• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The HD 3870/50 Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ok i got 2 questions ....firstly i have a 3870 and it says on CCC that my stock memory clock is 1126 however on many places i have read that the memory clock for it is 2252....thats double the amount...whats the catch?

also on ocing....how do i modify the Bios and voltages.....i have a HIS 3870....and how shud i proceed with ocing the voltages and the bios?

I hope its not too much :p

Neji415: DDR. And if you're new to OC'ing, starting with small steps on your motherboard FSB is probably better than diving in to modding the BIOS on your video card :)

er....:$ hehe....i have a stupid intel mobo....intels dont oc.......:p so ur saying dunt oc anything if the motherboard doesnt support ocing

I'm saying you don't sound like you've OC'd anything before, and modding a BIOS isn't necessarily the best place to start. You can OC the video card from CCC...

ok...thnx.....anyway i intend to get the rampage Formula soon.......:D.....btw...what is the max temps the GPU shud go upto.....

ok...thnx.....anyway i intend to get the rampage Formula soon.......:D.....btw...what is the max temps the GPU shud go upto.....

So your memory is fine, it is doubled from what it says in CCC. These cards can run pretty hott, my 3850 use to get up to 90c and be fine but now i have the AC S1 and it doesnt go over 50c, lol. I wouldnt recommend you go that high but they can take a beating.

is the S1 efficient......i mean if i get it for my card will it be worth it.....:?

ok so besides the S1 are there any other good options for the 3870.......something in the range of $35....give or take $5........

I dont really think you need an S1. The stock cooler on the 3870s work very well, and from what I have seen around here, having the S1 doesnt give THAT much of a cooling difference to warrent the money spent.

Like others have said, these things can run hot. My suggestion is to get RivaTuner and just adjust the fan to whatever speed keeps it lower. I just have hot-keys set for when I play a game to adjust it. Granted it wont be as low as with an S1 on, but it still runs perfectly fine. I dont think mine goes over 70C and the temp in my room is usually 82F or higher. And I live in Arizona, so I should have the worst heat around.

thanks for the advice man really appreciate it but the thing is the temps over here go up to 100F and thats right now...in June July they will go up to 110F.....currently my cards temps goes up to 80oC on load.....and i dunt like to have the fan at 100 percent speed because it gets hell loud....although i know the cards can take a lot of beating but why risk it ..right?

btw...have any of u had problems going above 850 core clock......because my card runs fine on 850 but as soon as i take it one step ahead the screen goes black? Do u think it could be due to the mobo?

btw...have any of u had problems going above 850 core clock......because my card runs fine on 850 but as soon as i take it one step ahead the screen goes black? Do u think it could be due to the mobo?

Well as far as the 850 core goes, ya it seems to run fine, but most BIOSs on the cards dont go above 860 or some where close to that. Its something in the BIOS that doesnt work right, but I hear if you flash it you can get past that point. I havent flashed mine yet but I dont think I am since I dont play games with it OC'ed.

ok so first of all what the hell is "flashing"...is it something to do with a camera :p ...... also i have been reading at so many places that the stock clock of Memory of the 3870 is 2250.....while mine at stock is half that.....What is all that about....

ok so first of all what the hell is "flashing"...is it something to do with a camera :p ...... also i have been reading at so many places that the stock clock of Memory of the 3870 is 2250.....while mine at stock is half that.....What is all that about....

Flashing is where you re write the cards "genes", or how it operates. There is a cap for the core which some the these cards have and to go past it you need a different set of genes. Your memory should be showing up as 1125 and since its ddr, double data rate it is then doubled. So your all good.

help

on the bios OC limit. you have to flash the bios. Now from the link you have provided the guy says it only works with the 3870, but what I just found out is the card I have the Gigabyte hd3870, from what i have read is my card uses the 3850 PCB and the 3870 GPU so will this bios update work for my card or what????:confused::confused::confused:

Back