• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ultra X3 600watt PSU ok enough for my build???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'd avoid Ultra products at ALL costs. Just because it was made by a good oem at one time does not mean they haven't "revised" it to a cheaper build quality.

Fair point, but they're still the same Andyson platform as far as I'm aware.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4435016&CatId=1079

This psu on the other hand is 20 bucks cheaper and has a more believable rating. It's also made by a reputable manufacturer, Silverstone, which I'd take over anything Ultra makes.

Group regulated FSP made unit. No competition for the Ultra.

It also has active power correction, whereas the ultra doesn't.

Incorrect. The X3 has APFC.

And just for ****s and giggles I looked up the 400 watt version of the silverstone psu. It has the same amperage specs as the 600 watt ultra.

Incorrect. Combined 12V rating on that one is 29A. And it's another mediocre group regulated FSP. You can't just add the two 12V rails together - you want the combined rating for accuracy. The Ultra can do the whole 36A. Granted, that's a bit low for a 600W unit, but let's compare apples to apples here.

Old design, even worse than the 400W you just mentioned. The very embodiment of a cheap passive PFC FSP built unit.

Can't really justify paying 100 bucks for what is actually and overrated 400 watt psu when the 400 watt silverstone is 60 dollars, is a more reputable brand, and has a rating thats actually believable.

Low end FSP does not compete with midgrade Andyson, no matter what brand name is on it. Sorry.

*http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3247723&CatId=4294 10 dollars less than the ultra, has 49 amps on the 12 volt rail, and is made by pc power and cooling (yet another good psu maker I'd trust over ultra.)

Again, incorrect. Made by Seasonic. PC P&C makes nothing. This is the first one you've posted that is actual competition for the Ultra. The ST56F and ST60F are Silverstone's nearest competing products, though still group regulated.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but you sound more like an Ultra rep. As a system builder I won't even touch ultra gear for my own rig or my customers due to very poor experience with multiple products I've purchased, including 7 psus of various wattage and model. I seriouisly would rather build a thousand dollar rig with a deer/powerup psu than to run my desktop off anything offered by ultra. They have problems honoring their rebates and it's irresponsible for you to recommend them to anyone just based on that, as you're rewarding their lack of integrity. And for the record, as a qualified EE with a masters, I'd have zero problem recommending even a low end fsp psu over most of the crap people put in their rigs these days.

I'm sorry but you sound more like an Ultra rep.

Why, because I disagree with you? Would an Ultra rep do this and then post it on Youtube?

I seriouisly would rather build a thousand dollar rig with a deer/powerup psu than to run my desktop off anything offered by ultra.

I hope you're not serious about using Deer.

They have problems honoring their rebates and it's irresponsible for you to recommend them to anyone just based on that

I'm not recommending them based on that. I'm saying you're comparing the X3 to lesser models from other companies.

And for the record, as a qualified EE with a masters, I'd have zero problem recommending even a low end fsp psu over most of the crap people put in their rigs these days.

For the record, as someone who reviews power supplies for a living and has over 20 years experience in electronics repair, I'd have no problem with that either.

Trouble is, we're not talking about crap, we're talking about an X3. You don't like the company... fine. The company's reputation isn't what I'm talking about here. Ultra has many misses (don't get me started on that X2 750W POS), but the X3 600W is not one of them unless they've dumped Andyson.

Crap companies can have good products, and good companies can have crap products. I see that proven every month. The name on the box isn't everything.

Last edited:
For the record, as someone who reviews power supplies for a living and has over 20 years experience in electronics repair, I'd have no problem with that either.

Trouble is, we're not talking about crap, we're talking about an X3. You don't like the company... fine. The company's reputation isn't what I'm talking about here. Ultra has many misses (don't get me started on that X2 750W POS), but the X3 600W is not one of them unless they've dumped Andyson.

Crap companies can have good products, and good companies can have crap products. I see that proven every month. The name on the box isn't everything.

And the man has spoken. The word of OW regarding PSU's is regarded as gospel around here. When it comes to the quality of a PSU, I don't think I would personally trust anyone elses word more. As a matter of fact, I have used his reviews several times to make informed decisions on purchases, and haven't regretted a decision based on his reviews yet.

