• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED First Time Overclocker Needing Help. AMD Pro, Gigabyte Mobo.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Many giga boards have TMPlN2 as CPU socket temp. If the 79c is what you are trying to lower it is likely the cpu socket temp.

RGone, the identity of that sensor is what we struggled with in the beginning of his thread, knowing that usually TMPIN2 is the socket temp on a Giga board. It just didn't see to be that way on this one. There is just too much disparity between his core temps and that temp it seems.

Proxish, look at my recent posts in the thread, "Sempron fooln' Around". Same CPU as you, same cooler. It unlocked and easily overclocked to almost 3.6. But my socket temps never break 42c. I've got it set up outside of the case, though and the motherboard is on the higher end of things.

Edit: Not true. Different CPU entirely. Got confused with another thread I guess. Sorry.

Last edited:
Here is how I sorted the temps on most of the UD3 boards but it took 3 temp software programs to do it.

HW Monitor values for GA-970A-UD3
Good deal on the THREE captured Images...

...since we had three images to Compare across the board and knowing that AMD AOD shows Socket Temp for it's

temperature, it was possible to sort the rest since I have seen some HWINFO64 for the motherboards before.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7383050&postcounft=8

Do we actually know AMDOD gives a socket reading? I'm always considered it to be giving the core reading. When the OP moved from the stock cooler to the TX3 the TMPIN1 went down dramatically as I recall. That's what I was gong by.

Do we actually know AMDOD gives a socket reading? I'm always considered it to be giving the core reading. When the OP moved from the stock cooler to the TX3 the TMPIN1 went down dramatically as I recall. That's what I was gong by.

The very issue is a reason I do not like Gigabyte motherboards. They do not give a temperature that can be easily sorted like the other majors appear to do. The last time (linked) that really tried to sort out the temps on a Gigabyte UD3 board took 3 programs to sort thru to what the readouts seemed to cross-reference to. That held up for months until another Giga user seemed to show differently. Never did see that user stay and work on it like was done in that link.

Nor has this user here gone thru three applications to try and determine what temp reading is what.

AMD is still saying that Core Temp is the temperature that is used to calculate the shutdown temp of the cpu internally. Now HWMonitor calls that "package" temp instead fo core temp. I think the original name was better and they could have done better by dropping the 2, 4, 6 or 8 temps to one temp only and calling it the Core Temp. But I don't write software.

Software called Core Temp is supposed to only read the calculated Core Temp or the one that is supposed to also give the cpu a shut-down temp internally.

I guess the whole thing boils down to having to take 3 temp applications to even begin to sort the temps of a Giga board when push comes to shove. Even after doing this, it might be accurate for that 'one' motherboard. Not sure since this same discussion only seems to rise about every 4 to 6 months.

Because it takes the three applications and some cross-referencing; I did not say that TMPlN2 "was" but rather that it has been X in other situations. About the situation as I have seen it and spent time to cross-reference the temps previosly. With Giga, who knows today.
RGone...

Hey, just read everything and I'll start back at the beginning, sorry for taking so long to reply.

Yes, the side panel was off, I need to order two molex converters for my fans, I don't like having one of the mini fans running off the board and the other off the powersupply. And I don't have a converter for the side fan.

Secondly, I'm unsure what you means by putting my finger on the mosfets. I can't see any circle in red and is it safe to do that while the PC is on? Or do I turn it off after the 15 minute blend?

Thank you very much for your comments on my case by the way :)

Here is the first reading and the last reading done yesterday to keep things up to date.

First Blend, Side Panel Off.
First Blend, Panel Off.jpg

Yesterdays Blend
15.3.13.JPG

Sorry,Proxish, I probably forgot to attach the pic last night. I was very tired. Let's try that again. Common wisdom is that if a component is hot enough so that you can't hold your finger on it because of the pain then its too hot.

Attachments

• fets.JPG
    fets.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 24
Credit given to R-Gone for image.This pertains to Gigabyte boards.I also noticed in your bios settings, cool n quiet is enabled.For initial overclocking purposes I would disable.Do you have smart fan disabled? Definitely disable this,as it will throttle fan speed.

Attachments

• save.jpg
    save.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Right, ran a 15 minute Blend, shutdown the pc, unplugged it and put my finger on the mosfets. I could keep my finger on it, it was warm, but not enough to make me pull my finger off.

Okay, went back to the very first post in this thread and read most posts and looked at all the images captured and uploaded. This is an older chipset and not the newer 9xx series that we have dealt with lately. The board may even have a different I/O chipset that hands off temps to the temp software we are using today.

TMPlN0 is likely the CPU-NB temp.

TMPlN1 is most likely the CPU Socket temp.

TMPlN2 is probably useless or for certain unknown.

I chose TMPlN1 as the CPU Socket temp because no matter the CPU cooler change from original to TX3 the delta of TMPlN1 has been about as it should be when the cores are not unlocked and the Core Temps can actualy be seen.

TMPlN0 has not at any time had a delta temp that follows the general pattern of socket temp to Core Temp at any time that I can see from the first post on when the Core Temp reading was visible.

And no the image I linked showing the 9xx Giga UD3 boards temps is not valid for this much older specimen of a Giga board.
RGone...

Does this mean I can start overclocking my CPU?

Man I don't know. All I was attempting to do after all this time is sort the temp issue of what is what in the temp readout. We don't control your ability to overclock. You may overclock your equipment anytime you wish to do so.
RGone...

I don't know how.

My thoughts on it thus far are, if TMPIN 2 was originally at 95c (79c when doing **** all) and had been like that for around a year and a half, and is now down to 79c. That gives me 16c of overclocking room, before we reach unknown territory...

Man I don't know. All I was attempting to do after all this time is sort the temp issue of what is what in the temp readout. We don't control your ability to overclock. You may overclock your equipment anytime you wish to do so.
LoL Rgone, I haven't heard that can/may line since grade school :thup:

To start to learn how, read this post and then read it again.

Mandrake4565, I'm confused.
My AMD Phenom II X4 B25 2.71GHz is an unlocked AMD Athlon II X3 425 2.7Ghz. Where does that leave me, architecture wise. I can't identify which one mine is...

No, I meant put your finger on the mosfets while the computer was loading, not after you turned if off. Computer components cool down very quickly and you can't tell anything if you do it that way. I should have been clearer. Sorry.

Back