• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mouse Lag!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Correct - fire and brimstone. Format the OS drive from windows setup, install a fresh copy.

Others may have more things for you to try that might fix you up. I don't know any more than these other guys, they taught me everything, so do what you want. This is just what I would do at this point in if it were me.

So you did do a second re-install?
IMOG, his issue didn't occur until after his first " re-install".
My next suggestion would have been to format the hdd and do a "clean install".
Just load the chipset drivers,usb drivers(if available), graphix drivers, and "update" the os.
Run some prime95 or wprime to load the cpu. Check for lag.
Then install msi afterburner. Install furmark. Run furmark and watch the gpu temp.

:shrug:

I would check before loading Chipset and anything ondborder. Only if necessary, load graphics drivers. Then check for mouse lag each time before installing another driver or app. Just be extra diligent so if the problem returns, he knows exactly what causes it.

hello herminator. im not trying to disappoint you but. it seems . . .you are experiencing what ive experienced before. a grounded mobo "motherboard" do you have a tester with you ? does your case come with a ground wire ? have you checked your wirings ? this was the thing ive experienced before with my old rig. and it was too late before i took action and the mobo died.

+1 IMOG

c00l3st, he didn't have lag until after he re-installed the os the first time. So you would think it would have a software or hdd issue.
But coincidence's do happen..

So, now I've formated the OS drive and installed a fresh copy of windows. I only installed graphics drivers and tried 2 different games. I still had the lag. It maybe was a tiny bit better but the lag was still there.
Then I installed Chipsets but I still had the lag after that.

My x7 that I told you about before. One of those white microsoft mouses. A raptor-gaming m2 platinum and a mouse called labtech or something..
So I don't think it's a mouse problem..

Last edited:
Do you have any other wireless things around? I noticed my wireless laptop mouse was causing my desktop wireless mouse to lag if the wireless signals would cross. I re-arranged where the usb cable is positioned so the signals wouldn't cross and that fixed my issue.

Cell phone, wireless networks, all can play with your signals. Even with a usb mouse it still can cause issues if the cable is unshielded.

I've my cell phone in my pocket as usual, I've always had that so I find it hard that that could be the problem. Yes, I do have a wireless network, and I have a wireless networking card in my computer, could that be slowing it down (I'm not using the wireless network or my wireless network card)? Should I turn the wireless network off or take the network card out?

I also get interference in my living room on my HTPC at times... Nothing as consistent as it sounds like this guy is having however. It sounds like its pretty much all the time for him.

Also, in post #48 he mentioned he replicated the problem on 4 different mice. I agree with him that it isn't a mouse problem.

It almost sounds like he's seeing microstutter, and not mouse lag. I don't know of any instances of microstutter however that don't trace back to dual gpus.

Wireless networks and wireless mice can operate within the same part of the spectrum, best bet is removing the wireless card if you aren't using it, and turning off the wireless access point as well - at least long enough to tell if it makes any difference. I don't think this is the problem either, but at this point I don't want to rule anything out based on assumption.

Since a reinstall didn't fix it though, in my mind, that really is pointing towards something in the environment or a hardware problem.

This problem is getting way too complicated now.. Is it a hardware problem? Can it be that thing that c00l3st mentioned in post #44?

It could be I suppose, though I've never heard of grounding causing mouse lag. If you wanted to test, you just have to take the motherboard out of the case, and set it on a piece of cardboard like the motherboard box... Then if the mouse lag goes away, you just need to figure out what about putting the motherboard in the case is causing the problem and ensure its mounted properly.

I usually format and re-install windows on my computer once a year or something to make it fresh so to say.

Things I'd done before I posted on this forum:
-Turned off Vsync in games.
-Turned off Vsync on the graphics card in CCC.
-I've of course turned off mouse acceleration in windows.
-Turned the settings all the way down in games, almost no difference.
-Tried another mouse and mouse pad.
-Switched back to an old graphics card
-Tried taken out 2 gigs of ram.
-Reformatted my computer again.
-Reinstalled graphics card drivers.
-Reinstalled mouse drivers
-Tried other mouse drivers.
-Resetted BIOS by taking the out the cmos battery and putting it in again.

Things I've tried after I posted with the help of you guys:
-Tried using a ps/2 port adapter for the mouse.
-Switched memory slots.
-Did a diagnostic on both hard drive and memory.
-Re-applied thermal paste on the cpu.
-Took away 2 gigs of ram that didn't fit the ram that I already had.
-Tried booting with diagnostic startup on.
-Uninstalled my graphics drivers. Ran driver sweeper to uninstall every graphics driver that was on the computer and then installed graphics drivers again.
-Formatted and re-installed windows again and just installed the graphics drivers to try if it worked.
-Changed the refresh rate in CCC.

I had a similar problem in a folding PC. It ran beautifully before, then one day it started getting a terrible lag with the mouse, even the keyboard was effected.

The problem was, the BIOS had a default setting to turn on PowerNow, and I had made it worse by changing some settings in the BIOS, (designed ironically to increase computational performance).

The answer for me was to go into the BIOS (hit the "del" key a few times as it's booting up), and hit the f9 key to load the optimal power options. Now go change your power options to disabled (which in my case, were left ON by my optimal power settings - a dreadful error by the BIOS creators).

Then hit f10 and save those settings, and exit. (These are for an AMI BIOS, yours may be different, of course).

If your problem was like mine, your lag problem will be completely gone.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back