Well, again I will mention new series from Antec, TruePower New, which is semi-modular so to say. They (550W and 650W models) are cheaper then Corsair's 520HX and 620HX and are better. 80+ bronze certified and ripple like you see on signature and M12D. What's not to like (except for the color :) )...

And the man has spoken. The word of OW regarding PSU's is regarded as gospel around here. When it comes to the quality of a PSU, I don't think I would personally trust anyone elses word more. As a matter of fact, I have used his reviews several times to make informed decisions on purchases, and haven't regretted a decision based on his reviews yet.

Indeed. I have done the same when purchasing a new psu for my needs.

There is no one here that has reviewed more power supplies over the years, and knows more about them than OW.

You can call whatever you want the "Gospel" but it doesn't make it any truer. JUst because it was manufactured by a good OEM when he reviewed it, doesn't mean Ultra couldn't just change the oem suddenly for cost reasons and even OW seems to acknowledge that. A company that's not on the level in one or two areas isn't going to suddenly develope morals in the rest of their buisiness model From an engineering standpoint, group regulated = less points of potential failure just through a lower actual part count.

Also, about not being able to just add the rails together, from our very own forum sticky:
"What is "multiple +12V rails", really?

In most cases, multiple +12V rails are actually just a single +12V source just split up into multiple +12V outputs each with a limited output capability.

There are a few units that actually have two +12V sources, but these are typically very high output power supplies. And in most cases these multiple +12V outputs are split up again to form a total of four, five or six +12V rails for even better safety. To be clear: These REAL multiple +12V rail units are very rare and are all 1000W+ units (Enermax Galaxy, Topower/Tagan "Dual Engine", Thermaltake Tough Power 1000W & 1200W, for example.)"

Most of the seasonic psus I've played with don't have a current limiter on the 12 volt rails, so if you exceed the amp rating for one of the 12 volt rails, it pulls extra amperage from the other 12 volt rail, and does so without a problem( not truly a split rail). I mention this because they appear to be the oem of a lot of the popular psus people mention in the forums as being a good choice ( Corsair for example).

About the passive pfc on some of the psus i listed:
The thread of recommended psus has several that have passive pfc so do they deserve to not be recommended? And if so then why are they stickied?

Once you get past a certain point of quality there are diminishing returns and people fail to grasp that because they're more concerned with comparing E-Weenors based on packaging specs. I still stand by the fact that the ultra is garbage just because if something does go wrong with it, you're going to have a hard time getting it straightened out. Sure it can be nice to have something nice in your system that you feel is worth bragging about, BUT HERE IN THE REAL WORLD we value reliability and cost/performance over the word of an online pundit who seems not to have a problem suggesting a person buy from a company that's not always on the level with its customers. Some of the old schoolers here may remember, that back in the day, OCZ used to put out products so bad it bordered on outright fraud. What caused them to become a reputable company people could trust again? People started avoiding their products like the plague. The company then had a management change and , poof, we end up with a company that's pretty reliable and puts out relatively good products. I'm not trying to pick on ocz, just using them as an example of what a company with bad business practices can become when people stop buying into the hype and force a change by taking their business elsewhere.

And I don't mean this as being directed at you OW, but I don't trust online reveiws as much as my personal , hands on, experience with a product due to the fact that some reveiwers are compensated for their work by the same company they're reveiwing, and don't reveal it.

In short, God could have made the ultra psu, and I still wouldn't touch it just because sheisty companies shouldn't have their bad business practices rewarded.

Last edited:
Have you seen one of OW's reviews? They are much more thorough and precise than some of those sites that say "Asus Probe says these voltages are within spec, so it must be a good PSU". He puts them under a heat load, cross load, maxes them out, and so on and so forth. To add to this, he will disassemble it, and show what it is really made of. He does an excellent job, and we trust his work because he has never steered us in the wrong direction. When he recommends a PSU, we know that it has been put to the test, and is worth the money. I trust his word, and have made some very informed decisions based on his reviews, and haven't been disappointed yet.

arkan I understand your point of view about companies but OW is one of the 2-3 guys around the net which I completely trust when it speaks about PSU's.
I dunno if it matter for you but I just want to say it. :)

I understand that, and after reading more of his work on johnyguru after posting, I can see why he's trusted. I trust his reveiw of the psu he tested, I just don't trust a company like Ultra to not substitute another oem after the product has been on the market for cost savings. They also have a bad track record with rebates and rmas. So while the psu may be up to snuff based on its OEM, if there is a problem then the buyer gets shafted thanks to Ultras business practices.

