• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sabertooth 990FX Upgrade - Not so nice!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Rgone, my trusty brother, you are the info guy if i ever knew one.
I base my findings on what i have seen posted by other posters that post a screenshot of hardware monitor so i can compare, in the large, what my system requires as compared to what thay'ers requires.
i am not yet advanced enough to read a review and understand what i might be reading.

Hello there Mr. Frakk-man and Caddi Daddi. I think I would certainly go read the linked 990FX motherboard round-up that got 'funnyperson1' all wired to look at Sabertooth 990FX as heating up Bulldozer processors.

Go look at the inconsistency in the testing procedures of Ian Cutress who is shown as author of the 990FX Motherboard Roundup. A trained individual would put little faith in his testing.

1. He states that he tested the FX-8150 with 1.5 Vcore when using the Sabertooth 990FX motherboard.

2. He states he tested the FX-8150 on the Gigabyte UD5 990FX with 1.4 Vcore.

You think that would change temps? Humh? In my mind so much for getting on some sort of band-wagon stating Asus Sabertooth 990FX runs an FX-series processor hotter.

After seeing what Ian Cutress did for testing the first two mobos, the Sabertooth and the UD5, I did not waste my time reading any further. The pics were good but I did not need any further info from Ian.

Yeah, i just had a read through it, going in at higher volts than the GigaByte seemed a bit off. he was also messing on with the FSB far to much. and setting the VRM's to extreme is completely unnecessary, i would think. All of that... especially as he only ended up with a mild 4.1Ghz overclock with everything set to the extremes. is well. read Dolk's guide to....... before you do any more!!!!!!!!!! lol

Overclocking you don't need to touch the FSB unless your tweaking the memory and the NB is not behaving as you want. and you certainly don't go right in there with massive Vcore volts, he looked like an utter novice the way he handled it. i can see from the settings he used why it was boiling, as i'm sure you can.

Yeah, i just had a read through it, going in at higher volts than the GigaByte seemed a bit off. >> why it was boiling, as i'm sure you can.

Does that 'you can', mean I can or Caddi Daddi can or you do (already can/have) or most can?

I need to go to 'the can' now. TMI? Hehehe.

RGone...ster. :chair:

Hey guys,

For anyone interested in HEARING what 4.8GHz sounds like, take a look at this 4 min raw video I shot of the "Dream Machine" after going back to the CHIVE M/B. I was just testing the BIOS settings to make sure it's back to it's old self and thought it might be nice to shoot some video of it while I listened to the sweet music of 6,000 RPM scream 210 CFM out the back of the case. Look and you can see the door binds blowing in the breeze.

Anyways, having some fun, hope you all are as well

Take care.

-Rodger

LinK:

:shock: ....... :muahaha:

That is some fans you ahve there. I can live with a lower oc and less whine from my fans ......:clap:

Hey guys,

For anyone interested in HEARING what 4.8GHz sounds like, take a look at this 4 min raw video I shot of the "Dream Machine" after going back to the CHIVE M/B. I was just testing the BIOS settings to make sure it's back to it's old self and thought it might be nice to shoot some video of it while I listened to the sweet music of 6,000 RPM scream 210 CFM out the back of the case. Look and you can see the door binds blowing in the breeze.

Anyways, having some fun, hope you all are as well

Take care.

-Rodger

LinK:

Watched a bit of it and the noise from that fan started driving me insane, how do you live with it?

PS: was that 69c readings on your cores?

Kinda Loud huh? The fan is a 120mm Delta Turbine. It will go just over 6000 RPM under full power. Yes, it screams when doing benching. Can't do it when the wife is home... She tends to scream then (if you know what I mean).

HWMonitor does say 67C current and 68C highest CPU temp. Using ROG Connect, the notebook running RC Tweaker tells me steady 64C. Guess you just have to choose which is more prone to be more accurate.

As to how I can stand it, I don't do much tuning without headphones on. During normal activities, even rendering, fan speeds are way lower. If I am just using the internet, watching a movie or things like that, it's about silent. Without this fan, I was at 74C and climbing during prime95 torture tests. So, it's necessary for benching.

-Rodger

Well its a pretty spectacular rig. despite what people say about the chip and its obvious drawbacks i did have a soft spot for it, and still do, more now perhaps the more the Faildozer crap has been beaten to death.... and it is pretty awesome at somethings.

Can't wait for Piledriver.

gawd, now I am pee, peed......... just look at his vcore. as I have been saying, sabertooth is a very good board but requires a higher vcore for the same clocks....

Yeah, Piledriver...:drool:

I just couldn't get temps low enough to mess around with any benchmarking to speak of in the Sabertooth. I suppose I could have kept messing with stuff, but since I was 4.8GHz all day long in the CHIVE, I just didn't have the heart to keep poking this Sabertooth, trying to convince it to work with me.

I'm thing of building an all new rig.

If I do, it will be all my own design, case, cooling, everything except the raw components. I've had this idea for a couple of years now, but been so busy with work, I just keep setting it (and about a 100 other things) aside, waiting for more time to show up.

-Rodger

Yeah, Piledriver...:drool:

I just couldn't get temps low enough to mess around with any benchmarking to speak of in the Sabertooth. I suppose I could have kept messing with stuff, but since I was 4.8GHz all day long in the CHIVE, I just didn't have the heart to keep poking this Sabertooth, trying to convince it to work with me.

I'm thing of building an all new rig.

If I do, it will be all my own design, case, cooling, everything except the raw components. I've had this idea for a couple of years now, but been so busy with work, I just keep setting it (and about a 100 other things) aside, waiting for more time to show up.

-Rodger

I can hear that for sure man. IF you do a new configuration...let us know how it does after the doing. It could and certainly should make good reading for those that have no real clues as to process and end result.

Thank you for sharing. RGone...ster. :chair:

Hey, Rodger, how's about putting your system info in a Sig?

What vcore are you running at 4.8 ghz. Pics were small and I couldn't read the values. Was that 1.51?

I read it as vcore 1.58v peak.
if so it's well below what my setup will do but, i picked up a crosshair v formula today to replace the sabertooth. and a 12x38x 3000 rpm ultra kaze to push a little more air through the h60 on my 955. i just could never live with the screaming 6000 rpm.
my wife would just kill me.........

I can hear that for sure man. IF you do a new configuration...let us know how it does after the doing. It could and certainly should make good reading for those that have no real clues as to process and end result.

Thank you for sharing. RGone...ster. :chair:

+1 :)

Thanks RGone, will do.

Trent, did a sig, hope it comes up.

Caddi Daddi, beat me to it, huh. Most likely, I'll be getting a CHV or maybe even a CHVI -- Time will tell.

My CPUv setting is 1.4875 in BIOS. With LLC to Full, it will top up to about 1.58v or so under full load.

-Rodger

I cannot see a CHVl any time soon as AMD being reported as not coming with a new non-Igpu chipset for PD until at least the last of Q1 2013 and maybe not then, likely depending on continued progress of AMD APUs.

Well certainly Asus could make some sort of changes and release a new 990FX chipset mobo and call it CHVl for sure.

a chiv????? wwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!
I pulled the trigger on this to soon.... wwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Well, there will be a CHVI, what it will be is unknown to most everyone. When it will be out, I'd expect it just a bit before Piledriver's advertised release date.

-Rodger

Back