• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sabertooth 990FX or ASRock 990fx Fatal1ty Edition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kshortes

First off let me start with saying hello, I'm Kyle...noob to the boards and building PCs in general...however I'm learning quickly...I got my Phenom II 1090T in and am on to ordering my mobo....question is...I'm not sure which of the two to get..

Both have promising features...but I'm really only aware of ASUS's reputation...and help or input would be great... 200 bucks is pretty much my spending cap for a MOBO or I'd be looking into the Formula V. Thanks for the help :p

First off let me start with saying hello, I'm Kyle...noob to the boards and building PCs in general...however I'm learning quickly...I got my Phenom II 1090T in and am on to ordering my mobo....question is...I'm not sure which of the two to get..

Both have promising features...but I'm really only aware of ASUS's reputation...and help or input would be great... 200 bucks is pretty much my spending cap for a MOBO or I'd be looking into the Formula V. Thanks for the help :p

I'd go with the Sabertooth. Only because I don't know too much about ASRock, I do hear they make good boards but other than word of mouth I'm not really too informed on them. ASUS makes excellent boards, Gigabyte does, too. The Sabertooth is great though as it is Bulldozer-ready so if you want to upgrade in the future you're good (the ASRock is, too). Plus, the Sabertooth is supposedly one of the sturdiest motherboards from what I've heard, I'm ordering one myself, soon.

The Crosshair V in terms of performance is excellent, but from what I've read people have said it's fragile and breaks easily and I've heard a lot of horror stories about people receiving them broken.

But either board I'm sure is great, as I said the ASRock is probably a great board I just am not too familiar with the company and their boards, but I'd say go with whichever one you like more, honestly. For me it was between the Sabertooth and Crosshair V and I chose the Sabertooth because the $50 difference didn't seem worth it, plus like I said all of the stories about the CrossV being fragile.

Sabertooth it is....thanks guys :)
Hello. I saw this thread & joined to drop my 2-sense. I actually prefer the ASRock 990FX Fatal1ty over the Sabertooth 990FX. There are legitimate reasons to chose one over the other, but idk if you have weighed them all. Some to consider:

***ASUS is actually the parent company to ASRock, so they're all in the family that way. However, the Sabertooth has a 5yr warranty versus Fatal1ty's 2yr. There is also the ~$10-20 difference in price.

***The Fatal1ty boasts a 12+2 Power Phase Design, greater heatpipe cooling from NB-PWM, DUAL Gigabit Ethernet Teaming ability, X-Fast Mouse/Keyboard port....

***I will say that the whole Fatal1ty themed stuff is a load of BS & I'd to see it die a horrible agonizing death....but the 12+2 Power Phase is the key selling point since it's the only board that sports it atm (I may be wrong). It will yield some really solid voltages with very little to no vDroop & a much better OC environment.

Please don't get me wrong - the Sabertooth is a very solid & capable choice for a 990FX board. I felt that you made your choice rather prematurely & wanted to shed some extra light. Color scheme, slot placement and other "seemingly" minor differences will always come into consideration as well.

Hope this helped :thup:

It's a shame there is no debug led on the sabertooth. Also it has not a clear cmos switch on the I/O panel, so +1 for the asrock. Those capacitors are pretty sexy on the asrock as well.

I wouldn't touch any board from ASUS unless it's ROG series, their support is making me sick and there are always problems with cheaper boards. I had many ASUS boards and most had the same problems with BIOS and other annoying issues. I didn't try AsRock 990FX but their new series are really good quality, stable and without bigger issues. Even if there any issues then support is fixing it fast not like with ASUS when you wait half year for update.
I really like my Gigabyte but I won't recommend it till I see BD with LLC on this board.
From these 2 I would pick AsRock and I agree with many things that Energun said.

debug is a nice feature, it does slow the boot/reboot process considerably, some people get turned off by that....I have been on the AsRock bandwagon for awhile now, switched when DFI passed on....5 year warranty is nice...

laterzzzzz...........

debug is a nice feature, it does slow the boot/reboot process considerably, some people get turned off by that....I have been on the AsRock bandwagon for awhile now, switched when DFI passed on....5 year warranty is nice...

laterzzzzz...........

debug can be switched off in case it bothers you.

Back