• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The HD 3870/50 Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
on the bios OC limit. you have to flash the bios. Now from the link you have provided the guy says it only works with the 3870, but what I just found out is the card I have the Gigabyte hd3870, from what i have read is my card uses the 3850 PCB and the 3870 GPU so will this bios update work for my card or what????:confused::confused::confused:

The 3850's and 70's both use the same core but there mem is different. Youll have to dig up on the internet for the right bios for your card.

Well after much looking, i am still stuck. I dont know if the 3870 bias fix will work with my gigabyte 3870, due to the fact my card has ddr3 not ddr4 memory!

any help please

Thanks, 3.0Ghz, you mean 4.0Ghz?

I see alot of Q6600/CF setups having a hard time hitting 20k at 3.8-4.0Ghz. I guess its because the E8400's get alot more FPS, which give higher SM scores. Quads make it up in the CPU score.. :shrug:

I have an HIS 3850 512 (OE single heatpipe dual slot cooler) that will OC to 785 from the stock 735 core speed. Temps are around 71C at load OCed.

Any wild guesses as to how much my core OC will improve upgrading to an Accelero S1 (without voltmodding)?

I have an HIS 3850 512 (OE single heatpipe dual slot cooler) that will OC to 785 from the stock 735 core speed. Temps are around 71C at load OCed.

Any wild guesses as to how much my core OC will improve upgrading to an Accelero S1 (without voltmodding)?

I would say you should be able to go further as a 71c load is high. My s1 keeps my 8800gt under 50c load. Not sure it will come with regulator HS's so you may want to invest in some.

I would say you should be able to go further as a 71c load is high. My s1 keeps my 8800gt under 50c load. Not sure it will come with regulator HS's so you may want to invest in some.

There are OE sinks on the regulators and ram, but I don't know if the S1 will clear them.

Hiya's nice info here.Browsing the thread I notice that in the GPU-Z pics the bottom line says either crossfire enabled or crossfire disabled.

Mine says unsure in vista/64.

Asus radeon 3870x2
Asus P5K-E motherboard

This has always puzzled me as it makes me wonder if it is xfire enabled.

3d score around 14000.

Pretty new to this so unsure if pic will show up on posting.

Attachments

• 3870.jpg
    3870.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 571
I got my ASUS 3870x2 (4 dvi outs) in the mail yesterday, plugged it in (PSU doesn't have a 6+2 jack so it's not fully powered....) and scored a 16089 on 3Dmark06. This card takes a 6 jack and 6+2 jack from the PSU as it's a dual GPU and so I know it has more to give. I'll be actually using it in a new maching I'm building just for WarHammer Online (September 18th woot!!) and getting a corsair psu that supports 2 of these cards.

This is the heaviest, longest, thickest videocard I have ever had, and man these 2 fans are quiet on it.

I got a 2nd 3870x2 and now have the corsair 750TX PSU so I have both of my 3870x2's in crossfireX now. While idle I use 425watts per my UPS and I'm gotten up to 650watts while benching. (I do have 2 LCD's and my FiberOptic Fios Modem plugged into it as well)

While running 3DMark06, during the flying ship scene as the dragon is jumping over the ship, the computer hangs and I have to reboot. Also the FPS don't seem any higher as compared to just having 1 3870x2... I read somewhere that 3DMark03 would show a big performance gain having 4GPU's rather than 3Dmark06, is this correct? Any thoughts on my system hanging at that same point in the benchmark?

Thanks in advance

I guess my problem is that I'm running 4 GPU's on winXP64 when that is only supported on Vista...

Hey all...I noticed that you dunt really get much of a difference by OC'ing the graphic card..... The proc and ram really make the difference..... isnt that so?!?!

No...not exactly. If the benchmark/game you're running isn't GPU limited (3dmark01, 03, 05 at most resolutions) then overclocking the GPU will generally make less of a difference then overclocking the cpu &/or ram. Overclocking the GPU can make a large difference in games & resolutions that are being limited by the GPU like vantage, crysis, etc....

From the overclocking reviews I've read, OCing a 3850 will yield roughly 3870 performance, assuming both have 512MB of vram.

Thanks, 3.0Ghz, you mean 4.0Ghz?

I see alot of Q6600/CF setups having a hard time hitting 20k at 3.8-4.0Ghz. I guess its because the E8400's get alot more FPS, which give higher SM scores. Quads make it up in the CPU score.. :shrug:

My bad, I mistakenly looked at 05 results instead of 06 results :rolleyes:
Just wanted that to be corrected.
17632 is the correct 06 result.

Attachments

• Galador5.JPG
    Galador5.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 184
  • Galador2.JPG
    Galador2.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 180
Hi guys....I was thinking of going for CF.....I currently have a HIS 3870...now is it neccesary for me to get another 3870 from HIS or can i go for any other brand...*probably a lame question but hell i am new to this stuff*

Also what things would i require for CF except for 2 Cf bridges and a good PSU...I have a 600W CoolerMaster PSU...that shud do it right? but i must need a cable for connecting both cards together on the outside which in return connects the monitor..right...?

The bridges ribbons are on the inside of the case now on those GPU's. Not sure how that will affect you.
My 620W PSU handles it fine but I am not familiar with cooler master.
Also, it does not have to be a HIS. From what I understand as long as it is a match (3870 or 3870X2) it will work.

Back