• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MYSTERY PRIZE AND HD5870 CHALLENGE REVEALED!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ozzlo

Senior whose title will pier
Hey guys, Here is the Mystery prize I promised!!!

MYSTERY PRIZE: EVGA GTX260

But wait i'm not done!!!

I am issuing a challenge to our folding contestants!

IF 50% of our contestants fold 10% more on week 6 of the contest than they have on their best week in weeks 1-4, I will throw in an XFX HD 5870!!!

RULES!

0. 50% of contest participants must have a weekly output on week 6 10% more than their best weekly output of the first 4 weeks of the contest.

1. if this challenge is not met then only the GTX260 will be given away. (hey this 5870 cost me $430 you guys gotta earn it ;))

2. The production of week 5 does not matter in this challenge. Only what you have produced in weeks 1-4 and then what you produce in week 6)

3. If you wish to join and be eligible to win the HD 5870, you will need to join prior to the drawing on 1/11/2010. If you join after this date, you will only be eligible for the GTX 260.

4. Only those participants that manage to increase their production on week 6 (by 10% more than weeks 1-4) will be eligible to win the prize. (if you have managed to fold at least 10% better than your best week of weeks 1-4 then you will be deemed eligible to win the prize and your contest entry's will be put towards a chance at winning the 5870.

4A. If you join between now and 1/11/2010, We will use http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ to track your stats, you will need to have 10% more production on week 6 of the contest than you have had on weeks 1-4 to be eligible for the 5870. Data from extreme stats will be used for weeks 1-4 since you just signed onto the contest.

5. The contest administration reserves the right to modify the rules of this challenge (promise only to make things more fair and fun).

6. If you increase your production by 30% then you will count as if 2 people has increased their production by 10%. 100%=5 people.

7. Those that are eligible to win the 5870 are also eligible to win the GTX 260 and any other 2nd prizes.

8.Intentionally Folding in someone else's name so that they specifically make their production requirement will be considered cheating. Any person caught doing so will be disqualified and Jeopardize the eligibility for the prize to be given away (depending on depth and severity of cheating). The contest administration reserves the right to request proof of a production increase. You may decline to provide proof if asked but will become ineligible for the prize and ineligible to contribute towards the challenge requirements. All other rules (found in the contest official rules thread) regarding cheating in this contest apply. Contestants that notice an abnormal production increase in their own stats or others should notify me right away. You may be eligible for bonus contest entries (up to double depending on severity) if someone (even a contest bystander) is caught cheating as a result of your report. If you have someone else folding for you, it is ok as long as they were also folding for you in the first 4 weeks of the contest. This rule is in place to protect fairness to myself (the 5870 prize donor) and fairness to the contestants. I really want to reward honesty and I won't cancel the challenge for everybody if people are up front and honest. THIS RULE IS NOT INTENDED TO DISCOURAGE BORGING (as long as you have permission) (in fact, if you can borg your moms computer, More power to ya ;))

EXAMPLES

Example 1
90 contestants total
15 contestants manage to increase output over best by 10%
The 5870 will not be given away.

Example 2
90 contestants total
contestants manage to increase output over best by 10%
1 contestant manages to increase output over best by 30%
= 45 equivilant contestants have increased production or (50% of contestants
)
The 5870 Will be given away

Example 3
On week 1 you folded 100,000 points
On week 2 you folded 120,000 points (best week)
On week 3 you folded 110,000 points
On week 4 you folded 0 points
On week 6 you fold 132,000 (or more) points (10% more than best)
You have contributed to the 50% participants 10% more than best requirement
If the 50% participants 10% more than best requirement is met you are also eligible to win the 5870 and your earned entry's for week 6 will go toward the chance at winning the 5870.

Example 4
You joined between now and 1/11/2010
On week 6 you folded 100,000 points
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ is used to determine how many points you earned during weeks 1-4 of the contest (even though you have not been participating in the contest we can still lookup your past production).
week 1 you folded 60,000 points
week 2 you folded 80,000 points
week 3 you folded 200,000 points (best week)
week 4 you folded 20,000 points
You have not contributed to the 50% participants 10% more than best requirement
You are not eligible for the 5870 drawing, however you are still eligible for the GTX 260 drawing.

Example 5
You joined between now and 1/11/2010
On week 6 you folded 200,000 points
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ is used to determine how many points you earned during weeks 1-4 of the contest (even though you have not been participating in the contest we can still lookup your past production).
week 1 you folded 60,000 points
week 2 you folded 80,000 points
week 3 you folded 100,000 points (best week)
week 4 you folded 20,000 points
You have contributed to the 50% participants 10% more than best requirement
If the 50% participants 10% more than best requirement is met you are also eligible to win the 5870 and your earned entry's for week 6 will go toward the chance at winning the 5870.

Please use the attached spreadsheet to determine the week 6 output you need to hit!

Attachments

• Winter Blaze Challenge.xls
    45.5 KB · Views: 212
  • Mystery prize.jpg
    Mystery prize.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:
Well I'm out I'm tapped out Ozzlo I won't be able to get another 10% out of my systems. Good luck to whoever is gonna win these two items cause its not gonna be me.

you are still eligible for the GTX 260 and the E5200/MSI CPU/MOBO combo prizes

and i'm considering changing the individual eligibility for the 5870 to 1 point better than their previous best based upon feedback.

