• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sabertooth 990FX Upgrade - Not so nice!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The only way i can think of why the Sabertooth is warming your FX-8150 up more than the CHIVE is because the 990FX Chipset is pushing the CPU harder, perhaps even making more use of the architecture vs the 890FX Chipset.

The only way i can think of why the Sabertooth is warming your FX-8150 up more than the CHIVE is because the 990FX Chipset is pushing the CPU harder, perhaps even making more use of the architecture vs the 890FX Chipset.

I was thought that too. He did say "performance" was not improved though.

While all he posted here has been stress tests, and I suppose a more patient man could actually look at the prime screen shots and check timestamps vs file size and see which actually performed better, without seeing benchmarks run I couldn't say which board is right.

hmm just gave me soemthing to google. thanks :rain:

More reading tonight :p

EDIT Quick edit after hitting 30 different links and still not finding a direct 890FX vs 990FX for bulldozer, I did find it for a thuban...

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2011/08/31/asrock-890fx-deluxe5-review/2

Checkout those HTREF speeds on 990FX. Looks like 990FX is going to lead to a lot more high AMD scores (AM3 I mean) on the bot for locked chips :) 345 HTREF on AIR? WTH!!! Damn I wonder if If I still have my sempron 140 that did 305 on stock cooler i and 315 on LN2? cuz of crappy board limits on 890fx?

Im not saying that was equitable review.. just that it was interesting to see some crazy high HTREF clocks. (without having to go with a AM2+ board)

ASRock 890FX Deluxe 5 - 4.13GHz: 295MHz HTT x 14
MSI 990FXA-GD80 - 4.2GHz: 247MHz HTT x 17
Asus Sabertooth 990FX - 4.09GHz: 315MHz HTT x 13
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 - 3.95GHz: 305MHz HTT x 13
Asus Crosshair V Formula 4.14GHz: 345MHz HTT x12

Last edited:
Well everything is back in the CHIVE and working just dandy. No problems to get 4.8 GHz stable, even though room temps are 76F. Spent a little extra time fine tuning speedfan and now I can do most normal things, even watch BD and the fan is nice and quite. As long as temps stay below 50C. it very nice and reasonably quite. Wife is happy!!!

Here's the latest test run. 17 minutes of Prime95 torture blend. Never went above 64C. looking at my ROG notebook. This is as good as I have run this FX-8150. It feels like it would do more, but I think I'm good.

Thanks for reading.

-Rodger

Attachments

• 4.8-fully_stable_CHIVE_motherboard_FX-8150_CPU_64C_max_temps_17_min_prime95_torture_blend.jpg
    4.8-fully_stable_CHIVE_motherboard_FX-8150_CPU_64C_max_temps_17_min_prime95_torture_blend.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 133
I've always been skeptical of "sideways upgrades" where one upgrades just because something is newer. If you look at the 990FX reviews you will see that it has identical silicon to the 890 chipset. The only difference is that Motherboards with 990FX are guaranteed to be AM3+ compatible and can license SLI. So basically you paid several hundred dollars to switch to a motherboard with a different layout, BIOS, and electrical design.

It's been brought up before in this thread, but I don't think the Sabretooth is really meant to be an overclocker's board. It's really targeted to run in extreme environments, be stable at stock clocks, and last a long time. The Anandtech 990FX roundup actually mentions that Bulldozer runs hot in this board and thus they couldn't overclock it much compared to the other 990FX boards.

One of my friends in high school once told me to only upgrade components when there is a potential for a 50% performance increase at the same price point. That philosophy has served me well so far although I haven't strictly stuck to the 50% number. I expect a significant performance increase with every upgrade at roughly the same price point. If I'm paying more than I did in the past the performance should increase by that much more.

Come to think of it, his rule might have been to expect 2x performance at the same price point. This was actually reasonable back then when you could have gone from a $240 PIII 500E to a Thunderbird 1Ghz for the same price 1 year later. I miss those days.

lets see then to upgrade in these days i would need a processor that would run 6300ghz, 24/7 at 25c i dont think im going to be seeing that soon. but if i could i surly would!!!!!

Upgrading mobo to 990FX implies upgrading to BD/PD in the future.

I call it a "piece meal setup"

Advantages of 990FX?

