• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobile unlock worked... with a pencil!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RoadWarrior

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd report a successful mobile mod to a MIUCB 0407 Duron applebred, using a pencil.

Pencil used= Very sharp "DIXON No.2 / HB" yellow with eraser on the end. (Previously used to unlock a spitfire, most conductive pencil I found after ransacking the house and testing 10 or so with a multimeter)

Technique, scratched at the edges of the pits in the two middle L5s with a needle first, to make sure bridges were exposing some contact area and it wasn't oxidised from the lasering etc. Then just ground the tip of the pencil into the pits with a wiggle, and ran it over the top a few times, blowing excess graphite dust off as I did it.

result, Full mobile unlock, multis to 24X

This works on the mobile bridges because they are active low and it connects them to the ground plane, don't do this on bridges that are active high, it won't work, the pits need filling.

Further info. Chip is doing 2133Mhz right now at 1.85V 16x133, stepping isn't good (Compare JIUCB Tbreds in cpudatabase) Full load 44C in Toast with custom air cooling. Might get a couple hundred more Mhz after burnin.

regards,

Road Warrior

I never tried the mobile unlock on my 1.8's but they all run @166 at default voltage. 2250Mhz. I think these applebred are pretty good bang for the buck.

Weird, I can't get my Dixons to do squat on my X800 for a pencil mod...only the Officemax pencils work there.

Hmmm maybe it depends on the batch. The only other pencil I know that's decently conductive is a "Basics" one (Office store chain in Canada, dunno about US) which could possibly be from same source as officemax, you never know. Whereas a common "name brand", Sanford "Eagle" pencils are usually crappy for conductivity in my experience.

I did the L2 mod (with a cheap mechanical pencil) to my Duron 1.6 and had it up to about 2.3 stable, and it could post at 2500. I also did the mobile mod (with the same mech. pencil) later on, even though I did not need to (0336). Then something happened and it no longer worked, no matter what I tried. That was when I was going to put it in my main rig.

Heh, I just tried it with the same pencil on a Tbred A in the older style package and it doesn't seem to be working. Did the exact same thing. However, this is using a different motherboard also. Using a K7S5A, and not sure whether it's supporting mobiles by default, or whther I've got to set a bit with WPCREDIT like I did with the KG7/AMD761 All the scant info I can find seems to point to it working natively.

However, the funny thing is, I pencilled round a couple of the voltage bridges also, for the hell of it, and ONE of them seems to have connected. Go figure, as they say.

Looks like I'll have to break out the conductive paint on the Tbred A.

RoadWarrior said:
Heh, I just tried it with the same pencil on a Tbred A in the older style package and it doesn't seem to be working. Did the exact same thing. However, this is using a different motherboard also. Using a K7S5A, and not sure whether it's supporting mobiles by default, or whther I've got to set a bit with WPCREDIT like I did with the KG7/AMD761 All the scant info I can find seems to point to it working natively.

However, the funny thing is, I pencilled round a couple of the voltage bridges also, for the hell of it, and ONE of them seems to have connected. Go figure, as they say.

Looks like I'll have to break out the conductive paint on the Tbred A.

I don't think the Ali Chipset supported Mobiles.

RoadWarrior said:
Hmmm, the chip died or the mod stopped working?

I am fairly positive that the whole cpu died. I took off all of the mods I had done (L2, mobile) and it still wouldn't work. It could sometimes get into the BIOS, but would usually just freeze even when I lowered the speed to below stock and overvolted it. It did the same thing in a few different mobos. Now it will almost never even boot, so I think it fried. I am not sure if it was related to the mod or something else though.
Good luck with yours.

Ohhhhkayyyy, K7S5A supports mobiles.... in it's own idiosyncratic way, boots at max multi of the chip, which for some reason seems to be 18x, so I had to set the FSB @ 100. :bang head

Redid the mobile unlock with defogger paint by the way.

This is a Tbred A, guess they didn't implement 24X multi until the B, just as well, sucker wouldn't have booted.

Hmmm dunno if the K7S5A will do a soft FSB change from 100-133 stably, seeing as how it has to switch PCI clocks.

Last edited:
Back