• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED First Time Overclocker Needing Help. AMD Pro, Gigabyte Mobo.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The new 20 minute blend. Only a 3c drop in temperature under stress...
Both fans are only half a cm above the fets and and basically covering the full things...

17.3.13.JPG

HUZZAH!

Can you guide me through the process or would you prefer I just read that suggest post by Mandrake4565 and followed it? I had a brief look over it, but was rather confused by it...

First of all, I would not allow your TMPIN2 temp to exceed 85c during your overclock.

It's time for you to repost those bios pics again so we have proximal access to them. We'll be referring to them frequently at first and we want to be using the terminology your bios is using instead of generic bios terms that will confuse you. Having said that, you will want to find the following controls in bios:

1. The main system frequency which we commonly refer to as FSB but the official name for it is "HT Reference". It may be called something like CPU Frequency in your bios. Stock is 200 mhz. You may need to first put the Overclock mode to Manual if its on Auto in order to see some of these things.
2. The RAM frequency control. It may be called DRAM Frequency or something like that.
3. The HT Link and CPU/NB (or just "NB") frequency controls.
4. The CPU voltage control
5. The CPU/NB or NB voltage
6. Disable the green stuff: Cool N Quiet and C1E. Then go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and configure it to High Performance if it is not already.

Bed time. I'll check on this sometime tomorrow. At that time if you haven't started already or been helped by someone else and are pretty far along I will outline a strategy for you. But now those bios pics. Okay?

Take these things off of Auto and disable Cool N Quiet.

Attachments

• Auto.JPG
    Auto.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 19
Cool N Quiet Disabled.
C1E Disabled.

All these have either been set to manual or the lowest value, this is it in order of what you circled.

CPU Clock Ratio - x5
CPu Northbridge Freq. - x5
CPU Host Clock Control - Manual

HT Link Frequency - 200MHz
Set Memory Clock - Manual

System Voltage Control - Manual

Cpu NB Vid Control - Normal
CPU Voltage Control - Normal

Methodology:

1. Always, Always have HWMonitor open on the desktop to monitor temps when stress testing. Don't allow TMPIN1 to exceed 65-70c. Don't allow TMPIN2 to exceed 85c.
2. Put CPU Clock Ratio to the stock 13.5 (since 13.5x200=2700 mhz).
3. Put CPU NB Freq. multiplier to 9x (10x is stock), i.e., you want to start it at 1800 mhz.
4. Put HT Link Freq. multiplier to 9x (10x is stock), i.e., you want to start it at 1800 mhz.
5. Put the Memory Clock to 800 mhz (3.33 to 1 ratio, I believe)

At this point you are asking, "Why is he having me set these frequencies lower than stock value when I am overclocking the system?" Answer: The CPU NB, HT Link and Memory frequencies are tuned to the CPU Frequency (aka, "FSB" and "HT Reference"). To overclock the CPU, you will be increasing the CPU Frequency. As you do, these other frequencies will increase along with it because they are tuned to the CPU Frequency, which is the master system bus. If these other frequencies exceed their stock values by very much they could cause instability and sabotage the effort to overclock the CPU. So you lower the frequencies of these other components to make headroom for overclocking the CPU.

6. Add .025 volts to the CPU voltage control.
7. Increase the CPU Frequency from the stock 200 to 205 mhz.
8. Run a 20 minute Prime95 blend test to check for stability and temps
9. If you pass the test in #8, increase the CPU Frequency to 210 mhz and retest.
10. Repeat the pattern in steps 7, 8 and 9, adding 5 mhz each tome to the CPU Frequency. When you first fail the test (blue screen, spontaneous restart, lockup or one of the Prime core workers drops out) roll back the CPU Frequency to the previous value used when the last Prime test was passed, rerun the Prime stress test and post back with attached pics of CPU-z tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD and of the HWMonitor interface so we can see what your bios values, frequencies and your max temps are looking like.