Well Hypertransport 3.1. Same bit depth it is faster. Better power control (theoretically, depends on the board advances in engineering allow 990FX sabertooth up to 3.4 MHZ VRMs). PCI express 3.0 (again is it worth it?)

No.. but in 3 years when the sabertooth 990FX can be bought at a steal for $50 used. Its worth it :) And if you buy it now it will still be working then. Should support PD, it is ASUS after all and they continue to support their good products for 3-5 years.

And who knows when PCIexpress 3.0 becomes a necessity.

Im not even thinking GFX BTW. Im thinking RAID controllers. I know on p67 the PCIE3,0 boards did not have switches capable of muxing 3.0, does the sabertooth? It will be in my review :p

Last edited:
i have been looking at other boards to upgrade from my sabertooth, the crosshair v and the asrock extreme 4 , the crosshair looks to be an upgrade due to lower cpu voltage required and better heatsinks. the asrock looks to be a down grade or a move sideways due to lesser heatsinks but lower cpu voltage required.

As of right now, I would have to say the CHV "is" the 990FX board of choice for overclocking the BD and might be for the PD when released. In my mind, the CHIVE "was" the board of choice for Phenom and in my case also for the BD until I go to the CHV. I may just have had a bad Sabertooth, but that thing wouldn't listen to me, and I don't like it when my hardware doesn't listen to me. I suppose it's because I'm getting too old and starting to get cranky about my stuff not paying attention anymore like it use to.

I will say however, it sure has been fun messing with computers, all most all of my life now. Started way back around '64 or '65 when I built my first one. Got the plans from an old electronics magizine and the parts from Olson Electronics in Whittier CA. It was really only a ganged flip-flop gate setup, more or less a precursor to a simple calculator with a row of 8 lights for output and 8 momentary push button contacts for input. But it was the start to this crazy world of computers that I never found my way out of.

Like is said, it's been a fun ride and hope to enjoy it for some time to come.

-Rodger

Ole folks wondering...me.

@marjamar >> thanks for sharing your experience man. From the first post to the one just above.

The situation is and was that you 'know' what you are looking for. You have records and experience. I suggest that records is a very good thing. It is what helps my experience as I age. Hehehe.

Not fully sure I buy into Sabretooth for less than perfect environments and thus longevity and the CHV for overclocking. That is a good thought though. If it is true; then the vast majority of users moving from mid-level AM3+ AMD motherboards, would find some goodness in their move to Sabretooth AM3+ setup.

Then enter the thought that the CH series and then the CHV would be a better choice for pure overclocking of the newer FX-series. Maybe a better choice even for purely pushing the 'late' X6 thubans that AMD has seemingly removed entirely from the Retail market in the Usa and major markets. I mean AMD means you will buy BD. Hehehe.

I often speculate or theorize in my mind what is a best course. What could be done to help a majority? Would we and the majority benefit from an AMD forum section strictly for beginner overclocking? I speculate this based on what most of us that have tried to help on a very regular basis, see as the first post into the AMD cpu section.

I know that it is not just the cpu that figures in an overclock and in fact the first thing I look for in that users first post is the type/brand of motherboard. So why are the majority of beginner overclocking questions placed in the AMD Cpu forum section? I expect that the majority of beginning to overclock questions are accompanied by motherboards; that many of us that have done this for years, would see as only mid-level or lesser calibre of motherboard. (A thought I had while typing this is that the Sabretooth for the just mentioned, would indeed be a step-up and not a lateral move.) I do not want to digress here.

Now after what may seem rambling, I wonder if detailed scenarios; such as you have experienced, would not have been better suited to some other forum designator? I have no issue with your finding of 'just a single sample', to be less than suitable for your current situation. I think you are fully capable, experienced and financially able to setup a configuration and within parameters, to decide if your latest purchase is bang for your buck.

What I do wonder is whether a thread title like, "Sabertooth 990FX Upgrade - Not so nice!", is not a misnomer? Again I suggest your methodology in your personal testing is without fault as far as I am concerned. However the board in question, would be a good upgrade to the in-experienced, who has become somewhat more experienced and could benefit from a better board and one surmised possibly to work better in a more harsh environment but still overclock to within percentage points of what we consider to be the more premier overclocking motherboads? I would think that someone with a very entry level motherboard would not begin to understand what you have with years of experience made conclusion about.

