• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The HD 3870/50 Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
cooler master supplys are not very good it will probly work for a while thou. look into a new supply thou. lots of us love the corsair hx line i think they are the best supplys out there for the value

Hey..thnx for the info guys....ok now i have another question..my Motherboard as u might have seen in my PC Specs is a P5KC....now that has 2 PCI-E Slots...but although one is at x16 the other is at x4.....wont that effect CF performance.....dont i require a board that has both at x16.....?

Thnx galador...there isnt really much of a difference...
Appreciate the Info....

quick question on a gecube 3870 oc that i "had".
i think its dead. i'm trying to reflash the bios if possible.
i have a pci vc that i can use.
when i run the flash tool, it does not list the bad vc, is this right?
should i still force the flash to where i think it should be or should it at least be listed.
and if its not listed, does that mean the vc is completely down?
i have a x1950pro that i'm using as a temp as well.

Hey guyz..how do you up the Voltage on the Graphic card...???

2 ways that are known to me is to do a pencil mod (look up in google for your perspective card) and flashing the VGA bios.
Take care, both ways can damage your card if done improperly.

I am having a probem with my 3870 OC'ing....my current clocks are 860/1251 and temps at idle are ~ 38 C ......whenever i am playing a game after a while i will get that VPU recover error thing....I have chked my Load temps...and they hardly go above 70C .....any idea whats going wrong? I dunt feel its a Voltage issue!!?

Also i asked this earlier if the Accelero S1 is a good cooler.....will it make a reasonable difference compared to the stock cooler?

I am having a probem with my 3870 OC'ing....my current clocks are 860/1251 and temps at idle are ~ 38 C ......whenever i am playing a game after a while i will get that VPU recover error thing....I have chked my Load temps...and they hardly go above 70C .....any idea whats going wrong? I dunt feel its a Voltage issue!!?

Also i asked this earlier if the Accelero S1 is a good cooler.....will it make a reasonable difference compared to the stock cooler?

Results can be had if you do a simple search. With that said, here are my results using the S1: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=543964

Thanks Suprchargd....There is a hell of a difference in Temps....i am ordering mine now...=D

how the heck do i over clock an hd 3850 i have the omega drivers and when i try to over clock with the atitray tools. It just shows the clocks for the gpu and ram are at 0.00 which makes no sence to me.

how the heck do i over clock an hd 3850 i have the omega drivers and when i try to over clock with the atitray tools. It just shows the clocks for the gpu and ram are at 0.00 which makes no sence to me.

i dunt know if Atitray tools supports the 3850 or not....better get Rivatuner

www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/

It is much better and u can control your fan speed and monitor your temps etc with it as well....
Hope this helps

Safe OC'ing

there was a limit on the 3870 as well..but its taken care of once u flash the BIOs of the card....go to the first page of this thread and go through the first few posts....that shud help u out like it helped me...=]

Hey guys...i have a problem with overclocking the 3870 after updating the BIOS......i took the core clock to 860 and memory to 1220 and just after a few minutes in the game, CCC gives me the VPU recover Error.....I am getting the feeling that maybe the BIos i updated it to is not that good for ocing......can you set me right? Are there any particular bios i shud update it to?

Hey..can the VGA heatsinks rust!!! =} ....because mine apparently has...its running idle at 100% fan speed and the temps are 41 degrees.... :'( .... I think i shud get a 3rd party cooler... =\

I am getting my second 3870 soon....its gonna be AWESOME...this cards soooo powerfull...and now its gonna be twice as much...although i dunt expect the performance to double....will it?

Edit: Going for a 4870 instead...even more POWER!!! Muawahahahahah :santa:

Last edited:
Back