• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The HD 4870/50 Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This is what I've got going for now. This is the first OC I tried right off the bat. This is NOT a submission for the wall of fame. That will come later when I receive my XSPC Razer full cover block and I start messing with the bios. ;)

For know I'm cooling my card with the MCW60 and the stock heatsink's metal back plate for memory and VRMs (not using stock fan, though). OCed with AMD GPU Clock Tool, all stock voltages.

Furmark + ATI Tools to check stability. :D

bf4e28d2.jpg

I flashed my VTek 4870 to the ASUS TOP bios, which was nice bump, stable with only 40% fan. If I wanted to flash to the Diamond XOC BE BIOS 990/1200 BIOS.. is that going to require full fan for stability?

Question for those of you who have (had?) both 4850 and 4870 cards. How much hotter does the 4870 run than the 4850 (if at all)? Does it have to run the fan louder to keep it cool, or does the dual slot design allow it to cool better, thus allowing lower fan speeds?

Question for those of you who have (had?) both 4850 and 4870 cards. How much hotter does the 4870 run than the 4850 (if at all)? Does it have to run the fan louder to keep it cool, or does the dual slot design allow it to cool better, thus allowing lower fan speeds?
The 4870 stock cooler is much better than on the 4850. You can run it much quieter and still achieve nice clocks. I don't really think you need to overclock it much unless your benching or something. If you were running a stock 4870 card with stock bios, you could probably run the card at max core clock (790Mhz) with fan still at a quiet speed (40% or less).

Here's the thing though.......

4850 pencil mod = yes

4870 pencil mod = no :-/

The 4870 is the better card but the 4850 is the better value, especially if you use better than stock (reference) cooling. ;)

The RaT

I flashed my VTek 4870 to the ASUS TOP bios, which was nice bump, stable with only 40% fan. If I wanted to flash to the Diamond XOC BE BIOS 990/1200 BIOS.. is that going to require full fan for stability?
I'm using the Diamond bios on both my cards. Although the stock clocks are 800/1100, you can always turn them down. My cards will run 850/1100 with the fan at 50% pretty easy so I don't know why you couldn't run stock clocks with only 40% fan. Unless of course your case is really hot or you live in a hot climate.

This is what I've got going for now. This is the first OC I tried right off the bat. This is NOT a submission for the wall of fame. That will come later when I receive my XSPC Razer full cover block and I start messing with the bios. ;)

For know I'm cooling my card with the MCW60 and the stock heatsink's metal back plate for memory and VRMs (not using stock fan, though). OCed with AMD GPU Clock Tool, all stock voltages.

Furmark + ATI Tools to check stability. :D
Keep cranking it up. I look forward to your submission. Also what brand is the card?

Is there a "top" BIOS to flash a HD4850 to? I see everyone is flashing their HD4870 to the "ASUS TOP bios" but I was wondering if there was a sweet BIOS for the HD4850?

Is there a "top" BIOS to flash a HD4850 to? I see everyone is flashing their HD4870 to the "ASUS TOP bios" but I was wondering if there was a sweet BIOS for the HD4850?
No. All the different bios are for non-reference cards. You can mod your own though with RBE1.15.

Keep cranking it up. I look forward to your submission. Also what brand is the card?

It's a Visiontek. Sorry but the card went bad, when I turned on my PC the screen stayed black, no signal to monitor at all. So I returned it to where I bought it from and they sent me a new one, should arrive this week (tomorrow or Thursday). However, I will be selling it since I bought a Sapphire 4870 1GB which arrives on Thursday. Also bought a Full Cover waterblock for it. :D

I'll be posting results for the 1GB 4870. I want to sell the 4870 512MB as new, so I won't be using it. Can't sell it here yet, though. :shrug:

I'm using the Diamond bios on both my cards. Although the stock clocks are 800/1100, you can always turn them down. My cards will run 850/1100 with the fan at 50% pretty easy so I don't know why you couldn't run stock clocks with only 40% fan. Unless of course your case is really hot or you live in a hot climate.

Ah so the 'new stock' is the same 800/1100 as the ASUS TOP bios. Does the diamond bios bump the voltage a bit further?

Ah so the 'new stock' is the same 800/1100 as the ASUS TOP bios. Does the diamond bios bump the voltage a bit further?
Stock clocks for the TOP & Diamond bios are not the same.

No, the voltage is the same. I think there is only one small step allowable in the 4870 bios...... goes from 1.26 to 1.27. I haven't messed with it in any way.

Stock clocks for the TOP & Diamond bios are not the same.

Your new stock clocks for the diamond bios are 800/1100. My new stock clocks with the asus bios are 795/1100. What am I not getting here?

So it looks like a hard mod is the next step to get some more voltage.

Is my score normal for my clocks?

I'm thinking about getting a couple new coolers.. and even possibly doing a hard mod on both of them. I'd like to add them to my loop with another radiator, but I'm not sure if the water flow would be good with all of it in a single loop.. :confused:

Which bios should be used for higher clock max and/or more voltage on a sapphire 4870 1GB model?

Which bios should be used for higher clock max and/or more voltage on a sapphire 4870 1GB model?

I been looking for this also. I can't seem to find any of the 512mb flavor cards as 1gb models like the Diamond 512mb Black Edition, no 1gb models anywhere. And no Asustop's either. The only card that seems to have maybe a workable setup is the 1gb Palit and that does look nice because it comes with a HDMI out.

I'd like to pick up a 1gb card but if there isn't any good OC'ing bios for it I will probably pass.

I have a Powercolor 4870 1gb PCS+ on order. How does the Powercolor bios rate since it is already a non-reference card and has the 4 phase power change? What is the current consensous on the card and what mods/bios upgrades are warranted/reccommended with it?

I have a 1GB card right now and I'm wondering if the BIOS editor is going to work for me since I've only seen reports of people editing 512MB bioses.

I want some more voltage, and my memory max OC sucks *** atm (975)

Last edited:
Alright, this thread isn't as active as the 3xxx thread :temper:

I'm thinking about watercooling my cards, and then volt modding both. Maybe doing the hard mod :beer:

@satansangel114, nice clocks!, pencil?

Back