Hey Trents, hope you are having a great day thus far, and happy St Paddys Day.

Thank you for the instructions. I am jumping out to the shops to get some Paddy's day gear. Once I'm back I'll start the overclocking process immediately and inform you of my results.

Hey Trents, hope you are having a great day thus far, and happy St Paddys Day.

Thank you for the instructions. I am jumping out to the shops to get some Paddy's day gear. Once I'm back I'll start the overclocking process immediately and inform you of my results.

You picked the right people to get advice.I try to chime in,but know far less than Trents,R-Gone,and Mandrake.I think I will chill out and learn from these guys:salute:

Man I have seen you posting at just the right time. Keep it up. You answer what you know and ask the people with issues what gives to keep the threads going in a good direction.
RGone...

You picked the right people to get advice.I try to chime in,but know far less than Trents,R-Gone,and Mandrake.I think I will chill out and learn from these guys:salute:

Ok, I've had some serious problems so far.

The PC will not start up with 4 cores now. It will start with 3, but not 4, I'm guessing that means that the 4th core is now gone.

These are the settings I had when things were fine.

Clock Ratio - x13.5
NB Freq - x9
Host Clock - Manual
Cpu Freq - 210
PCIE Clock - Auto
HT WLink Width - Auto
HT Link Freq 1.8GHz (There was now x.9)
Set Memory Clock - Manual
Memory Clock - [x4.00] 800mhz

System Volt Ctrl - Normal
DDR2 Volt - Normal
NB Volt Ctrl - Normal
SB Volt Ctrl - Normal
CPU NB Vid Ctrl - Normal
CPU Voltage Control - +0.25

I then set it to 215, had a problem starting it up. Now it will not start with 4 cores. It reverted to three cores, started up, I ran a test, realised only 3 cores were active, enabled the 4th core again and it just comes up that windows is repairing itself, if it even gets that far, then restarts itself....

I'm guessing this is my fault, as you said "Put the Memory Clock to 800 mhz (3.33 to 1 ratio, I believe)", I set it to x4.00 because it said that was 800mhz and I've basically ****ed it...

I can't believe this has went so wrong so fast...

No, probably nothing has happened to the fourth core. Just probably needs more CPU voltage to carry the higher frequency of the overclock with the extra core enabled. Add another .025 to the vcore and see if that helps. But watch the temps because adding CPU voltage is the main factor in rising temps as you overclock. This is the way overclocking works. The big idea is to increase the frequency of the CPU, i.e., make it go faster. To make it go faster, you have to give it more juice at certain points or it will become unstable. As you add more juice, temps go up so you reach a point where the temps themselves create instability but you can't add any more voltage to break through that because temps get dangerously high and that is the end of your overclock unless you employ better cooling. That's the way overclocking works in a nutshell.

Post attached pics of the bios sections that deal with frequency and voltages and also the ACC sub screen.

The real thing I don't understand is why it will boot up with 3 Cores, but with 4 Cores it will boot to the Windows Logo and then try to repair itself, then crash ten seconds later...

Okay, everything in bios looks appropriate to me. Press F5 to restore to defaults and the go back into ACC to reenable that core and add .025v to the CPU Voltage Control. The see if the fourth core is active again.

The real thing I don't understand is why it will boot up with 3 Cores, but with 4 Cores it will boot to the Windows Logo and then try to repair itself, then crash ten seconds later...

That's a good question. My best guess is either an invalid unlocked core or a failing PSU that won't quiet provide enough juice to keep keep up when the extra strain of Windows loading up begins to tax it.

Right, I set everything back to the defaults, re-enabled the 4th core... No joy.

Only changes I made, were to add 0.25 to the voltage, disable Cool N quiet and enabled the 4th Core.

Just tried it with no added voltage with 4 Cores... Still won't boot....
So it won't even boot with what I had it running at before I started the Overclocking process today...

Back