• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I shutdown automatically instead of hibernate or sleep?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
As anyone who has ever called their power utility knows, it is very tricky to determine actual real out of pocket cost per kw/h because these things can very by the time of day/year and there are various multiple additional fees that are added, making the actual kw/h cost tricky to determine.

But if you can do that, I have reset the device.

Later tonight I will put the system to go to sleep after 1 minute and watch it go to sleep 60 seconds later then post the sleep/hibernation figures in the morning.

But here's what it looks like after 28 minutes of my computer+monitor being on doing basically nothing but being on, it used up 0.11 KWH.

28mins.jpg 0.11KWH.jpg

True.. there is peak and off peak values (they are listed on my bill, no phone call needed for me, luckily). The fees though, at least mine, have no bearing on wattage used unless you cross a threshold which, I've never done and I'm pretty blase` about my power consumption as far as summer and AC goes too. :chair:

All right, so time for speculation is over. Just doing nothing/forums/word processor for 4 hours and 30 minutes last night, I used 1.18 KWH.

Then I reset the measuring device, AFTER putting the system to sleep. Now results:
In 8 hours 33 minutes, the computer+monitor system used up 1.12 KWH in sleep mode.

I believe my power costs are average when compared to what the rest of the country pays and 1.12KW every night x 365 days would equal to just under fifty bucks a year.

So now it's time to figure out any flaws in my experiment.
1. I am 100% sure the figures are correct, I did take screen shots of the device. 8 hours 33 minutes and 1.12 KWH of power used.
2. Both computer and the monitor were in 100% sleep mode overnight.
3. How much does 1 KWH cost? Somewhere 12 cents somewhere 20 cents. So that equals between $50 and $75 per year for 1.12 KWH, does it not?

My system is listed below again, but it was in sleep mode for sure. I am standing by to modify the experiment in any way you want, I can even measure the cost of sleep mode of at least two laptops.

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT with 120mm Scythe S-Flex F fan
ATi Radeon HD 7870 XFX Black 2GB HDMI 2XDVI GDDR5 1050MHz Core Clock
OCZ Agility 3 180GB SSD
Asus Xonar DX sound card
Dell 23" LCD UltraSharp U2312HM
Antec nine hundred case, two front 120mm fans, one back 120mm Fan, one top 200mm fan
Corsair RM850 850W

All right, so time for speculation is over. Just doing nothing/forums/word processor for 4 hours and 30 minutes last night, I used 1.18 KWH.

Then I reset the measuring device, AFTER putting the system to sleep. Now results:
In 8 hours 33 minutes, the computer+monitor system used up 1.12 KWH in sleep mode.

I believe my power costs are average when compared to what the rest of the country pays and 1.12KW every night x 365 days would equal to just under fifty bucks a year.

So now it's time to figure out any flaws in my experiment.
1. I am 100% sure the figures are correct, I did take screen shots of the device. 8 hours 33 minutes and 1.12 KWH of power used.
2. Both computer and the monitor were in 100% sleep mode overnight.
3. How much does 1 KWH cost? Somewhere 12 cents somewhere 20 cents. So that equals between $50 and $75 per year for 1.12 KWH, does it not?

My system is listed below again, but it was in sleep mode for sure. I am standing by to modify the experiment in any way you want, I can even measure the cost of sleep mode of at least two laptops.

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT with 120mm Scythe S-Flex F fan
ATi Radeon HD 7870 XFX Black 2GB HDMI 2XDVI GDDR5 1050MHz Core Clock
OCZ Agility 3 180GB SSD
Asus Xonar DX sound card
Dell 23" LCD UltraSharp U2312HM
Antec nine hundred case, two front 120mm fans, one back 120mm Fan, one top 200mm fan
Corsair RM850 850W

For me, one kWh costs $0.093697.
That would equate to $38.30/yr.

So you are on the cheaper end but you actually would still end up saving the cost of a somewhat decent dinner for two? :D

The thing to remember though is when they say X cents per KWH, and you use up Y KWH, that doesn't always = X times Y because there are multiple fees that make the actual out of pocket cost in reality higher than simple X cents per KWH without those fees accounted for, correct?

