• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My harddrive is making noises

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

princeofdarknes

My harddrive has recently been making loud click noises, such as the noises you would hear on shutdown and boot, i hear a click like its shutting off and another like its turning on. This is my secondary Western Digital 40gb, its a year or two old.
I have a Fortron Source 450watt psu, Sempron 64 2600+, FIC K8-800T, 2 UV ccfl's, a fan on 7v (using the 5v as a ground) and another fan on 5v floating infront of the harddrives, and i put some foam padding around the hdd bay to reduce a high pitched noise i've been hearing before this. It only increased temp of my other hdd from 40 to 44C (the one i hope that's in question doesnt have a temp sensor)

It used to do this same noise when i had the CCFL inverter's molex pasthrough before the hdd, i changed that recently when i got my new PSU, do you know what the problem may be? is it overheating? if its overheating due to the padding, is there any other way that i can reduce a highpitched noise coming from it cuz it gives me a headache if i dont turn some music on.

i hope you can help
thanx
-prince

Yeah... anytime you hear clicking noises like that, it's time to warranty it or bail out. All of the drives I've ever had had the same issue. It would deteriorate over time but that would be in a span of like a month. Eventually the drive will crap out.

so, i probably still got a couple weeks left to get a new hdd?
one thing i'm not liking right now is that i'm begining to believe its my primary hdd, the next reboot i do i'm gonna unplug my secondary from the powah and see if i still hear it.
so right now i'm backing some important stuff onto dvd's
toobad i dont have a warranty cuz i didnt really buy either in the first place, oh well

Yeah, definitely start backing up. If you keep running it, eventually that sound will present itself more often and your computer will start locking up.

Back