• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED What did you get today?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So I started thinking about getting a dashcam a while ago when I witnessed what was essentially a hit and run where no one got the plate of the guy that took off. Finally decided to jump on one when I had a *real* close call on the way to work yesterday - driver was distracted and made an unsignalled lane change right in front of me at highway speeds. Side note - Virginians, use yo damn turn signals. You're not all driving BMWs.

I checked a few lists at work, the Garmin Mini 2 popped up on several for its affordability and small size. Came in earlier this morning. Also grabbed a 64gb Sandisk Max Endurance mSD that's still in transit.

View attachment 365035

Edit: Got the mSD card

View attachment 365041

Just doubling down on this. My dad was behind a crash just this morning and his car was dinged up. The other driver was likely uninsured. Getting a dashcam is just as much to protect you as anyone else.

I got some fasteners. I hate these things. Every time I restock on fasteners for computers or 3D Printers or whatever, I get one of these damn boxes which is just a little smaller/wider/different than the rest of the ones I have. Additionally, those little compartments have dividers that pop out and then the screws/bolts/whatever gets mixed with the others and the only way you can straighten them out is dump them out and sort through them yourself.
Compress_20240317_130833_3144.jpg

I decided to print a container that holds all those fasteners and came up with this:

Compress_20240317_131415_5611.jpg

When they're closed they look like the pic below. I started with just the straight lines on the tray covers (like on the red, right-side trays) to make it easier to slide open the lid but, on the silver trays on the left, I started making the lines on the lid reflect the layout of the containers within. Of course, I can still goof up on putting the little containers into the trays, as shown in the pic below, lol
Compress_20240317_131415_5777.jpg

You may think "That's all fine and good, but you still have to carry 4 of these containers around which don't secure to each other so they slide around if you set one on top of another", and you'd be right, but I thought of that and made this carry-all case for them

Compress_20240317_131415_5434.jpg Compress_20240317_131415_5244.jpg

All printed parts are PLA Sparkle from Bambu Labs. (Slate Gray, Red, and Onyx sparkle)
*All parts were printed using my old X1 Carbon with .6mm nozzle, 50% infill 3 bottom, 3 walls, 3 top with no support
I use (2) washers, (2) M5 nuts, and (2) M5 20mm socket cap screws

* Handle printed at 90% infill because I wasn't sure how heavy the carry-all container would be when the individual containers were filled

I'm not done with the design yet...I am adding knobs to the front of each of the containers so they're easy to slide in/out of the carry case.

Don't get me wrong, I think that's a cool idea, but the amount of time and money for those trays...wow. I use the ones that have the removable dividers like you mentioned, but have never had a divider come out without me pulling it out. Stanley Sortmaster Light. (Had to look them up it's been so long lol) The trays lock onto each other for convienient carrying.

Don't get me wrong, I think that's a cool idea, but the amount of time and money for those trays...wow. I use the ones that have the removable dividers like you mentioned, but have never had a divider come out without me pulling it out. Stanley Sortmaster Light. (Had to look them up it's been so long lol) The trays lock onto each other for convienient carrying.
The time and money spent was negligible for two reasons...

1 I already had the filament on hand for Xmas projects

2 I've got two X1Carbons so stuff gets done quick.

Designing them was easy and fast with Tinkercad.

Another Mokerlink 2.5Gps Desktop Switch with 10Gps Uplink Port
Managed Switch
$52 Ebay Used in Good Condition

20240318_174219-1.jpg
20240318_174230-1.jpg
20240318_174238-1.jpg

This is one is meant to sit inside A different subnet and provide 2.5Gps Ports with higher uplink bandwidth.
The administration gui is very simple to use.

I got my Framework 16 but they sent me the left hand keyboard
Left.jpg

So i changed it to the right hsand keyboard
right.jpg

then i ran Cinebench 2024 just to get an idea of its performance
RanksCB2024.jpg

it's pretty nice so far but runs warm...but i have started designing something to fix that issue...

Was the Keyboard/Touch Pad rearrange an easy fix? Seems that's the point of the Framework design. What GPU does it have in it? Looks nice. :thup:

HTA20 from parts depot. My desk is a disaster.
View attachment 365527

tenor-1775038476.gif

IMG_20240322_193252143_HDR.jpg

Also I impulse ordered a pair of nixie tube clocks off MassDrop, they came in earlier this week. I'm a sucker for nixie tubes. One's going in the bedroom, one's going on my desk at work.

IMG_20240322_193858004_HDR.jpg

Slight update: Tried setting the amp up last night, realized the speaker jacks are a PITA to use, and I couldn't find a USB A to B cable. Picked up some cheap adapters and a cable, came in, and was able to get the thing set up.

IMG_20240323_125156259_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_20240325_201504.jpg
The table is new too! It'll go in another room later.

Did a bios update to latest and now doing a quick memtest before I install Windows on it. Dunno who's fault (probably Intel) but the stock cooler interferes with the nearest ram slot. I'm not going to get a stick in if it has a heatsink. I think a bare single sided stick might fit. Maybe a low profile stick could get under the cooler. The stick shown is 16GB 2Rx8, the same one that doesn't get detected in my X299 system. The only single sided sticks that I have without a heatsink are 4GB 1Rx16 so that'll probably perform worse even dual channel compared to this one.

Mobo: £67, US$70
CPU: £79, US$83
Monitor: £72, US$76
Desk: £43, US$45
GBP prices include tax, US$ don't.

Last edited:
Yesterday, I got the second Fractal Terra / Jade for the second Minisforum PC. Both builds are not much different, but one uses AMD CPU, and the second one Intel.
Usually, I don't care about single missing screws, but in the new case, we were missing all 4 motherboard spacers and one of the tool-less screws for the graphics card. All of them are supposed to be pre-installed, so here is Fractal's top quality control. I have a lot of screws from other builds, so I used something else (brass spacers instead of black, but it doesn't matter as they're under the motherboard). However, a "regular user" would have to contact support and wait or just send back the case, as without it, it's impossible to install the motherboard.

Fractal Terra isn't really new and original, but it improved some things that have been on the market for longer. As long as you don't need a larger cooler, it's small and has enough space for cable management and everything else. Let's say there are some little things that matter. For the price, I would still expect something more, but the competition doesn't offer more either. At this price, the whole front could be wooden (not only a small part about which marketing shouts like it was something fantastic), and the back could be closed as there are visible "holes". Brands like Jonsbo add back panels, and their products are cheaper.

I don't remember if I posted any photos of the first one, and I don't have one of the second one right now, so here is one of them:

1707816669532.jpg

Here are the general specs of both builds. Inside are some other things that I got in the last months, but many are reused from previous builds.
#1 Minisforum AR900i / 13900HX/24 cores, 32GB Kingston Impact 6000@6800 CL34, RTX4070 FE, Corsair SP600/600W 80+ Plat.
#2 Minisforum BD790I / 7945HX/16 cores, 64GB Kingston Impact 5600@5200 CL38 (mobo limit), EVGA RTX3060 XC, Corsair SP750/750W 80+ Plat.
Both have Noctua NF-A12X25/120mm + NF-A12x15/120mm fans set at ~0-40%.

Back