I say this in all seriousness, because I know the first time poster has not read these threads with an eye to detail and applicable information. Read the first posts that are nearly always reflected in the same manner. I think you get my drift as it were. There are thousands upon thousands of words taking up space in this forum in many forum sections, I would speculate that have the answer already to a first time users questions about overclocking an AMD cpu/motherboard combo. That however does not or has not changed the first post in a thead in most situations.

I need to close now. My mind is wandering. It is hard enough to make words readable/understandable. No sense in typing words that may surely be of little value.

What I think I intended to say in closing is that users should in no way refrain from a 990FX Sabretooth motherboard, when currently using a mid-level or lesser motherboard. The Sabretooth most likely would be a step in a better direction for them and their overclocking endeavors. The Sabretooth might well be able to function longer and in a harsher environment, than most boards, based on some thoughts interjected in this thread of yours.

I have made many recommendations of the Sabretooth 990FX as I felt it to be a good choice upward from boards likely in a lesser category. This recommendation to and for the majority of users, I see struggling with entry level motherboards.

Perhaps we do need other forum sections? Entry level overclocking by cpu manufacturer. Then route all threads to what might be more practical methodolgy of categorization.
Crap RGone...quit writing.

PS: @'marjamar', thank you for sharing. It was a good read. It is more information to thorougly consider when I make my next purchase from my now limited funding situation. I only need a play setup. Play overclock. I have plenty of working computers but I would very much like to experiment when PD arrives.

Post thought not conveyed well at all. So it is struck-thru.

RGone...ster. :chair:

Last edited:
Never to be repeated again in anything resembling the near future is my solid guesstimation.

This is definitely true, especially at the high-mid range. I think the idea of waiting for a significant performance jump before upgrading is still valid for value-concious consumers. I went from an AM2 [email protected] to a PHII BE [email protected] and I definitely achieved a significant performance jump in the applications I cared about which at the time were GTAIV (close to 50%) and Handbrake (probably nearing 2x). I hope my next likely upgrade to a Piledriver octocore yields a hefty speedup in Handbrake as well.

Upgrading mobo to 990FX implies upgrading to BD/PD in the future.

I call it a "piece meal setup"

Advantages of 990FX?

Well Hypertransport 3.1. Same bit depth it is faster. Better power control (theoretically, depends on the board advances in engineering allow 990FX sabertooth up to 3.4 MHZ VRMs). PCI express 3.0 (again is it worth it?)

No.. but in 3 years when the sabertooth 990FX can be bought at a steal for $50 used. Its worth it :) And if you buy it now it will still be working then. Should support PD, it is ASUS after all and they continue to support their good products for 3-5 years.

And who knows when PCIexpress 3.0 becomes a necessity.

Im not even thinking GFX BTW. Im thinking RAID controllers. I know on p67 the PCIE3,0 boards did not have switches capable of muxing 3.0, does the sabertooth? It will be in my review :p

I understand this, but it still doesn't make sense to buy it now before all these features are available. Why not buy it when the Piledriver chips are available and you can actually take advantage of these features. Motherboard prices are more likely to drop as time goes on.

Also the PCIE3, HT3.0, and other benefits are a function of the CPU, PCB layout, and BIOS support the 990FX chipset itself is a rebranded 890FX.

@marjamar >> thanks for sharing your experience man. From the first post to the one just above.

The situation is and was that you 'know' what you are looking for. You have records and experience. I suggest that records is a very good thing. It is what helps my experience as I age. Hehehe.

Not fully sure I buy into Sabretooth for less than perfect environments and thus longevity and the CHV for overclocking. That is a good thought though. If it is true; then the vast majority of users moving from mid-level AM3+ AMD motherboards, would find some goodness in their move to Sabretooth AM3+ setup.

Then enter the thought that the CH series and then the CHV would be a better choice for pure overclocking of the newer FX-series. Maybe a better choice even for purely pushing the 'late' X6 thubans that AMD has seemingly removed entirely from the Retail market in the Usa and major markets. I mean AMD means you will buy BD. Hehehe.

I often speculate or theorize in my mind what is a best course. What could be done to help a majority? Would we and the majority benefit from an AMD forum section strictly for beginner overclocking? I speculate this based on what most of us that have tried to help on a very regular basis, see as the first post into the AMD cpu section.

