• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I shutdown automatically instead of hibernate or sleep?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackjackel

My bootup is now as fast as my hibernate, not quite as fast as sleep (maybe 3-5 seconds longer) but I don't want to use sleep anyways because it uses a small amount of power.

I want my computer ot shut down automatically when idle instead of hibernating or sleeping, how do i do this?

Just be aware of the inherent risk of document/project loss when doing an auto shut down instead of going into hibernate.

Better to just let it sleep instead if it's just because you left it idle, for the reason ATMINSIDE pointed out.

If you are just being extra, extra, extra lazy, and don't want to go through the menus to shutdown, or hit the power button, you can create a shortcut on your desktop that would shutdown your PC.

Another quick way is just click on your desktop (or Win-D, or click on the Show Desktop button on the right of the taskbar), hit Alt-F4, and then hit enter.

Another quick way is just click on your desktop (or Win-D, or click on the Show Desktop button on the right of the taskbar), hit Alt-F4, and then hit enter.

This is what I do every night :thup:

To be honest, when a computer is in sleep it uses such a minimal amount of power (neither my kill-a-watt or UPS pick up any current pull...) I highly doubt you would have any noticeable increase in an electric bill.

Not sure windows can accomplish that. You may need some 3rd party software?

Yes I was thinking of using some sort of third party software to do this.

I tried this with my old system but it didn't work, I'll try it again and report back if it works this time around.

Just be aware of the inherent risk of document/project loss when doing an auto shut down instead of going into hibernate.

Didn't think of that, good call! I usually save while working on something important though... I learned this 25 years ago with my ridiculously unstable windows98 machine that crashed like 10 times while i was writing a paper, and lost info like 8 out of those 10 times.

But can't I avoid this if i don't do a forced shutdown? Won't it save everything if it's a non-forced shutdown?

Better to just let it sleep instead if it's just because you left it idle, for the reason ATMINSIDE pointed out.

If you are just being extra, extra, extra lazy, and don't want to go through the menus to shutdown, or hit the power button, you can create a shortcut on your desktop that would shutdown your PC.

It's not about how to do it fast, it's about getting up and forgetting the pc on.... that's why auto shutdown.

Or just hit the power button on your PC.

This is in case I forget the PC on, which happens often enough.

To be honest, when a computer is in sleep it uses such a minimal amount of power (neither my kill-a-watt or UPS pick up any current pull...) I highly doubt you would have any noticeable increase in an electric bill.

This may be true with my new system, but with my old system I measured like 20w draw (or maybe it was 12 I don't remember). I can try measuring it again and post back my findings.

The reason I Want to shut down completely is because I use overclocking software to up the voltage on my graphics cards so I can push the clock and memroy rates higher... problem is that for some reason this software does not set the voltage on boot, only the clock and memory, which ends up crashing the system. So I need a full boot every time, and since the difference between sleep and boot is like 4 seconds, I don't have a problem doing that.

Even if it was 20w, do some math... :)

I pay around 10 cents per KW/h. So for every 1000W of use for one hour it costs 10 cents. If it's 20worth 5 hat works out to be .02 cents per hour if my math is right.

Plus there is less risk here of data loss than with automatic shutdown.

I pay around 10 cents per KW/h. So for every 1000W of use for one hour it costs 10 cents. If it's 20worth 5 hat works out to be .02 cents per hour if my math is right.

This. Hibernate is what you need.

Sometimes people want to do things just because they feel like it and ocforums is big enough that search engines will hit this thread when people try to accomplish what this original poster wants to do, regardless of (justifiable) motive... Since the thread now exists, OP should post if he tested the method that is out there to actually work or not.

Just trying to put some perspective on it, not force anyone's hand. Understand he did mention power used as some reasoning behind it. Should I have not shared the reality of things for him to make an even more informed choice?

Oy...:sly:

I'm an extreme energy saver, I use special power bricks that cut off all energy when one device is shut down... I even leave power adapters for shavers and such unplugged when I'm not using them, they all use a tiny bit of energy. This 2 cents you're talking about is called "vampire energy" and while it looks like not a lot of money, it adds up to a whole lot of money eventually... let's take your 2 cents and lets assume my computer was hibernated for a whole year (let's say that's 3 actual years of usage).... that adds up to $175.... I don't know about you but if someone walked up to me and said "Hey! you can boot your computer 2 seconds faster for $175... I'd say get the hell away from me crazy man....

I'd just rather boot fresh every time, not worth it for me to even hibernate since i boot just as fast.

Sometimes people want to do things just because they feel like it and ocforums is big enough that search engines will hit this thread when people try to accomplish what this original poster wants to do, regardless of (justifiable) motive... Since the thread now exists, OP should post if he tested the method that is out there to actually work or not.

This is exactly why I post my findings every time i put up a post, i hate when i go to a google search forum thread where the OP posts "NVM, i figured it out" and doesn't say how....

I'm an extreme energy saver, I use special power bricks that cut off all energy when one device is shut down... I even leave power adapters for shavers and such unplugged when I'm not using them, they all use a tiny bit of energy. This 2 cents you're talking about is called "vampire energy" and while it looks like not a lot of money, it adds up to a whole lot of money eventually... let's take your 2 cents and lets assume my computer was hibernated for a whole year (let's say that's 3 actual years of usage).... that adds up to $175.... I don't know about you but if someone walked up to me and said "Hey! you can boot your computer 2 seconds faster for $175... I'd say get the hell away from me crazy man.....
That was two one HUNDRETHS of a penny. So for a year, you would save $1.75.

While simultaneously establishing the answer to the original poster's question, it is absolutely reasonable and relevant to provide additional information regarding the amounts involved. To that end, I own this:

KillAWatt.png

My system is detailed below. Is the goal of the experiment to start the usage timer before I go to sleep at night and establish the overnight numbers while the computer is not being used?

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT with 120mm Scythe S-Flex F fan
ATi Radeon HD 7870 XFX Black 2GB HDMI 2XDVI GDDR5 1050MHz Core Clock
OCZ Agility 3 180GB SSD
Asus Xonar DX sound card
Dell 23" LCD UltraSharp U2312HM
Antec nine hundred case, two front 120mm fans, one back 120mm Fan, one top 200mm fan
Corsair RM850 850W

Power levels in sleep and hibernation do not vary until power on, so recording over a period of time isn't going to be any different than if it was read after sleep/hibernation. I think information about your system is a good 'value add' to thread but since it's so old comparatively, the values you find wont apply to the OP. Anyway, put the numbers up! I'd be interested to see it! :)

What is the command to manually put Windows 8 PC to sleep/hibernation?
I can measure it.

Not sure... I haven't used it in years and I'm mobile.

I'll check w7 tonight when I get downstairs.

In all my years I've always been disabling sleep/hibernation/restore and even indexing.
Just thought someone would save me a few seconds of time.

It appears to be here:
Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings

It has the option to put the computer to sleep after x minutes.

Back