So with that, you're talking maybe adding desert to that dinner you saved up for? :D

So you are on the cheaper end but you actually would still end up saving the cost of a somewhat decent dinner for two? :D

The thing to remember though is when they say X cents per KWH, and you use up Y KWH, that doesn't always = X times Y because there are multiple fees that make the actual out of pocket cost in reality higher than simple X cents per KWH without those fees accounted for, correct?

So with that, you're talking maybe adding desert to that dinner you saved up for? :D

I just realized something... by that amount of power used you were taking 131W while in sleep mode.
Something was (very) wrong there.

Yeah 131W while in sleep mode? Wow... just wow. My 6700K system with water pumps and 5 fans, 2 HDDs, 3 SSDs, Fancontroller, idles at like 67W. Not sure about my monitor though.

So with that, you're talking maybe adding desert to that dinner you saved up for?
What "fees" are dynamic in your electric bill? The RATE changes with peak and off peak, but "fees" don't change by the amount of power used, does it? Unless you use over XXXXW total? The only values that vary in my bill are the kWh with peak and off peak plus if I use more than the average on 'power savings' days in the summer (which I do).

So, as I was curious about earlier, I wonder how much the meter said wattage wise while in sleep mode.

Someone else needs to repeat my experiment using a Kill A Watt EZ Electricity Usage Monitor, I paid twenty bucks for mine, so get one through the front page or something and start measuring similar systems so we can compare apples to apples. Real world actual measurements vs. what we "believe" our systems are using.

Absolutely that sounds high and I am standing by to figure out what's going on and do any additional experiments suggested.

As for fees, just look at your own bill. Mine has six (6) additional charges. I will list just one here. Energy Cost Adjustment (ECA). The ECA charge is calculated by multiplying your total kWh usage each month by the corresponding factor. For details, go to www.kcpl.com/ECA

An additional "Customer Charge" equaled 33% [thirty-three percent!!!!] of my Energy Charge last month.

The meter has: Elapsed Time, Volts, Cost, Rate and KWH displayed. My model is p4460 - maybe other models have additional features? Get one. Today. :D

I did look at my own bill. That is why I asked what is on YOUR bill as, clearly, mine is different.

So that meter doesn't have a real time reading for wattage? LOL, that's pretty jenky...I have the P3 but a different model than yours.

EDIT: I put my PC to sleep and I show 4W on the meter (PC only).

EDIT2: PC off and monitor on standby (no signal) 3W...

Last edited:
Hook it up to a Personal Computer *and* your Monitor.
Post some readings before you go to sleep tonight along with what it was used for.

Then tonight put it to sleep mode, reset the P3, then post some P3 screen shots tomorrow with your system specs.

It would be *great* to see your results.

What does the KWH display say after X amount of time? That would be a good figure to have.
What is your model number?

I don't need to put it on overnight. I mentioned earlier that the wattage doesn't change when in sleep mode (assuming stays asleep I guess). A static reading should be fine.

Here is what I am seeing...
67W = PC ONLY idle
4W = PC ONLY put to sleep
112W = PC and monitor (Acer H233H 23" 1080p) idle
5W = PC and monitor (on, no signal so light is amber) to sleep

Can you confirm your meter doesn't show realtime wattage? If it does (it should?!), try taking numbers like I am...131W is a holy ton for a PC and monitor that is 'sleeping'... again, I'm sitting at 5W and it has been static from the last post to this one.

EDIT: I just put it and the monitor on the kWh timer... I will post back later...

Last edited:
C6,I'm betting that your computer may have woken up and gone back to sleep multiple times for your machine to be pulling 131 watts while asleep.

Does that number change if you turn off your monitors instead of letting them go to standby?

Which c-states do you have enabled in bios? Some are deeper sleeps than others and use less power.

I don't need to put it on overnight. I mentioned earlier that the wattage doesn't change when in sleep mode (assuming stays asleep I guess). A static reading should be fine.

