• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The HD 3870/50 Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Adequate cooling? I think so :D

I believe my card has the same layout as yours but i have 512megs of ram, can this be so? So the back 3 nub things from the 6pin connector are all grounds right? Also i just sodder the wire to the pot ends and then to the points on the card and can any wire work?

213832.jpg

213833.jpg

Last edited:
Correct,the 3 black wires on the pci-e power connector are ground,yes.I used wire from an old ide cable for mine,it is very thin so it makes connecting to the tiny point on the card easier.You can of course use any wire.

Before you turn your pc on with it connected,please make you test with your dmm that the pot is on full 100k resistance,if not you will fry your card when it boots.

There are 512mb 3850 around,so it could be the same layout with 512mb instead of my 256mb.My card is a referance design.

Alright mod successfully completed, without touching the pot my voltage came out as 1.33 and im benching 3dmark06 at 810/999. The mod was messy but it came out alright, will take pics later.

Got some pics for ya, im now at 1.4v 850/999 and have ran 3dmark06 a few times so its pretty stable there, now to test for gaming. Wont be able to play around anymore tonight cause ive got work in the morning, but tomorrow night im gonna shoot for at least 900core.

230270.jpg

230269.jpg

230268.jpg

Nice work Jacobman!

Man I wish I didn't suck the ballz at soldering :*(

JM

Thanks, this is the first time ive ever soldered anything before and believe me i was sweating bullets doing this, lol.

*EDIT* Also can anything work to secure the pot onto the card, like some double sided sticky tape or something?

Last edited:
Thanks, this is the first time ive ever soldered anything before and believe me i was sweating bullets doing this, lol.

*EDIT* Also can anything work to secure the pot onto the card, like some double sided sticky tape or something?

how permanent do you want the thing to be? epoxy resin would be a good choice if you want permanence and strength of joint.

superglue would provide a strong joint which would be breakable at a later date..... or you could use most non-conducting tape

edit: I've got the same heatsink with a 120mm Yate on it, what are temps like at 850+? if they're sub 60 celsius, I'm gonna volt mod mine ASAP!

how permanent do you want the thing to be? epoxy resin would be a good choice if you want permanence and strength of joint.

superglue would provide a strong joint which would be breakable at a later date..... or you could use most non-conducting tape

edit: I've got the same heatsink with a 120mm Yate on it, what are temps like at 850+? if they're sub 60 celsius, I'm gonna volt mod mine ASAP!

At 1.5v @ 904/999 its idling at 45c and ill test load here in a minute but i know for a fact it doesn't reach 60c.

How can I get higher than 877 core? I set the cores for both at 885 in ccc, and gpu-z shows 877. I've also tried Rivatuner and got the same results.
Would amdgpuclock do the trick? Or are these cards locked to a certain speed in the bio's?

How can I get higher than 877 core? I set the cores for both at 885 in ccc, and gpu-z shows 877. I've also tried Rivatuner and got the same results.
Would amdgpuclock do the trick? Or are these cards locked to a certain speed in the bio's?

From my understanding the cores go in increments of 13 or something so you have to set it a little higher and they will bump up to the next level. You may have to use a 3rd party overclocking utility to achieve it.

Ya, I've tried 885 with Rivatuner, ccc, and amdgpuclocktool. All reverted back to 877. I'll give the 890 a shot in Rivatuner and if I have to amdgputool.

I thought these bios' were locked to a certain mhz.. I found one that goes to 890 but it has a ".sp" extension on it and it wouldn't flash. I emailed the author and I am waiting for a reply.

Hi Guys,
Obviously im new, i don't really know anything about overclocking but I was just comparing my stats in GPU-Z with the users on this forum and i notice that there is quite a large discrepincy. Now i know m GPU is not overlocked but it just doesnt look right. Can anyone comment?

gpuyf7.jpg

AH your looking at the idle speed in GPU-Z. you need to run a 3D app to see the real speed in CPU-Z.
This is the power saving mode your in at the desktop. when your in 3-D the GPU(s) go full speed.

Still doesnt look right to me? Sorry for the noob questions. I'm just worried that the card is not performing properly.

Cheers

gpu2nu5.jpg

Back