• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED First Time Overclocker Needing Help. AMD Pro, Gigabyte Mobo.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just got to a menu in Windows 8, enabling me to restore it back to a working date...

I'm starting to think this may actually be a problem with Windows 8, and not the CPU or PSU...

I may install Windows 7 back onto that hard drive and see if I can boot it using that...
Though I'd have to wait until tomorrow to do that, as I have people waiting for me to join them in an hour and I don't think I have a Windows 7 disk laying about anywhere right now.

Yeah, but if it's Windows why would it boot fine into Windows 8 on 3 cores but not on 4?

I have no idea... That is what is racking my brain.
I don't understand why it is getting to a restore screen.
I don't know, I'm stumped. I'm going to think on this for a while, I'm mainly confused why it won't run on what I already had it running on before.

Possibly the PSU but just as likely the fourth core was the marginal component. I would have to say your PSU is in any case in need of upgrade as it was a piece of junk even when it was new. Cheap PSU wattage ratings need to be taken with a grain of salt as it is usually a "peak" wattage rating rather than a sustained one such as is used by quality PSU manufactures when they assign a wattage rating.

If and when you decide to get a better PSU I would recommend going with something made by either Antec, Seasonic or Corsair. And 500W is plenty for your system if it's truly 500W.

Last edited:
It's difficult to recommend certain products to people who live in another part of the world. Availability, shipping costs, etc. vary tremendously. If you stick with those brands I mentioned you will generally be okay. The Antec Neo series is good bang for the buck as is the Corsair CX series.

Hey,
I wanted to keep you updated since you have helped me for so long.
I'm now building a new Pc and leaving the one I have at current spec, I wanted to say thank you very much for all your help. I've really appreciated all you have taught me and I'm very grateful.
Would you be able to give me advice on building a system if i post the general stats on what it is I want to build or would that be another part of the forum.

You might do better to spec a system in the AMD or Intel motherboard section. Depending on which cpu brand you intend to use.
RGone...

Hey,
I wanted to keep you updated since you have helped me for so long.
I'm now building a new Pc and leaving the one I have at current spec, I wanted to say thank you very much for all your help. I've really appreciated all you have taught me and I'm very grateful.
Would you be able to give me advice on building a system if i post the general stats on what it is I want to build or would that be another part of the forum.

Invest what money you have to start with in good foundation components. Such as: A roomy mid or full tower case (at least 24 cm wide) with at least two 120 mm fans in the front and also in the back/top. A quality PSU. Doesn't have to be high wattage unless you have more than one strong video card installed. Quality is the key. One that provides low electronic ripple. A high end CPU cooler. A motherboard with stout power phase components (not 4+1 but 8+2). Even if you have to hold off on buying a killer CPU for a while, build that good foundation of supporting components so you will be prepared to adequately handle the power load of a killer CPU.

Research stuff and consult with us before you throw money down.

Thank you very much for your advice throughout all of this RGone.
Had a bit of a near death experience yesterday, ended up in hospital, so I've decided to say **** it and blow some money on making myself happy.

Well all gamers have said that the i7 3770-K and Z77 motherboards are the way forward gaming wise. I haven't looked at the forums yet on building Intel based systems, Intel is my brand of choice, but the Spec I was looking at building was something like.

i7 3770 (Quad Channel(Undecided on whether the extra £50 is worth the upgrade to a K version))
Undecided on Motherboard
Corsair Gaming Series GS700 700w
Liquid Cooling System, Undecided.
Trying to decide on 2 overclocked 660, I've heard they over clock to 660ti. Or 1 670.
250Gb SSD. Debating whether a 120gb or 250gb is necessary.
4x 4GB Quad Channel 2400Mhz

I reckon I can build all this for roughly £1200-£1400. I wanted to cap it at £1000 so what I might, if I decide to buy a 660 instead of a 680 is stick with that, and add another one later.

Then next debate is between a 3770 and a 3770k.

I also need to decide if Quad channel is worth it. Or whether 2x8gb 2400 Dual channel is a better idea, with the option to upgrade to 32gb in the future.

These are my thoughts so far.

Yea, I'm fine, thank you for asking. It's a little personal, but safe to say, everything should be ok now. I just need to wait a couple of weeks to get some more results back from the doctor.
It's just been one of those bloody years, every other month I seem to be in hospital.
But again, thank you for asking.

Sorry, I didn't mean to pry. I respect your desire for confidentiality. Sometimes life gives us some very intense periods and then it lets up for awhile.

Would anyone that replied on this post be able to help me make a few decisions on building a system. I'm getting a general build idea together now. Just wanted to consult with someone, and while I did post on the CPU forum, I haven't had any replies and want to get this ordered over the next day :)

You need to say what you want to build and what parts you need to purchase for that build.

Then you need to give link to 'where' you can buy or will buy from so that we don't tell you a product that is not available where you will be purchasing from.

Plus you need to say how much and just how much you are willing and can spend.
RGone...

Back