• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The HD 4870/50 Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i read on techgage that a new revision of the 4000 series may be coming out soon . they will have a revision of the core, which will allow higher core clock. this may then allow the current core clock to run at lower temperatures.

http://techgage.com/article/asus_eah4850_512mb/12
it says this right above the picture of the Asus 4850 fan picture.

anyone heard anything of this kind?

PS: "rumour" it says.

i read on techgage that a new revision of the 4000 series may be coming out soon . they will have a revision of the core, which will allow higher core clock. this may then allow the current core clock to run at lower temperatures.

http://techgage.com/article/asus_eah4850_512mb/12
it says this right above the picture of the Asus 4850 fan picture.

anyone heard anything of this kind?

PS: "rumour" it says.
And this is when it would be nice to be able to use evga's stepup policy...

Visiontek HD4850 740/1100mhz 1.2v
740mhzhr3.jpg

Last edited:
Just got my Saphire HD4870 installed ran 3Dmark 790/950 on stock vid and stock cooling. Cant wait to get another one!! Do the fan fix as soon as you get it ,mine was idling as 70c down to 44c after with fan set at 45%

Attachments

• MGHD4870.jpg
    MGHD4870.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 6,008
Last edited:
Dude, sorry if I missed it, but can you please post in detail about the fan fix? I can add this to HouseRaT's sticky thread. :(

shamelesly stolen for another forum:)

if you make a profile in catalyst after turning on Overdrive( make sure clock and memory settings are correct). You can then go to the file "C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Bretware. XML. the xml file will have the same name as the catalyst profile you saved. right click and hit edit.

<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">
<Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Manual" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="0" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="65" />

Change the value to "manual" and Want value to "65"

Save the file then reload your profile in catalyst.

65% seemed perfect for me, 70% was loud but you may need it if your case has poor air flow.

You will may have to select the profile everytime you start the computer, but it will work until there is a fix or better info so i can figure how to change the auto target temp.

I sold one of my 3870's to get a couple 4870's. But I'm broke again, any word when the 1GB cards are to be released?

Well I got my Sapphire 4870 earlier this week and had to send it back to newegg as RMA due to card overheating within a few minutes of running Win XP. I could not even install the 8.6 drivers it came with before shutting off due to overheating. The entire PCB became so hot to touch that I thought it was going to melt. Obviously mine was defective. I will post reviews as soon as the new one gets here. I still use my Sapphire 2900XT daily and never had any issues with it, but this 4870 was disappointing. :(

Visiontek HD 4850 - 700/1110 - stock volts - stock cooling

Attachments

• 4850-700-1110.gif
    4850-700-1110.gif
    109.4 KB · Views: 1,805
Last edited:
Back