Don't give up man! I'm trying to encourage a little production increase and trying to figure out how to do it in a creative way, but I don't want to scare anyone off. I need some feedback to make sure I got what will work best for everybody.

I tried my darnedest to come up with something that would be worthwhile of a giant bonus prize yet possible for people to meet the objectives. When figuring out the numbers, this is what I came up with...

My assumptions
Code:
Half the contestants are going to see this thread and know about the challenge (45)
5 of those that don't know about the challenge will still have 10% over their best producing week (5)
Half of those that know of the challenge are going to be able to muster a 10% production increase (22)
about 5-10 will be able to get a 30% increase (10-20 equivalency) 
and about 1-4 will be able to save the day with 100% increase (5 - 20 equivalency)

So I am expecting an equivalency anywhere from 42-67. and only 45 is required.

Last edited:
That 5870 will make OpenCL-love to the new GPU3 OpenMM client coming this year (2010). It will be well worth it to have in my rig. I will see about getting some new rigs online.

Folding Name: texasoverclockers

Are only those who are able to increase their production by 10% eligible for the 5870?

Edit: #7 answers my question

Last edited:
Cool idea. Now if I can figure out why my GPU's are EUE'ing I might be able to get somewhere. They've been running the same for 2 months now without problems. Grumble..

I'll be able to double my production by diverting some SETI GPU's to Folding so that should help out the average.

Just so I understand, if I was able to borg some machines in an attempt to boost my average, would that be against the rules outlined above?

My understanding is that as long at they aren't machines that were folding for another contestant (or I'm pretty sure a team 32 member), you are fine. Though we may want clarification if it is just other contestants (or T32 members?), or any other folders in general.

For example:
I have a friend who doesn't fold, I borg his machine with their permission, I'm sure this is 100% OK.

I have a friend who folds for another team. I convice him to fold under my username and team. I have a suspiction this would be ok, as it brings more points to our team. But I'd want clarification before doing so.

I have a friend on team 32 who isn't participating in the contest. I talk him into folding under my name. I'm 99% sure this won't be allowed. No net benefit to the team.

I have a friend on team 32 who is participating in the contest. I talk him into folding under my name. I'm 200% sure this is not allowed.

My understanding is that as long at they aren't machines that were folding for another contestant (or I'm pretty sure a team 32 member), you are fine. Though we may want clarification if it is just other contestants (or T32 members?), or any other folders in general.

For example:
I have a friend who doesn't fold, I borg his machine with their permission, I'm sure this is 100% OK.

borging is 200% ok as long as you have permission (how else are you going to increase production??? ;))

I have a friend who folds for another team. I convice him to fold under my username and team. I have a suspiction this would be ok, as it brings more points to our team. But I'd want clarification before doing so.
This is a grey area which i'm not quite sure how to make work with the rules. If you are going to hit your +10% mark without this person then i'm 100% ok with this. If you are using this person to get yourself eligible for the prize then i'm ok with this enough to let it slide if you contact me about it. The problem is that in such a fashion 1 person can circumvent the prize requirements by folding for 10 different people and giving 10% to each. (i'm simplifying things a bit but you get the idea.)

I think how I'm going to make this work is if you get an outsider folding for you then you will be uneligible for the +30% (counting as 2 people) or the +100% (counting as 5 people) towards the eligibility for the 5870 to be given away. (the + 30% and + 100% are explained a little bit in Post #3)

I have a friend on team 32 who isn't participating in the contest. I talk him into folding under my name. I'm 99% sure this won't be allowed. No net benefit to the team.
100% against however, I am 200% for it if you get a new guy to sign up and fold for you.

I have a friend on team 32 who is participating in the contest. I talk him into folding under my name. I'm 200% sure this is not allowed.
yep 200% not allowed.

As soon as I started typing up that rule I knew it was going to cause some complications and confusion. Please keep the feedback rolling in, I may axe it or try to re-write it if it's too complicated. We got about 5 days left before it begins.

Last edited:
Sounds awesome!

I should be able to get 10% more lol. Just added an i7 and a GTX 285 lol.
So maybe a 100% gain or more. :cool:

I'm all in. Power bill be ****ed, guess i gotta fire up the old sempron and 8600gt to add to my i7 folding bigadv's to meet the 10% requirement, maybe i can get my nephews athlon and my brothers pentium d for that week too, get even more production.

Count me in! i just bought a new phenom II X4 940 cpu and will use my current 9150e phenom in another machine and set that to fold. I'm just waiting on the new CPU to get here :). I do plan on borging some PCs at work but I have ask for permission...... then there's my laptop whos GPU and cpu can fold quite right.

Just to get this straight... you can only fold on PCs you have access, too, right? I mean you cannot tell your friend or online buddies to install the client on their PCs that is against the rules, right?

The other posts explain the rule much better.

Last edited:
Put my home box back on and cranked the OC up, we'll see if i can manage it, my best week was pretty fearsome.

Back