• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The HD 4870/50 Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've got a Powercolor 4850 which has an improved silent cooling. (Looks like an orb.)

I read through the whole thread but how do I know which settings are proven for 24/7 usage ?

It runs stable @ 720/1100 which pretty much I guess.
But how do I know this will break my card ? No Voltage inrease required btw...

Anyone actually running a 4850 @ such high settings for weeks now ?

Temps are fine: 61°C load

I'm getting more and more "Display driver has stopped responding and has.." these days. They still popped up before I did a bios flash but not very frequently. It happens with fullscreen video or games (just not steam games). I know that what happens is the gpu doesn't respond fast enough and windows resets it after two seconds and that you can edit the registry to up the 'wait time', but this doesn't seem right. Official word from ATi is that its not driver related its hardware. Maybe I'll try going back to the stock bios.
Also I have a second card installed, a 3870 running an additional two monitors, so my situation may be different. :shrug:

Last edited:
I'm getting more and more "Display driver has stopped responding and has.." these days. They still popped up before I did a bios flash but not very frequently. It happens with fullscreen video or games (just not steam games). I know that what happens is the gpu doesn't respond fast enough and windows resets it after two seconds and that you can edit the registry to up the 'wait time', but this doesn't seem right. Official word from ATi is that its not driver related its hardware. Maybe I'll try going back to the stock bios.
Also I have a second card installed, a 3870 running an additional two monitors, so my situation may be different. :shrug:

My card clocks very poorly, and does the same thing at 725, I think it's just how well the card clocks to be stable. I don't get any artifacts, just driver resets.

If i ever get any play time off work, I'm going to try for 21k in 06 again.

I was just thinking, anyone else that has gone from a 3870 to a 4850 (CF or not), have you noticed textures loading slower? mainly crysis... which crysis is a buggy game anyway.

With the 8.10s I haven't gotten any "Display driver has..." errors, so thats a plus.

Last edited:
Hi guys, kinda new to overclocking, I have a 4850, brilliant card from what I can decern, I've done this so far:

4850.jpg

Any room for improvement, that you can think?

Cheers lads :)

Tim

Hi all!

I just pulled the trigger on the ASUS Top 4850 for $130 shipped (with rebate and promo code) from NE:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121272

I currently have a 8800GT volt modded, but I figured for $130 how could I go wrong (this is my first ATI card since my old 9800Pro!)

I've been reading through and I'm seeing some amazing clocks from people doing the volt mods:
sno.lcn
HousERaT
satansangel114
(my apologies to anyone I missed!)

I see various mods out there (BIOS, pencil, etc)...
1) Did you guys flash any BIOS other than stock, and if so which and where?
2) Which vMods did you guys do?
3) Can you link to the specific guides you used (or to one which specifies the one you did)?
4) What do you think the max safe volt/temp is for this card for 24/7 use (i know it wont be stressed 24/7, but I'm trying to differentiate between gaming and benching).
5) Finally, what is the the max final volt, temp and clocks you guys got to?

My card arrives on Monday, so I'm earger to start pushign this thing to the max! Thanks all!!!

Last edited:
I see various mods out there (BIOS, pencil, etc)...
1) Did you guys flash any BIOS otehr than stick, and if so which and where?
2) Which vMods did you guys do?
3) Can you link to the specific guides you used (or to one which specifies the one you did)?
4) What do you think the max safe volt/temp is for this card for 24/7 use (i know it wont be stressed 24/7, but I'm trying to differentiate between gaming and benching).
5) Finally, what is the the max final volt, temp and clocks you guys got to?

To ansure some of your questions-

1) no I did dot flash my bios(many of the others did) I used Ati tray tools and made a 2d and 3d profile, then set them in the auto overclock allot like you would in an edited bios. link http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4569.html

2)I used the hard mod on the gpu onily, a pencil mod works but its not very acurate.

3)http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=568166

4) wouldnt recomend more than 1,4V for 24/7 and try to keep your temps as low as possible. and clock wise is more based on how your card will do with the volts you give it. I used 800/1100 for game 850/1100 for bench.

5) I did not have the bawlz to push much past [email protected] didnt want to make a paper weight of it.

but that card is now dead:( (hs on ram fell off landed on the card)
but now I gots 2 more to mod now!:attn:

hope this is of some help and good luck.

Last edited:
Finally got my max stable OC (pre-volt mod):

GPU: 760
RAM: 1175

Stock volts, accelero S1 w/ Yate Loon SL 120mm

Theres some weird stuff going on with my RAM reading @ 98C and my shaders at 78C in GPU-Z at load, but I think its a misread rather than actual component temps (RAM sinks are warm but not hot to touch).
Once I figure that out, I'll start puttin' the spurs to her and see how far I can go with more volts.

maxvidocuj7.jpg

So you haven't done VM yet? The reason I'm asking is I have ASUS 4850/HTDI/512M/A which seems to be similar to your card by cooler and board design. Is there a VM for it? Was it hard to change cooler? I have S1, too, and I've installed it only on my previous reference 4850 card.
Thanks.

Wall of Fame has been updated. :)

Think I'm gonna do some benching this weekend.

Just bit the bullet on a 1GB 4870. Was going to go with a 4850 but this one was mis-marked at the TD store so ended up getting it for much cheaper than I expected.
It's amazingly fast compared to my 3870 at any rate.

I won't be able to get around to overclocking this till tomorrow (have to pick up a new hdd for a budget box I'm building for a friend), but once I finish that I'll update this post with the results.

For now, this is at stock clocks (~16K in 3DMark06) :

Edit:

Hit a snag in overclocking last weekend after replacing the stock cooler with my HR-03GT as I needed to mod up a heatsink set for the VRM chips and the Vitec/Pulse chips. Additionally I strapped an 80mm fan onto the side of the card blowing over the VRM area. The VRM heatsinks aren't pretty at this point but they're working OK. Going to buy a Thermalright HR09 next week for the VRM's along with a TX850 (as I'm hitting the limits of this Silverstone with the card and quad overclocked).

Anyways I got it up to 858/940 stable at 1.263V:

Forgot to include a CPUZ shot but I ran FUR directly before running the ATT scan so the CPU speed is listed. It was showing in the above screenshot though and no bios settings have been changed since then.

Memory won't go much higher than 940 as it's the 1GB model with the Hynix chips.

Last edited:
Running 800/1150 at 1.39V vGPU (DMM). I believe I have more headroom but sadly I have no idea how to hack the HD4850 bios to go above 800 MHz in CCC. It is possible, I have seen screenshots, but nobody cares to share their bios. :(

Furmark running with renamed.exe.

Will get a 3D Mark 06 shot up in a min.

Last edited:
Back