Here is what I am seeing...
67W = PC ONLY idle
4W = PC ONLY put to sleep
112W = PC and monitor (Acer H233H 23" 1080p) idle
5W = PC and monitor (on, no signal so light is amber) to sleep

Can you confirm your meter doesn't show realtime wattage? If it does (it should?!), try taking numbers like I am...131W is a holy ton for a PC and monitor that is 'sleeping'... again, I'm sitting at 5W and it has been static from the last post to this one.

EDIT: I just put it and the monitor on the kWh timer... I will post back later...

Perfect data here EarthDog, this makes much more sense.

Assuming 5W, that's $0.0039/day, which totals to a WHOPPING $1.45/year to sleep your PC instead of shutting it down.
I think I find that much laying on the ground every year...

You know, Im thinking... if I am using 5W just sitting here, that won't show on my meter in kWh.. It only goes two decimal places. 5W would be 0.005kWh. So it will take a couple hours to register anything.

14 mins in, still 5W, nothing on the kWh reading in that time... off to shower, and play some games with the kiddo. Happy Veterans Day - thank you quasi Gov't job!! :)

i have an apc ups that tells me wattage used, it even calculates costs ect for me if i input the cost per kwh, for me its usually $0.12 ish per kwh my entire server rack everything idle in the rack pulls 174 watts which comes out to 4.18 kwh per day or $.50

the calculation is easiest to do by measuring the power draw of the item.

power draw in watts x hours running per day x days / 1000 = kwh
kwh x $per kwh = power cost

174 * 24 * 365 / 1000 = 1524.24 kwh per year
174 * .12 = $182 per year
to check my math vs the program just multiply my yearly cost by two (50 cents per day) and you will come up with 354~

i too have a kill-a-watt and just measure idle wattage and calculate it that way its much faster than dealing with time and figuring x-hours x-minutes x-kwh by the time you figure all that up youve spent more time working on the problem time is worth money then you lose money on math. :(

or i can just be lazy and click this tab and see all my usage by year / moth / week / ect
figures are a bit off as i just redid my rack bringing it down from almost 300w, and its about to go down another 50w this coming weekend.
c57d3801c729e2d7e5e348ed2cf534ac.png

This is the model I have:
http://www.p3international.com/products/p4460.html

You can tell what it displays and not displays there.

It could be a faulty model. My BIOS settings could be influencing this. If my Kill A Watt P4460 is not faulty, then that means that there are systems out there for which shutting down vs. sleep would save you a ton of money because Windows / BIOS / other prevents the system to go into full sleep?

All I know is that my monitor went dark when I went to bed and was dark when I woke up, and I took the readings and posted them here.

So let's do the BIOS first, where exactly would I check on which c-states I have enabled in bios?
I could do a sleep test *without* the monitor tonight?

I will basically do whatever is suggested in this thread and post back.
I may invest in another model if I see no results here.

I have Windows 10, XP, VISTA at my disposal too, so next time (tonight) I will use another OS to go to sleep in.

I also have this, so whoever gives me EXACT instructions on what and how to test, what and how to check and adjust - I will post the results.

RadioShackDigitalMultimeter.jpg

This is the model I have:
http://www.p3international.com/products/p4460.html

You can tell what it displays and not displays there.

It could be a faulty model. My BIOS settings could be influencing this. If my Kill A Watt P4460 is not faulty, then that means that there are systems out there for which shutting down vs. sleep would save you a ton of money because Windows / BIOS / other prevents the system to go into full sleep?

All I know is that my monitor went dark when I went to bed and was dark when I woke up, and I took the readings and posted them here.

So let's do the BIOS first, where exactly would I check on which c-states I have enabled in bios?
I could do a sleep test *without* the monitor tonight?

I will basically do whatever is suggested in this thread and post back.
I may invest in another model if I see no results here.

I have Windows 10, XP, VISTA at my disposal too, so next time (tonight) I will use another OS to go to sleep in.

enable power savings modes, eist, c1, and all that jazz in the bios that would be a good start.

i have the same model of a kill-a-watt.

Back