• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The HD 4870/50 Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
it's a sapphire hd4870 512mb reference PCB card... yes I did everything you said above, but have not tried ati tray tools, or flashing the bios on the cards

zyklonb 003.JPG

ohh yeah those are reference cards , should be easy as pie :D. Also check out RBE ( radeon bios editor) nifty tool , basically allows you to edit bios for permanent overclocks , voltages.

Go to installed directory of MSI Afterburner, default: C:\Program file\MSI Afterburner
Use notepad to edit “MSIAfterburner.cfg”
Change the parameter of “EnableUnofficialOverclocking” from “0” to “1”

will lift the clock limit on MSi afterburner.

even after all that, I can overclock both cards, but no matter how much I overclock them, the 3dmark scores are coming out to 16xxx in 06.... and I was gettin g 18xxx scores at 790/1100 in catalyst

explanations?

I'm trying to overclock my Asus HD4870 1GB. I'm not sure if the sensors are bugged or what but my memory (memio) is 60C idle and 80-83C load. GPU is 50C idle and about 70C load. I basically can't overclock the memory but is there a point to overclock my gpu only?
I tried 800/900 and Vantage score improved over 200 points. If the gpu temp is going to stay stable even with 850/900 then is it ok to keep it that way or it's not good if the memory clock is too low?
As it seems there're no heatsinks on the memory chips near the gpu and I don't want to get a new cooler for it yet.
ASUS HD4870

EDIT: Vantage test crashed with 850/900 and 825/900. Got it running stable with 815/900. Improvement from stock 750/900 in performance mode is about 630 points total and about 670 points for gpu.

EDIT2: Replaced thermal paste and got it running stable with 815/1050. Posting scores soon.

cpuzj.png
gpuzl.png
3dmark06.png
3dmarkvant.png

Last edited:
Old thread I know but I just found it...

HIS HD 4850 (fan edition): 760/1100 @ 1.2v+
Palit HD 4870 (sonic dual edition): 800/1050 @ stock v

Crossfired GPU score in 3dmark vantage: 13547

lol necroing it up, i remember my dual his 4870's on my 15 750 rig :D i just maxxed in CCC and ran with it

Looks like a decent overclock on that cpu. :thup:
I just saw your submissions at hwbot. Welcome to the world of benchmarking!

wow :cool: not bad at all. I guess it's just my CPU that needs upgradin' then ;)

It is definitely your cpu holding you back on any 3d benches. You could run all of the cpu benches and get a few good points, since no one on our team has run that cpu. Also, You could check out the benchmarking area for any tips on any of the benchmark tests.

Back