• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hello =D and Overclocking FX 6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sothefox

Registered
:) new to the site and thought I would say hello as well as ask a few questions.

I am looking to overclock my fx 6300 to 4ghz but have no experience with overclocking cpu,s at all any help or instructions would be highly appreciated.
My rig is as follows.
FX-6300
Hyper 212 evo
Gigabyte GA-970a-ud3
G.Skill Sniper 2x4gb 1866 ddr3
WD 1tb hd
HIS HD7850 2gb
Sparkle 700W PSU\
Sentey Optimus Extreme Case(Stock Fans)

Thank you for your time and any help in advance.

Sothefox, welcome to the forums. To start out you should read this guide it will help you understand the inns and outs of what you'll need to know. After you read it, I suggest downloading the following programs, Prime95, Hwmonitor and Cpu-Z. You should then open Hwmonitor and run prime 95 for 20 minutes at stock clocks so we have a baseline of what your temperatures and voltages are. Then post screen shots of the following here, Hwmonitor under load and the following tabs in cpu-Z, CPU, SPD and memory.

Attachments

• insert image.PNG
    insert image.PNG
    68.9 KB · Views: 291
:welcome: To OCF Sothefox.
My first suggestion would be to read through this guide a couple times to help familiarize you with the procedures and terminology we'll be using.

Once you're done Download CPU-z HWmonitor and prime 95. Go into your bios and disable the cool and quiet C1, C6, APM and EPU if you have these options. Then open up HWmonitor and run prime95. After about 20mins take a snip of the HWmonitor results while P95 is still running. Attach this to a post along with the CPU-z main tab, spd tab and memory tab.
If your CPU temp goes over 70 or the package temp over 60. Stop the prime test and let us know we'll need to address this first.

I think I just got :sn::sn: ed

Will get started on prime95 now.I already have Hwmonitor.Thanks for the quick replys =]

Which option for run a torture test should I choose :confused: theres 3 presets and a custom option in prime95 forgive my lack of experience ive never used prime95 either xD

I see your mem is at 1600 when you could be running 1866. You'll need to set it up manually in the bios. Then start raising the multiplier until prime won't run any more. That's when you'll need to up the volts.
Your temps are fine 38° cores and 46° socket. Lot's of room to breathe

Well im in bios and looking at advanced memory settings.......<__< though im not sure what values im supposed to change in here or how.

Check the spd tab I had you post. You have 11-11-11-28-39 you'll find in in Dram timing in the advanced section. Not too familiar with gigabytes layout. It will be in your MOBO manual. The first 4 switch to 9-11-9-29 and further down you'll see th39 change it to 37 and command rate of 1T. Check the Dram voltage is 1.5 and set freq to 1866

Might want to give the RAM a bit of voltage if you're tightening timings AND raising frequency.

I changed the all the values to what Johan45 said easily except for Memory frequency and dram voltage both those seemed to be locked and greyed out.The only thing there I can do is change the system memory multiplier.

You'll have to take a memory control setting off of Auto, I'm not sure which one for your mobo though. Find that setting, and it won't be greyed out any more.

I changed the all the values to what Johan45 said easily except for Memory frequency and dram voltage both those seemed to be locked and greyed out.The only thing there I can do is change the system memory multiplier.

The system memory multiplier might be the one you need. Rais it by one and it should display 1866. You might have to put the voltage in manual first. Like I said befor check your manual. I'm not familiar with the gigabytes

Ive got an option that says Extreme memory profile(X.M.P.) Its currently disabled even when changing it to profile 1 the options are still greyed.I can change the system memory multiplier from 8.00 to 9.33 and that in turn changed the memory frequency to 1866 but it fails to boot afterwards.

I feel we should proceed one step at a time, I know with my chip running 1866 has given me fits. What I feel should be done for starters is trying to OC it with the memory set as is and then try and proceed to OC the memory as well as the NB/HT link. This is taking into account that for the majority of users, the difference in performance from 1600-1866 on the RAM is minimal.

Im fine with my ram as is honestly.I wouldn't mind upgrading it after the cpu OC though :) im more than gracious for all the help you guys are giving.

Looks like you better keep your MOBO manual handy, atleast until you're familiar with the options and layout.

Yea dug it out of the closet earlier.=] im ready to proceed if anyone wants to give further guidance on where I should begin or how of off the screenshots.

Start by upping the multiplier .5 at a time on stock volts. Test with prime95 each time until it fails. Then add some voltage and do this again. You will reach a point where you'll need alot of voltage to gain stability. Stop there then we'll move to the FSB.
First though disable the cool and quiet C1, C6, APM and EPU if you have these options

Keep an eye on your temps as they will rise with the voltage increases.

Back