• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mouse Lag!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I had a similar problem in a folding PC. It ran beautifully before, then one day it started getting a terrible lag with the mouse, even the keyboard was effected.

The problem was, the BIOS had a default setting to turn on PowerNow, and I had made it worse by changing some settings in the BIOS, (designed ironically to increase computational performance).

The answer for me was to go into the BIOS (hit the "del" key a few times as it's booting up), and hit the f9 key to load the optimal power options. Now go change your power options to disabled (which in my case, were left ON by my optimal power settings - a dreadful error by the BIOS creators).

Then hit f10 and save those settings, and exit. (These are for an AMI BIOS, yours may be different, of course).

If your problem was like mine, your lag problem will be completely gone.

Good luck!

My bios didn't have anything called powernow. I googled it and there was something similar that was called Cool n' Quiet, that I had in my bios. I turned it off but it didn't make any difference.

I now tried to take my normal RAM out and put in 2 old ones with 1 gig each. That didn't work.
I've also noticed that the sound in games are a little bit after, just like the mouse

I've made another discovery. The lag is gone when I startup in safe mode..
What does this mean?

Most likely a driver conflict/issue. In safe mode, drivers don't load up.

Yep, but I've already tried format and re-installing windows and tried before installing drivers, I had the lag.. I think this is weird as hell

And you did try other mice?
Ok, "try this"..
Get another mouse> remove any mouse drivers if you installed them>go into device manager and "un-install" anything pertaining to a mouse(your mouse won't work so..)> reboot using the keyboard> while in the process of rebooting either shut off the power or switch to the other mouse before the post..

You did a long test on your hard drive and it passed.. Right?
Did you go to the mb's website for the latest chipset?
And it ran ok when in safe mode..
And you un-installed all the mouse software, if any, and un-installed the mouse in the device manager then input another brand/make of mouse in the board and you got the same result with the different mouse..

Maybe find a priest for an exorcism.. I think it's possessed..

I didn't do a long test, Maybe I should do that first.
Yep, I got chipsets from the mb's website.

I'll write again when I've done a long test on the hard drive

Now I've done a generic long generic test on my hdd (it took like 15 hours), and it passed.
I also did another test with memtest on the memory and this time I ran it 3 times with no errors.

So, is it the mb?

Now I've done a generic long generic test on my hdd (it took like 15 hours), and it passed.
I also did another test with memtest on the memory and this time I ran it 3 times with no errors.

So, is it the mb?
Did you try the mouse on another system?
What were the results?
We've done literally everything to nail down the problem.
I'm no expert, so maybe someone with some higher knowledge can give you a solution..:chair::shrug:

Did you try the mouse on another system?
What were the results?
We've done literally everything to nail down the problem.
I'm no expert, so maybe someone with some higher knowledge can give you a solution..:chair::shrug:

Nope haven't tried that yet. I can do that this weekend.

This is only a guess, but I'm thinking I know what happened here. It seems to me you installed the CPL mouse fix at some point on your old install, and forgot to do it on a fresh install. Try using the CPL mouse fix. It does exactly what you're trying to do: remove input lag.

If that still doesn't help, let us know.

This is only a guess, but I'm thinking I know what happened here. It seems to me you installed the CPL mouse fix at some point on your old install, and forgot to do it on a fresh install. Try using the CPL mouse fix. It does exactly what you're trying to do: remove input lag.

If that still doesn't help, let us know.

It didn't work. It could be a fps problem. Because I'm experiencing low fps in games.. Can that cause mouse lag?

It didn't work. It could be a fps problem. Because I'm experiencing low fps in games.. Can that cause mouse lag?

If you're getting low FPS, it very well could be an issue with your graphics driver.

I suggest you try updating them. :shrug:

If you're getting low FPS, it very well could be an issue with your graphics driver.

I suggest you try updating them. :shrug:

I've already done that. Well I've done almost everything now.. :-/
I'm ready to buy new hardware if that's the problem

Ok, I'm back!
I bought a new motherboard, new ram and a new cpu.
It didn't solve the mouse lag problem.. I guess the only thing left to buy is a new hdd

Back