6215.png
    930pm2hr6215.png
    294.3 KB · Views: 105
  • ocstabletest.png
    ocstabletest.png
    174.6 KB · Views: 102
Some more look around...

...I have already said that Samena seems happy enough with his rig but that does not mean I have quit my own looking around for 'discovery'.

This MHz jumping that we see with Samena's system has had me doing some more looking. I saw this below:

WhitehawkEQ posted this image and another over in the AMD mobo forum section. Image is his rig running 39mins of P95 Blend.
attachment.php

Number ONE, I am using my CHV-Z on top of an old mobo box and my cooling is a Stock 4 tube air cooler with 70mm fan that comes in a REtail boxed FX-8350. So n0 cooling for anything resembling an overclock. Got that? Not any, no not any other fans on or around the mobo.

So I opened the OCCT P95 Blend mode and also opened up HWMonitor and opened up the CLOCKS drop down and watched what happens. See the 30 or 40MHz swing of the Cpu Speed in WHEQ's image? Mine does that exactly. But NO 300Mhz swing.

Now with NO cooling for overclock I sat and watched what the CLOCKS did and watched my temps (good thing) and when my "package" temps reached 77c at about 2 mins into my OCCT P95 blend run...I shut the thing down. I had seen what I needed to see. There is a small swing in Cpu CLOCKS. Looks like almost exactly the amount of swing generated by a ONE FSB change. Most any app will start at a speed that seems elevated by ONE FSB and then drop back to a 'used' speed. As P95 changes TESTS, there is another slight swing and again just about as if the FSB changed by one MHz. But nO 300MHz type variations of the CPU speed is seen with my FX-8350 at 4400Mhz set manually in bios with TurboCore DISabled and no sign of throttling from the package temp rising like a rocket off of the launch pad.

I told Samena that if my rig had cpu speed bouncing around like that, then I would be hot on the trail of the cause. But I do not have that ~300MHz cpu speed dance that we see with his rig so no need for me to chase any further. I have my answer with the blanks pretty well filled in for my own mind.

I still have no idea what causes Samena's setup to have the big cpu speed swings but I now know my CHV-Z does not do it and neither does WH_EQ's new R5 setup.

I may video this occurance if I get to where it bugs me anymore.

RGone...skisterzzzzzzzzzz

Last edited:
I have seen one other user at OCN have the same thing with the same board. He ended up RMA ing the board. I would find examples but it's buried some months back in a 50,000 post thread. One thing that is worth a mention, I have heard that AISuite is hard to remove and possibly still effecting things at some sub level or there might still be some other software interfering with the sensors. I am curious as to what that software is that shows the lightning bolt in the task bar.

One board and he RMA'd it. That is nice to know. i am familiar with a thousands of post thread. I don't have enough hair left to sort thru that sort of thing.

I have used REVO Free uninstaller and Ai Suite is everywhere to get a complete UNinstall. So you are correct about the 'suite' being hard to get completely rid of. One reason I don't use it as a matter of course. In addition any settings I might have used in Ai Suite are UNdone before I UNinstall.

Where are you seeing an app with lightning bolt in tray? Don't think have seen such nor how to search for it.

RGone...

That lightning bolt is the third one over from the right in the taskbar ( sorry) in the images that S_B reposted.

As soon as I get a thumb drive I will upload the pics from the BIOS settings so you guys can see exactly what I have changed. it's previously posted and saved as a profile though.

BIOS Settings

As promised, here are the .bmp's of the bios settings. Some relevant and some not I'm sure. Sorry for making it just a link. I couldn't upload the files here because of the size of the images. It would have been cluttered anyway, taking up alot of the topic space. This is easier I think. Hope this helps.

There is no bios version 1208 for that motherboard. If he opend up the "main" tab it would show the actual bios version there but not on any of the pics he has linked. I believe he said he was on bios version 2501 and that is the latest bios version.

RGone...

No the bios version is at the bottom of every page in the bios.

Here's a copy paste....

Driver & Tools

There are 3 download servers available on ASUS Download Site - Global, China and P2P. Each server provides exact the same content no matter where you download from, except for the speed which you are connected to.

OS

Windows 8.1 64bit
25 files found

Qualified Vendor List (1)

BIOS (10)

Version 1604

Description SABERTOOTH 990FX BIOS 1604
1.Improve system stability.
2.Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
File Size 2.29 MBytesupdate 2012/10/24
Download from Global
Version 1503

Description SABERTOOTH 990FX BIOS 1503
2.Enhance compatibility with some USB devices.
File Size 2.28 MBytesupdate 2012/10/10
Download from Global
Version 1304

Description SABERTOOTH 990FX BIOS 1304
File Size 2.27 MBytesupdate 2012/07/20
Download from Global
Version 1208

Description SABERTOOTH 990FX BIOS 1208 <--- currently using
1.Improve Improve system stability.
File Size 2.27 MBytesupdate 2012/05/29
Download from Global

There's no such bios 2501 you mean??

Update it. I bet you never have.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, that board doesn't officially support the FX-9590... at least according to this list.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_990FX/HelpDesk_CPU/

That would explain enough to me right there ^^

GL

No worries Samena, I think S_B is working too much. Your board and BIOS are fine.

Back