I know that it is not just the cpu that figures in an overclock and in fact the first thing I look for in that users first post is the type/brand of motherboard. So why are the majority of beginner overclocking questions placed in the AMD Cpu forum section? I expect that the majority of beginning to overclock questions are accompanied by motherboards; that many of us that have done this for years, would see as only mid-level or lesser calibre of motherboard. (A thought I had while typing this is that the Sabretooth for the just mentioned, would indeed be a step-up and not a lateral move.) I do not want to digress here.

Now after what may seem rambling, I wonder if detailed scenarios; such as you have experienced, would not have been better suited to some other forum designator? I have no issue with your finding of 'just a single sample', to be less than suitable for your current situation. I think you are fully capable, experienced and financially able to setup a configuration and within parameters, to decide if your latest purchase is bang for your buck.

What I do wonder is whether a thread title like, "Sabertooth 990FX Upgrade - Not so nice!", is not a misnomer? Again I suggest your methodology in your personal testing is without fault as far as I am concerned. However the board in question, would be a good upgrade to the in-experienced, who has become somewhat more experienced and could benefit from a better board and one surmised possibly to work better in a more harsh environment but still overclock to within percentage points of what we consider to be the more premier overclocking motherboads? I would think that someone with a very entry level motherboard would not begin to understand what you have with years of experience made conclusion about.

I say this in all seriousness, because I know the first time poster has not read these threads with an eye to detail and applicable information. Read the first posts that are nearly always reflected in the same manner. I think you get my drift as it were. There are thousands upon thousands of words taking up space in this forum in many forum sections, I would speculate that have the answer already to a first time users questions about overclocking an AMD cpu/motherboard combo. That however does not or has not changed the first post in a thead in most situations.

I need to close now. My mind is wandering. It is hard enough to make words readable/understandable. No sense in typing words that may surely be of little value.

What I think I intended to say in closing is that users should in no way refrain from a 990FX Sabretooth motherboard, when currently using a mid-level or lesser motherboard. The Sabretooth most likely would be a step in a better direction for them and their overclocking endeavors. The Sabretooth might well be able to function longer and in a harsher environment, than most boards, based on some thoughts interjected in this thread of yours.

I have made many recommendations of the Sabretooth 990FX as I felt it to be a good choice upward from boards likely in a lesser category. This recommendation to and for the majority of users, I see struggling with entry level motherboards.

Perhaps we do need other forum sections? Entry level overclocking by cpu manufacturer. Then route all threads to what might be more practical methodolgy of categorization. Crap RGone...quit writing.

PS: @'marjamar', thank you for sharing. It was a good read. It is more information to thorougly consider when I make my next purchase from my now limited funding situation. I only need a play setup. Play overclock. I have plenty of working computers but I would very much like to experiment when PD arrives.

I'm going to partially disagree with you here. The Sabretooth might be a fine choice for a beginner looking for a mild overclock on a high-quality board with minimal hassle. However, the temperature issue is a deal-killer for the serious overclocker.

You are likely to find much cheaper boards from the likes of Asrock and Biostar that will get you higher overclocks. In fact the $130 Biostar TA990FX board overclocked Bulldozer better than the Sabretooth in Anandtech's roundup.

My point is really to do your research, read reviews, and base your purchases on other people's overclocking experience. It doesn't need to be an expensive board, it just needs to be a proven overclocker. Before I owned the board in my sig, I had a series of $50-70 boards that were tremendous overclockers. For example the $70 Biostar TF550+ allowed me to hit 340MhzHTT and 3.2Ghz with an X2 3600+ (1.9Ghz Brisbane).

The Sabretooth is a fine board, but it's not going to allow you to max out your Bulldozer chip. Also don't judge a board by its price, there are plenty of deals to be had.

for a dollar wise get in board the sabertooth is great. i have not tried one but the asrock fatality looks like it might be better for the buck but, looking close i'm going to go with the chv for 50-75 bucks more.
I don't even know what socket pd will be. This time though I will wait a bit before i think about buying one. I just started this mess christmas and was not smart enough to know that the processor was 1 player in the band and bought a cheap supporting cast for it and have payed the price for it as we noobs always seem to do.

you know, if i had read all the sigs and used the info there i would have been far better off on my hardware spending.

@ funnyperson1, i don't see how coming from a lesser Motherboard to the Sabertooth is going to have any negative influence on ones overclock.

