• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED What did you get today?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Good to hear, thanks. I'm in that valley of knowledge with photography where I know just enough to know I know nothing, nice to know it helps.

Be careful. Be very careful. Photography is like PCs as a hobby, it will suck you in and consume your time, money, and possibly even your soul! even MORE so if you decide to buy Film SLR cameras. Then to practice your photography, you'll start setting up civil war dioramas, or posing action figures, or you'll start offroading out to the middle of nowhere... before you know it, you'll be collecting HOBBIES, all the expensive hobbies!

sorry, i'm suffering from a sugar rush right now...

Be careful. Be very careful. Photography is like PCs as a hobby, it will suck you in and consume your time, money, and possibly even your soul! even MORE so if you decide to buy Film SLR cameras. Then to practice your photography, you'll start setting up civil war dioramas, or posing action figures, or you'll start offroading out to the middle of nowhere... before you know it, you'll be collecting HOBBIES, all the expensive hobbies!

sorry, i'm suffering from a sugar rush right now...
Know I'm getting a little sidetracked but at this point photography is maybe 4th on the list of things I need to worry about. It's behind PCs, cars, and surprisingly leather goods. Like I actually got into #3 from #1. Got a nice leather mousepad that I'm afraid to use, because it's a nice piece of leather. Then I started looking into how to care for leather. Picked up some nice leathercare products. Put some time into cleaning up my *work boots*.

Edit: Honestly I'm lagging. Audio ties with PCs at #1. Like I've dumped $2-300 into a DAC or a receiver on impulse. Audio equipment will be what puts me on the street.

source-3631397293.gif

Last edited:
I got some spaghetti (Printer Filament) in Red Sparkle, Black Sparkle, Slate Gray Sparkle, a roll of Desert Tan, and a roll of Jeans Blue PLA-CF, a couple additional PEI Plates, some glue, and some desiccant packs. I'd snap pics but I'm too tired right now to open the box and lay out everything for a pic. (will do later and edit the post)

I also ordered another AMS unit for my original X1 Carbon and, after swapping out my .4mm nozzle for a .2mm one on it, I got a new boat! Very responsive! Stops on a dime! (was just testing the .2mm nozzle...it seems to have worked pretty decent!) You know what they say...It's far from perfect but perfect from afar.
StopsOnaDime.jpg

So much stuff to sort out though! Thankfully I have considerable overlap with my old rented place so I don't have to do it in one day. Today I just ordered fridge/freezer/washing machine. That's GPU money there! :D No photos yet, they get delivered Saturday. Owning a house comes with responsibilities too so I've got a bunch of maintenance tasks lined up already. Gonna take some time to make it mine.

The most important of all: internet access! Thankfully the new place supports fiber so I've got 500 booked. Unfortunately they can't set up for nearly 2 weeks. Debated going 900 but I don't think I really need it. Want, for sure, but I'd just spend more for not a lot of practical difference. Tier below 500 is 150 so that's too slow. My outgoing place only supports 65 which is as bad as it sounds. Everything takes forever to download. Found it interesting, even though there is the same network infrastructure from various resellers, they differ on the minimum guaranteed download speed. I get a better claimed minimum on the 500 I picked than a 900 with another supplier. I guess one company paid more to have less contention?

If you don't mind me asking , what ya getting for upload speed, symetrical?
Speaking of............

AT&T fiber is being installed today. 1GB symmetrical for $80 /month (currently 1GB/60MB). Once we move the phones over to them, that drops to $60 /month.

Hopefully, I can get them to install the home run in the basement (where I'll put my router) AND run a line to my office (top floor). Currently, the cable modem and my router are in my office. Trying to get the kids wired since they are gamers and still have my system wired. This way, in case this hurts my upstairs Wi-Fi, I can install another router/repeater for better coverage. We'll see.

If you don't mind me asking , what ya getting for upload speed, symetrical?
Unfortunately symmetrical isn't really a thing for consumer offerings in this country. The 500 service I'm getting is rated at 525/72 average, rated 440 minimum download. It's £35/month or US$44/m. The 900 service is 944/110 min 725 for US$57/m. Prices go up every April at a rate above inflation, this year will be 7.7%. 2 year contract which is typical in this space. Shorter ones work out more expensive.

Im in a very rural area. Heres current specs on the link:
650Mb Download 40 Mb Upload.
$160 monthly
includes /28 and VOIP based landline telephone line.

Brief testing uncovers 40 Mb upload covers a single 4k thread

Same house bought new in 1996, but yesterday new vinyl plank flooring! The view below is the living room and dining room, it also went in the study, foyer and kitchen. We left carpet in the family room for our collie to run around in. Also, it went in the upstairs hallway. I'm reconnecting the TV and audio components, and my wife will put all the stuff in the curio cabinet and dining room china cabinet. They ran out of planks, so they'll be back tomorrow to finish the eat-in area of the kitchen.

PXL_20240216_154121987.jpg

'Nother off topic post. So back in August I posted about getting a leather notebook. To keep things classy, got a fountain pen and ink samples.

IMG_20240216_161630467(1).jpg

Basic Pilot pen plus an ink sampler kit. Figured I need to work on my handwriting and now I'm down an excuse.

Edit: Realized this looks like a half decent CGI photo. If it is, I blame ED >.>

Last edited:
View attachment 365163

Bought a month of unlimited mobile data until I get broadband installed. This is actually faster than my wired connection at my old place! Well, ping is worse but up and down are slightly better (nominally 65/16).
I had to run everything off Google Fi when the roof of my apartment complex partially collapsed and they put us up in a Hotel while it was being fixed. I was surprised at how well the hot spot worked.

Back