• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

phenom ii 965be c3 just cant get it stable hellp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krisxzx

Registered
hi
This is my first post and im new to this forum, ive read through loads of posts and taken on board from what i can understand from them, ive tried just changing the multiplier and the changing the clock speeds and having a lower multiplier, also i bumped the voltage up slightly (this is the part im scared of :screwy:), prime 95 ran for about an hour with no problems but then it blue screened me with a rounding error half way through watching a video
so basically im looking for some settings that has worked for others that i can try (i know they say every chip is different but i need i starting point), and some info on the NB etc

my specs are (budget build BTW) :
asrock 890fx deluxe 3
phenom ii 965be c3 revision
corsair value ram 4g (temp lol)
750w power supply
7800gtx oc
wd 640gb hdd and 500gb hdd

thanks in advance :)

If your motherboard came with the ASRock software that includes EasyTuner auto-overclocking software I would start there. There are plenty of people who will scoff at this suggestion, but the fact is that current overclocking software is pretty good overall. You won't find an extreme maximum OC this way, but the OCs that the software produces will be stable, and then you can tweak things a bit from those settings. As an example, when I got this FX-4170 a couple months ago I first ran the ASUS AI Suite OC tuner, and it gave me a rock solid stable 4.6Ghz OC over the stock 4.2 Ghz. I ran that for a couple of weeks while I explored the OC options of this new CPU. When I decided to push things further, I had a list of bus frequencies that the AI Suite chose that it tested stable, so I had a good starting point to proceed further. The #1 thing to remember if you try the OC software is to be patient!! No matter what happens and how long it takes, wait longer. The OC software will seem like it has crashed sometimes, but it is testing OCs, right up to the failure point. Kick back and let it do it's thing, AND whenever it reboots (usually several times while trying different OCs) make sure to select "Start Windows normally" if you get an OS boot prompt.

P.S> Welcome aboard. I hope you enjoy your journey into the OC world. It is rewarding "getting something for nothing" just by tuning your PC to get the maximum potential from it.

Last edited:
ok thanks for the quick reply :)
i didnt have this software with my mobo so il use google to try and find it, i have however used the amd auto clock but as soon as i apply the settings i get a bluescreen so il try the software you suggested and be sure to check back and let you know the results
thanks again :)

I would try the ASRock site to get their Auto OC software, I believe it is called "EasyTune". The BSOD you are describing sounds like a memory clock error. When exploring to find your best CPU OC it is best to leave all memory settings on Auto. If you up the fsb(bus frequency) it also ups the memory speed, and if it can not handle that new speed it will have errors or not even boot. The best procedure is to get your best CPU OC first, followed by getting your maximum NB speed, and finally by tightening the memory to its maximum speed and tightest timings.

Welcome to the forums krisxzx.

There are not many people here that put much stock in auto colck or software overclocking software. If you have time look through some older threads that have to do with AI Suite and AMD Overdrive and the problems and frustrfations they have caused people. The VAST majority will tell you the best way to get a good stable OC is to do it manually and there are some very good people here that will help you achieve this safly. To do this we will need more info from you. Most is pretty simple to do.

First you will need to create a signature with your system stats. Be a little more specific about your hardware, Case, CPU Cooler etc ..... take a look at mine below. This is imortant as it will follow you throughout the thread and allows someone helping you know what hardware you have without having to jump back and forth in the thread constantly. You can find a link in the menu's above under quick links ..... Edit Signature. Its Very simple to do.

Secondly you will need to download a couple of little programs to help you monitor your temps as well as display vital settings in your OC. This will help people helping you dial in your settings for your OC. You will need... Cupid HD Monitor and CPUZ and Core Temp and a stresss tester like Prime95

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103/ - 32BIT
http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=205 - 64BIT

Third we will ask you to post some screen shot showing ..... From CPUZ .... the CPU, memory and SPD Tabs and HW Monitor all while running Prime95.

When you are able to get this all done come back and post the screens and someone will be glad to help.

Welcome to the forums krisxzx.

There are not many people here that put much stock in auto colck or software overclocking software. If you have time look through some older threads that have to do with AI Suite and AMD Overdrive and the problems and frustrfations they have caused people. The VAST majority will tell you the best way to get a good stable OC is to do it manually and there are some very good people here that will help you achieve this safly.

