• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New board, Any ideas?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woodzy

I am looking into buying a new board for my system but really want to look into what i get has anyone got any ideas on a good board?

My choice would be the Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P for a good mid-range board. Plenty of features, good power system, and won't kill the budget.

I personally wouldn't recommend a budget board for a 9950BE. Too many of them have been fried by the power requirement. If you do get a budget board I'd plan on a cooler for the MOSFETs - I've already blown one board over-heating the power chips with a 9950 ...

So, then you do want to do SLI. I note from your sig that one of your Nvidia video cards was lined out.

ASUS Crosshair II Formula or Asus Crosshair III Formula which i know has AMD chipset but is it a good board?

Anygood?

Last edited:
Both the Crosshairs are fine but the Crosshair III is AM3 - your Phenom I will not run in it.

Personally, I think the Crosshair boards are over-rated. If you're willing to spend that much I'd get the M4A79 for AM2+ or the M4A79T for AM3.

BTW: When asking for hardware suggestions it really helps to give a price range ... ;)

Take it for what its worth and it may not be worth much but it seems like to me a disproportionate amount of motherboard problems that people post on this forum are with Nvidia chipset boards, at least on the AMD side. I also note that there are very few Nvidia chipset boards out that support the full blown AM3+ standard, that is to say that are DDR3 memory boards, even though DDR3 is no longer a new technology. If you look in the Intel cpu side there aren't all that many newer boards that use the Nvidia chipset either. Makes me wonder about the future of Nvidia as a motherboard chipset maker. Now I know you are intending to go with DDR2 memory from your sig but may be something to think about.

i must agree with you there im not going to argue, the reason i would like a board with nvidia chipset is because i have always gone with nvidia graphics cards so thats why i would prefer nvidia chipset.

What about the Foxconn Destroyer?

If you are running/are going to run SLI then, yes, you need an nVidia chipset. But an AMD chipset will run a single nVidia card - even two or more of them for Folding or SETI - it just won't run an SLI configuration ...

Back