You can call whatever you want the "Gospel" but it doesn't make it any truer.

HERE IN THE REAL WORLD we value reliability and cost/performance over the word of an online pundit who seems not to have a problem suggesting a person buy from a company that's not always on the level with its customers.

And I don't mean this as being directed at you OW, but

You appear to be looking for a flame war. Look elsewhere, I don't have time.

Group regulation uses less parts, yes. It also results in less stable regulation as compared to indy... as an EE you will know this. There's always a tradeoff.

You still cannot just add 12V1 and 12V2 together - you have to go with the combined 12V rating. Most OEM's set the individual OCP high enough to let the unit handle unbalanced 12V loads without the unit shutting down. That's why the Silverstone you mentioned has a 29A cutoff for the cumulative 12V rails on it, and yet still allows 18A on each rail.

I consider passive PFC inferior to APFC because it only does half the job.

I'm done in here - all this petty bickering over Ultra's business practices is not helping the OP.

If I was looking for a flame war I would have asked you to prove you've never been compensated for a reveiw. And as an EE, group regulation's main weakness is cross loading the psu. Crossloading as severe as what I've seen you use in you're reveiws shouldn't ever be happening in someone's system. It just seems to me that you don't like anyone questioning what you say (was no need for the attitude if you didn't have a complex about being challenged), but unfortunately for you, I have the education (masters) + 8 years working on milspec electronics to know what I'm talking about. So far all you've done is post further dwindling challenges to what I say every time you responde because you're running out of excuses. An for the record, I've been a member of these forums for quite a while and you're the only person to ever accuse me of flaming so maybe I hit a nerve?

Last edited:
Arkan, give it a rest. All that oklahoma did was state a fact and it seemed as if you took it as an opinion and took offense to it. Flat out, Oklahoma is stating facts with numbers to prove it and platform details to prove it. The sad part is not enough people rely on fact like Oklahoma provides, rather they take a brand name and praise it or bash it rather than breaking the damn thing down and seeing how it works on the inside.

Enough of the side tracking, back to business

Arkan, give it a rest. All that oklahoma did was state a fact and it seemed as if you took it as an opinion and took offense to it. Flat out, Oklahoma is stating facts with numbers to prove it and platform details to prove it. The sad part is not enough people rely on fact like Oklahoma provides, rather they take a brand name and praise it or bash it rather than breaking the damn thing down and seeing how it works on the inside.

Enough of the side tracking, back to business

I have to agree. I am also done with this thread, as the bickering has gone way off topic, and is of absolutely no help to the OP.

I have built five systems using Ultra power supplys. I had one of those systems go down because of a power supply. I contacted Ultra,the rep said that particular ps was no longer made but would have to replace it with a 650 modular ps. Ultra sent me a ups sticker and I sent the bad ps back to them and a week later I was sent the new ps. I don't consider that a bad turn around time. The ps that went bad was two yrs. old. I put a 750 w modular Ultra in my personal build and it handles everything just fine.

I appreciate everybodies opinions. Specially Oklahoma Wolfs honesty, saying the X3 is good but stay away from other ultra's.

Only thing i will say about the debate is in my system i have toasted a 400w PSU, and a 500w PSU, both no names but still my system is not all that. So i bought my Ultra 500w X-Connect and the thing has been rock solid for over 2 yrs now without a hiccup. VERY good PSU and i have 0 complaints about it at all.

With that said i've decided most likely i will end up getting a Corsair HX750 PSU. HX620 at the least hehe

The X-Connect is below average quality. OEM is Youngyear. I'd retire that one for good, honestly.

just wanted to update and say thanks everybody

Ordered the Corsair 750HX. Should be here next week! Was a pretty penny but figured i would do it right and good the first time.

Back