Its beginning to sound like the Sabertooth is the rotten apple in the basket, i just don't see how a Motherboard with some of the best VRM's, Mosfets and onboard chips cooling solutions in the business could be designed or intended for anything else.

Let me put it another way, i came from one of those cheaper boards, (as you suggest) and for love or any setting the most it could handle was 4Ghz full stop. Which was also on its heat limit.

Simply moving my CPU from there to the Sabertooth got me 4.2Ghz on my x6 straight away and with much less heat, granted i did upgrade my cooler from one £20 air cooler to a £30 412s... but despite this how many Phemon II x6 CPU's do you see running @ 4.2Ghz on a £30 air cooler? no mater what Motherboard :)

Moving from my old (7 months old) Motherboard to my Sabertooth was like night and day in terms of overclocking and keeping things nice and cool, which in my experience this thing does beautifully.

Last edited:
@ funnyperson1, i don't see how coming from a lesser Motherboard to the Sabertooth is going to have any negative influence on ones overclock.

Its beginning to sound like the Sabertooth is the rotten apple in the basket, i just don't see how a Motherboard with some of the best VRM's, Mosfets and onboard chips cooling solutions in the business could be designed or intended for anything else.

Let me put it another way, i came from one of those cheaper boards, (as you suggest) and for love or any setting the most it could handle was 4Ghz full stop. Which was also on its heat limit.

Simply moving my CPU from there to the Sabertooth got me 4.2Ghz on my x6 straight away and with much less heat, granted i did upgrade my cooler from one £20 air cooler to a £30 412s... but despite this how many Phemon II x6 CPU's do you see running @ 4.2Ghz on a £30 air cooler? no mater what Motherboard :)

Moving from my old (7 months old) Motherboard to my Sabertooth was like night and day in terms of overclocking and keeping things nice and cool, which in my experience this thing does beautifully.

I agree, but it depends on how you define a "lesser board". You cannot evaluate a board's potential based on price. For me the lesser board is the one that overclocks better, disregarding how fancy the heatsinks are and how many power phases there are.

This heat issue with the Sabretooth seems to be Bulldozer specific. The Anandtech review seems to corroborate both marjamars and your experience with this board. It was amongst the best for PHII overclocking and very bad for Bulldozer overclocking where their CPU hit 90C at 4.6Ghz.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5714/...cond-wind-for-asus-gigabyte-msi-and-biostar/6

I'm not saying the Sabretooth is a bad board, but it doesn't look like a great OC board for Bulldozer at the moment. I hope this can be fixed with a BIOS update, but I'm not sure.

I for one am going to keep a lookout for some of the cheaper boards to see how they react to Piledriver. I will most likely look at something like the ASRock Extreme4 boards (either 990FX or 970, not sure).

Ok ^^^^ :)

The board i came from was an Asus M5A97-Pro, which was a good board for its money, IMHO.

It looks like i will be getting a Piledriver FX-8 chip, if the early shown IPC improvements materialise.

I suppose you would be interested know how the Sabertooth does with it?

I will try to remember you for that.

as i have said before, there is nothing wrong with the sabertooth board, the only issues i have had with it have been with me.
it's a wonderful, easy to insall, easy to setup board. I just think that there are better boards out there for bd. I just ran a little test with an 1100 processor, poped it in with my bd setup and off it went, awesome board!!!

Hello there Mr. Frakk-man and Caddi Daddi. I think I would certainly go read the linked 990FX motherboard round-up that got 'funnyperson1' all wired to look at Sabertooth 990FX as heating up Bulldozer processors.

Go look at the inconsistency in the testing procedures of Ian Cutress who is shown as author of the 990FX Motherboard Roundup. A trained individual would put little faith in his testing.

1. He states that he tested the FX-8150 with 1.5 Vcore when using the Sabertooth 990FX motherboard.

2. He states he tested the FX-8150 on the Gigabyte UD5 990FX with 1.4 Vcore.

You think that would change temps? Humh? In my mind so much for getting on some sort of band-wagon stating Asus Sabertooth 990FX runs an FX-series processor hotter.

After seeing what Ian Cutress did for testing the first two mobos, the Sabertooth and the UD5, I did not waste my time reading any further. The pics were good but I did not need any further info from Ian.

Back