Yup, you will find threads about people having problems using Auto-OC software. Compared to the number of threads from novices attempting to manually OC ,like this one for instance, and having problems (up to and including trashing their OS or damaging gear) they are a very tiny number though. That is a fact. The other thing about the Auto-OC fails I have read and have participated in discussion about is that most of them appear to be PEBKAC related (usually not being patient), and have nothing to do with the actual software. There is no doubt that with a bit of knowledge you will probably get a better OC doing it manually, but having the base settings that the Auto OC chooses will give somebody(particularly a novice at OCing) a great place to proceed from.

My personal suggestion would be to ditch ALL overclocking software and do it sorely in the BIOS. OC software all they do is cause problems in my experience.
For monitoring temps I like Open Hardware Monitor and Prime95 for stress testin'.

As bassnut said, get a signature so we can all see your specs.

ok hopefully the info you require will be below :S

Attachments

• pc1.jpg
    pc1.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 124
and the rest :

Attachments

• pc2.jpg
    pc2.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 95
  • pc3.jpg
    pc3.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 103
You have not got much room to play with, as you're core temps are at 50+ at stock vcore and the rule of thumb is 55c being about the max you want to go under load. Are you using The stock cooler ? If so then you need to find a decent aftermarket on before I could recommend proceeding with a overclock using more vcore, as once you add vcore to the CPU it will drastically increase the temp of the CPU meaning instability and more bsod (not good). As others have already stated I would not recommend using any sort of software to get a stable overclock as there are too many variables in each individual system for one programme to cover them all meaning that the software massively overcompensates for voltages etc meaning massive heat and power consumption where it is not necessary . There are some good guys on this AMD section who will guide you through step by step to achieve the best that you're system can handle and stable with it.

Thanks for getting all that stuff posted. After taking a look at your info you posted I noticed you were using the Asus Lion Square as your CPU Cooler. By the looks of your settings you have your system at stock settingas at the momment and your temps are getting close to the upper limit of stability at around 55*C which is why you were getting the blue screenwhen you OC.

I did a bit of digging on your CPU Cooler and found this .......

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/asus-lion-ac-freezer.html

I don’t think that the conclusions I am going to draw today will take anyone by surprise. ASUS Lion Square turned out just a good cooler. I would suggest that in the next cooler modification the manufacturer replaces the 92-mm fan with a 120-mm one with nine aggressive blades, increases the supported rotation speed range and allows manual adjustment. They will have to make the hole inside the heatsink larger, they may even have to make the cooler larger as well, but only in this case the “baby lion” could grow up into a real beast.

I just skimmed through it but from what I can see it is very inadiquit for the job when cooling the 965 BE. If you want to OC your CPU I would start with putting the stock cpu cooler back on till you can get a better cooler for your CPU. Thats just my thoughts and give this thread a bit of a chance for more people to see it and post thier thoughts as well.

ahh ok now i really wish i paid the extra for the 212+, BTW with the stock cooler whilst running prime 95 i had to stop the test because it ran to 63 degrees, so there's really no room for a slight overclock ?

You could up the CPU multi And test for half a hour with prime and see how far you can go on stock vcore, it's a c3 so you should be ok far a small oc on stock

ok keny thanks il run it at x18 giving me 3.6 and see how it goes.........

oh and ive got a 120mm fan blowing directly in to the cooler so i guess that guy who wrote that article was wrong :L

Attachments

• IMG_1617.JPG
    IMG_1617.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 110
If you want to push it and it fails prime you have around 5c temps to play with so you may be able to bump the CPU vcore up one notch to gain stability but that will be about it before you are teaching the golden temp of 55c

ok so when you say one notch what should the vcore read? i know it might sound like a dumb question but i fried my old 9550 when i started messing about when i had no clue what i was doing lol i can laugh about it now by 6 months with out a pc was not fun haha

I can't comprehend how that that Asus cooler be worse or cost more then the Hyper 212+.
You should be able to AT LEAST reach 3.8GHz.

Your max temp on your screenies are under load right? Because otherwise there's something wrong there.

ok so when you say one notch what should the vcore read? i know it might sound like a dumb question but i fried my old 9550 when i started messing about when i had no clue what i was doing lol i can laugh about it now by 6 months with out a pc was not fun haha

Well, you I guess you should do it in increments of 0.25v and it would also help if you tells how what kind of LLC (if any) your MoBo has, because that can make a difference in temps in my experience.

You're currently running 1.375 stock, and I would increase it by the smallest amount you're board will let you and keep ane eye on you're core temp, I just had a quick look at you're hwm pic and I don't know what's going on with you're boards temp sensors as there reading some crazy temps on max, I hope there false readings (I'm pretty sure they are) but if anyone knows thus board or has experience with it will know if they are unreliable, I'm using my phone to reply so if spelling and gramma are poor that's my excuse :escape:

Back