• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED What did you get today?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The only explanation is that I'm in an apartment complex. IIRC ISPs usually only put a limited number of circuits in these things, which limits individual bandwidth.

Got lucky with my first apartment. Lived in an edge unit and Verizon was able to sneak in FIOS.

I live in an 11-floor building with a fiber hub in the basement, which goes to about 20 families. The same for 3 or 4 other ISPs in our building. I was actually changing it two times because of prices and additional services (or lack of them). Most ISPs offer 1-10Gbps, and they actually deliver it (1Gbps is ~950Mbps, 10Gbps is ~8.5Gbps, but it's normal). The main difference is in prices and support.
Once I switched the ISP when I noticed DoS attacks from ISP servers in my router's log. It was on the same days of the week and was causing disconnections. They ignored every email I sent them. The last ISP raised prices when all others were lowering them. Now I have had no problems for nearly a year and lower prices, so I can't complain.

I live in an 11-floor building with a fiber hub in the basement, which goes to about 20 families. The same for 3 or 4 other ISPs in our building. I was actually changing it two times because of prices and additional services (or lack of them). Most ISPs offer 1-10Gbps, and they actually deliver it (1Gbps is ~950Mbps, 10Gbps is ~8.5Gbps, but it's normal). The main difference is in prices and support.
Once I switched the ISP when I noticed DoS attacks from ISP servers in my router's log. It was on the same days of the week and was causing disconnections. They ignored every email I sent them. The last ISP raised prices when all others were lowering them. Now I have had no problems for nearly a year and lower prices, so I can't complain.

I might just be unlucky then. Both places I've had since I moved to NoVa only had the one (Cox). And honestly the local admin for my current place suuucks. Went through her when I moved in, went days without internet because she set the account up wrong and didn't realize I was moving an account, not starting a new one.

I may actually become a vtuber so I can claim this as a work expense and therefore sue. Who wants to see my drunken ramblings? Less GOOOO!

I might just be unlucky then. Both places I've had since I moved to NoVa only had the one (Cox). And honestly the local admin for my current place suuucks. Went through her when I moved in, went days without internet because she set the account up wrong and didn't realize I was moving an account, not starting a new one.

I may actually become a vtuber so I can claim this as a work expense and therefore sue. Who wants to see my drunken ramblings? Less GOOOO!

I guess the problem is the admin and the way how internet is shared in the building. I assume you pay for the internet to the building owner, so I bet they just use one line and share it with everyone. We only have main fibers "split" in the buildings, and that's all, but it's not shared. Every line is separately registered on servers/has its own channel. I can't explain it in details but this is how everything works here.

I guess the problem is the admin and the way how internet is shared in the building. I assume you pay for the internet to the building owner, so I bet they just use one line and share it with everyone. We only have main fibers "split" in the buildings, and that's all, but it's not shared. Every line is separately registered on servers/has its own channel. I can't explain it in details but this is how everything works here.
No I pay directly to Cox, as I did with my last apartment. Guess I just phrase it wrong - I don't pay to the complex owner, I pay to Cox direct, and they measure direct. But I'm in agreement with what else you said, they may just run one line to the "property" and it's split from there.

7980xe.jpg
I know I keep wondering if my current system is stable or not, but I finally found a 7980XE cheap enough to be worth a try. For less than the cost of a current platform AMD 6 core or Intel 6+4 core, I get 18 cores! Now to find where my thermal paste is and get it installed.

IMG_20240118_175245.jpg
Technically not new but I just rediscovered this while looking for a Noctua cooler I'm sure I have, but just can't find. It's a Core 2 era board. I think I have a dual core in it. I'm sure there's a reason for the ram being how it is but there's also a bag with other sticks nearby, as well as a GPU just to get video out. No sign of the OS disk though. Might have reused it already.

I hope you have the Foxconn driver CD/DVD around somewhere. Their support site is gone & it's a pain to find all the alternative downloads for everything. I have a little Foxconn Sandy/Ivy ITX board & was lucky to get all the downloads for it before the site was taken down.

I've put it away again for now. I didn't even know I still had it until I found it. No short term use for it. Still can't find the Noctua cooler. Making me wonder if I ever had it at all!

That's like my Thermalright XP-90 which I was sure I had somewhere. Turns out I never had an XP-90 & you can imagine my surprise & delight when I found the Thermalright XP-120 a year or 2 ago in a box in the basement. lol

IMG_20240119_143609.jpg
Arrived a day early. Arrived without socket cover. After checking the pins were all ok, I put my CPU in place to protect it. Leaving the mobo to warm up to room temperature before I build in case of any condensation. I got all the other bits ready to build! Except a case. Who needs a case?

Small bonus: that's an Intel Wifi+BT adapter in the middle. Looking up how much an antenna for it costs.

View attachment 364144
Technically not new but I just rediscovered this while looking for a Noctua cooler I'm sure I have, but just can't find. It's a Core 2 era board. I think I have a dual core in it. I'm sure there's a reason for the ram being how it is but there's also a bag with other sticks nearby, as well as a GPU just to get video out. No sign of the OS disk though. Might have reused it already.

What's the model on that board? I'm wondering if it's Crossfire only or SLI capable, but guessing it's the former.

Could also try Snappydriverproject for a driver autoloader if you decide to tinker with it.

What's the model on that board? I'm wondering if it's Crossfire only or SLI capable, but guessing it's the former.
I found P35A on it which lead me to the following link. Seems about right. Second PCIe slot is x4 from chipset.

I haven't tried it, but I found some small SSDs, one of which had an OS on it. It may or may not belong to this board.

In preparation for the shipping of my Framework 16 Laptop I designed a utilitarian clam shell laptop stand which holds a pair of 60mm fans to assist in cooling the Radeon 7700 graphics. The 120mm version is printing now but here's a look at the dual 60's version

Noctua60Stand.jpg

I found P35A on it which lead me to the following link. Seems about right. Second PCIe slot is x4 from chipset.

I haven't tried it, but I found some small SSDs, one of which had an OS on it. It may or may not belong to this board.
Looks like a similar PCIE configuration to my IP35 Pro. It also has an x4 to chipset. Technically it could run Crossfire but it's kind of gimped with the x4. Better off using a PCIE audio card or newer SATA RAID card or something.

Not really computer related.

Last weekend I lost an earbud after only three months. So I bought the exact same style cuz I R SMRT 0.o

IMG_20240126_144928262.jpg

Also I mentioned before ordering a custom LM. Backed out that time, finally followed through.

IMG_20240126_144947358_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240126_145057408.jpg

Got my name engraved on the other side as I have a bad habit of losing things...

Obviously.

Back