• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The HD 4870/50 Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What do you want to mod?

Oh, anything. Just curious as to what mods can be done, and have been tried. Some cards can be voltmodded, whether it's a hardmod or not, doesn't matter. Last year watercooling was my big thing to try, this year I'd like to try doing some mods to videocards, motherboards etc. I love to tweak and I've been getting progressively deeper into it as the years go on. It's something I've been wanting to try, and I have a friend who specialized in circuit board soldering and whatnot, so I figure together we could get er dun without killing anything.
Voiding warantee is my only concern.

xtremesystems has, and there is a guide on
http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/voltmods/153

I am running 850/1000 on water on stock vcore.
Need a modd for higher klocks.

Thanks.

First play with 4870 CF, BIOS set clocks and default VGPU (AMD GPU Clock Tool will not overclock R770 in CF mode).

EP45-DQ6 dual 8x PCIe DDR2 board (contrary to what CPU-Z reports) ;)

83471_875-1175.jpg

Looks real good. I just got a E8500 off EBay that shows a lot of promise. I can't wait to see what both my cards voltmodded will do with it.

Wanted 50K on the stock cooler so I got it.. The card didn't want 50k at first, but it didnt' really have a choice now did it? ;)

The core is pencil moddded, getting a real volt mod tomorrow when my pots arrive. From what I've read, the pencil mod gives 1.25v but I soldered some voltage read points, and I'm getting 1.237v.

3dmark0350128stockcoolidu9.jpg

So I just picked up an Asus 4850. The thing is running really hot and I'm just installing XP. Should I up the fanspeed or what? If it can't dissipate stock heat with a stock cooler, Asus better be covering it with a fatty warranty...

So I just picked up an Asus 4850. The thing is running really hot and I'm just installing XP. Should I up the fanspeed or what? If it can't dissipate stock heat with a stock cooler, Asus better be covering it with a fatty warranty...
Yes you should. At least 50%.

with all the pencil modding n stuff u guys do isnt their like a big chance ur destroy ur cards etc...is it not risky...

and if u have how many have u bust...(just curious)

with all the pencil modding n stuff u guys do isnt their like a big chance ur destroy ur cards etc...is it not risky...

and if u have how many have u bust...(just curious)
Never killed a card because of a pencil mod. You just have to be careful and take your time.

How can I do that...The Catalyst software seems to lack a fanspeed option...

There is an option, it's just hidden in an XML file. Make a new profile called fanspeed, find it on your drive (should be "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\ATI\ACE\Profiles\fanspeed.xml", obviously your username, though). Find the following sections:
fanspeed.xml said:
<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">
<Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Automatic" />
</Feature>
fanspeed.xml said:
<Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="0" />
</Feature>

Change Automatic to Manual and change 0 to whatever percent you want the fan to stay at. Remember that this is a >10k RPM fan at 100%, and will be very loud if you set it to high speed permanently. I've tried setting it to Automatic with a percentage of 100, but it doesn't seem to change anything from default behavior. If you aren't using a couple slots below your card and have $50 to spare, a ThermalRight V2, ThermalRight "8800 PWM" sinks, and a 80mm Noctua fan will cool it much better and much quieter.

here is my attempt at playing with 4870s in CF, used XML file to increase fan speed to 45%.

Attachments

• 3dmark034870CF86561.jpg
    3dmark034870CF86561.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 421
There is an option, it's just hidden in an XML file. Make a new profile called fanspeed, find it on your drive (should be "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\ATI\ACE\Profiles\fanspeed.xml", obviously your username, though). Find the following sections:

Change Automatic to Manual and change 0 to whatever percent you want the fan to stay at. Remember that this is a >10k RPM fan at 100%, and will be very loud if you set it to high speed permanently. I've tried setting it to Automatic with a percentage of 100, but it doesn't seem to change anything from default behavior. If you aren't using a couple slots below your card and have $50 to spare, a ThermalRight V2, ThermalRight "8800 PWM" sinks, and a 80mm Noctua fan will cool it much better and much quieter.

EDIT: Found it, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Have I changed the proper values?

<Feature name="FanSpeedProtocol_0">
<Property name="FanSpeedProtocolProperty" value="Percent" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">
<Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Manual" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="0" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="45" />
</Feature>

Last edited:
@Bad...

yes that looks correct now save it and then right click your CCC and activate the profile...believe me you'll hear if it kicks in. :beer:

Back