• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The FAH team needs help. Lots of help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bobnova

It's time for the annual Chimp Challange over in FAHland, and our folding team is getting absolutely stomped right now, they need all the help they can get!

Setup for FAH SMP2 has gotten a lot simpler and any/all of them would be more then happy to help you get set up.

It's a short contest, it's over in another 8 days or so.

I've got all my active computers switched over already, it made a dent but I can't do it alone.

I/they need your help! OCF Unite!

The thread: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674871

The really quick and easy setup instructions:

1) Get a good solid stable (yeah, I said it. Running FAH unstable puts a major dent in everything and hurts the FAH team directly, We're talking lots of IBT here, FAH is far nastier then any of our benches) OC, even just 4ghz of 2600k goes a long way though.

2) Download this. Stuff it in a folder.

3) Create a shortcut to that file, edit the command line to have "-configonly" at the end. No quotes.

4) Run it. For a username put in "T32monkeys". No quotes. Capitalization is crucial!

5) Team number 32.

6) Passkey: 63db8ce5557ac843556921df5f3a5f95

7) Default everything else, though I like to set "time between saves" to 5 minutes.

8) When it asks about whether to set advanced options, select YES.

9) Default for everything up to "additional command line perameters", type "-smp" (again, no quotes).

10) Default everything else.

11) The terminal window will close when you finish, now edit your shortcut again to remove the "-configonly", and run the program.

12) It should start download a "core", if it is fahcore_a3.exe you're golden and all set. If it isn't something is screwed up and you need to ask the FAH OCF people for help.

13) Shortly your CPU usage will peg itself at 100% and hold itself there.

14) There is a major bonus in points based on time from downloading a given WU to uploading a given WU. If you need/want to bench something or somesuch the ideal method is to create another shortcut with "-oneunit" at the end of the command line. Close the normal window, run the -oneunit one, you'll lose up to whatever your "time between saves" is, but when the work unit is done being calculated FAH will close itself and you won't be loosing any bonus during benching and such. That said, the FAH team needs every little bit they can get, bonus or otherwise. So if you can help and don't feel like going through the trouble of the oneunit stuff and waiting for the WU to finish that's fine.

Lets help OCF Team32 stomp some monkeys!

Setup my Sandy in the sig for some love, I started one with the -oneunit command.

Ill probably leave the system alone till tommrow night anyway. Give it a small break from the benching all evening.
All my other systems are single core AMDs lol...not much help there. (traded, gave away my quad and dual cores)

If I shouldnt have started with the -oneunit command, PM and Ill fix it.

Laterz.

Setup my Sandy in the sig for some love, I started one with the -oneunit command.

Ill probably leave the system alone till tommrow night anyway. Give it a small break from the benching all evening.
All my other systems are single core AMDs lol...not much help there. (traded, gave away my quad and dual cores)

If I shouldnt have started with the -oneunit command, PM and Ill fix it.

Laterz.

The -oneunit flag stops the client after it has finished processing the current WU. If you get that flag out of there, it will download a new unit when the current one is complete, so that it can keep folding along.

Also, thank you, Bob for bringing this to light for the Benching team. There are also some members of the Folding team that have been known to return the favor to the teams that have pulled away from their regular DC projects to help us out with the CC.:thup:

I think it'll be worthwhile to ask the FaH team members to try to contribute a few boints (however few) to the Benching Team.

(Myself included, how many boints could I get for a Phenom X4 9650 that wont OC, with a GTX260?)

Looks like I completed 1 WU lastnight, and started another thats already at 70%....

Max load temps so far were, 66C on core #2. SWEET!

The 2600k folks and those with 8800 cards (and especially those with both!) could definitely throw some boints down. An overclocked 8800 series card driven by a 2600k at 4.5ish is worth some point even without a lot of tweaking and such.

EDIT:
A 580 uses a different client, I haven't used the GPU client lately, you'll need to ask the FAH folks on that one.
I think there's probably a guide in the FAH section though.

I think it'll be worthwhile to ask the FaH team members to try to contribute a few boints (however few) to the Benching Team.

(Myself included, how many boints could I get for a Phenom X4 9650 that wont OC, with a GTX260?)

hehe I could probobly get us a couple boints.

I think I got it. :D so add a gtx 580 to the team :attn:

EDIT: here is what it looks like.

FAH.JPG

looks like i will be doing a WU every 2 hours. hopefully that helps.

Shoot, wish this was posted last week. Putting up over 20k now. I'll see if I get can a networked os on a benching rig.

@bmwbaxter: If there is a non gui version (cli) that will increase your output. Watch your temps. Folding will really make your gear run at 100%.

@bmwbaxter: If there is a non gui version (cli) that will increase your output. Watch your temps. Folding will really make your gear run at 100%.

i couldn't find the non GUI one. don't have time to search for it now. going to out for the day. I figured this would be better than nothing.
as for the usage msi afterburner says 98% and temps are 52C fans at 80%

how can I tell how many PPD I am contributing? or am I not able to tell since I am under the T32monkeys? still folding steady at a 2hr/unit.

I am an on and off folder, but I made a new cfg file for the chimps and my cpu will put out roughly 85-87k every 28 hours :cool:

^^

Only if you are unfamiliar with your system. Dont run it at the bleeding edge of stability, but dont be afraid to get your clock on. It is a bit tough on your system, so make sure all of your voltages are in check :)

Also check out HFM.net for monitoring, harlam357 made it, and thousands of people use it :)

Edit:

Heres a shot of what it looks like.. yes my time kinda sux but when i leave for work the pc will run uninterupted :)

Last edited:
^^

Only if you are unfamiliar with your system. Dont run it at the bleeding edge of stability, but dont be afraid to get your clock on. It is a bit tough on your system, so make sure all of your voltages are in check :)

Also check out HFM.net for monitoring, harlam357 made it, and thousands of people use it :)

Edit:

Heres a shot of what it looks like.. yes my time kinda sux but when i leave for work the pc will run uninterupted :)

i am only running at stock clocks on the gpu and only running the gpu. so no worry about edge of stability.

EDIT: hmmm this must be a glitch or something. i just looked again and it is showing over 1 million ppd.

Attachments

• FAH ppd.JPG
    FAH ppd.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Back