• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build for a water chiller! 1/3Ton (1/2Ton TXV)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Oh it isn't don totally yet, Have to finish off the autoPruge system then build the box then add the bling in. Blue and white EL lights the glycol, and still haven't quite figured out how to integrate the mechanical thermostat, and haven't built a solid state one yet. Right now it's a drink cooler with a manual switch.

When don it will have Auto > Manual > Off

Auto = Thermostat
Manual = Turns on solenoid directly
Off = I really hope I don't have to define this one!

Yay, got to love R-134a (Mainly as thats all I can get here in Canada till I'm don my course! (97% on the mechanical aptitude test YAY :) )

Attachments

• Stupid refrigerant laws.jpg
    Stupid refrigerant laws.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 382
Ah K got the cell all insulated it is pulling down 11 Litres of water from 20C to 0C in Apx 29 to 30 minutes pending ambient temps (Havent stop watched it yet to be exactly)

Been using propylenGlycol and water as coolant, and added a high flow strainer to protect the pump for when the system is used open loop.

Updated pics to follow in the morning!

Attachments

• Full but blurry view.jpg
    Full but blurry view.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:
PICS!

dam over priced bateries <_< well here are the pics.

Attachments

• Bulk head.jpg
    Bulk head.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 233
  • electrical.jpg
    electrical.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 234
  • full shot of insulated cell.jpg
    full shot of insulated cell.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 242
  • Clear shot of insulated lines and filter+Pump.jpg
    Clear shot of insulated lines and filter+Pump.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 240
  • Clear shot of insulated lines and filter+Pump-90dgree shot.jpg
    Clear shot of insulated lines and filter+Pump-90dgree shot.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 233
Ty :D Well update: I got a small control panel built with a select switch, the unit can be driven in AUTO (With the thermostat) or Manual ( Which directly connects the solenoid to the AC by passing the thermostat)

I haven't got the LEDs soldered in yet and still working how to control the lighting effects for when they are added. I'm thinking of a red under glow using EL tape with All upper edges in Blue EL tape with white EL wire wrapped on the pipes with UV LEDs embed in the insulation so it fluoresces the coolant in visible spots.

Nov 2nd RIP Chiller!

During moving to a new place, the people helping hit the TXV and bent it at the connector 90 degrees!!! :( Means I have to build a whole new cell and bulk head, this time I am going to omit the sub cooler as I am getting no real gains from it and it adds un-needed bulk, and I may implement Vibration dampeners this time to reduce stress on the cell.

Other then that the whole system had been operating flawlessly for a couple months, pump down cycles, solenoid system the works. So needless to say rather saddened by this sudden death (Well more like Negligence causing death by the movers) Will post a new series of pics for the new cell so stay tuned! Won't be for a while as I am working full time now.

With murmurings of chillers I figured I'd bounce this for the newbs to see.

and an Update Today I tore off the chiller cell that came to a bruatal demise during moving to me new apartment and stripped off the valuable parts.

The new cell is going to be a coaxial shell/tube exchanger as I'm to damned broke to afford a flat plate (Wich I'd love to use) The coax is a comercialy built one so big gains there, it is rated for 1-1/2Tons So the coil will have a nicely spread out delta on a 6,000BTU/H chiller so this will help avoid the thing from freezing over.

If I could think of anything that a plate HX could be salvaged out of thats portable Id throw out ideas.

I only know of some of the home and business HAVC applcations were there used.

That is a really intresting way to get R-134a, i had never thought about that here in the States, will have to see if that works here too. how are you planning to keep the chiller, some sort of case or out in the open?

I grew up in industry where every thing is left wide open for easy maintanance, so I think I'll leave it out in the open to enjoy the beauty of the pipes and componants working :D why hide that beauty behind metal eh ?

Back