• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I shutdown automatically instead of hibernate or sleep?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Isn't hibernation basically the same thing as sleep? Essentially it writes what's in ram to disk and then shuts down, doesn't it?

Isn't hibernation basically the same thing as sleep? Essentially it writes what's in ram to disk and then shuts down, doesn't it?

Sleep keeps the RAM loaded while hibernate doesn't.

Hibernate writes the data in ram to the hdd, then powers off. Upon power up it writes it back and resumes. Sleep puts ithe in ram and goes to a very low power state.

Right, that's what I meant. So my question is, what's wrong with hibernate in this situation? I mean, if you have it set to hibernate after so much time idle, wouldn't that pretty much do the same thing as having it shut down automatically as far as saving power is concerned?

Right, that's what I meant. So my question is, what's wrong with hibernate in this situation? I mean, if you have it set to hibernate after so much time idle, wouldn't that pretty much do the same thing as having it shut down automatically as far as saving power is concerned?

Been saying that hibernate is what's needed since the first page.

This. Hibernate is what you need.

Back