• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which cpu for micro atx setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chaos

not much gaming..just purchased this board- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138345
will be more for encoding(i believe) was looking at getting one of the older X6 chips(1055t,1065t, etc.), but still kinda high on ebay(100.00+) can get the fx-6100 for $104.00(till 11-5), but here the fx series arent as goos as original phenom II's..could also get a 965 BE for $99..what would you get..got everything except cpu coming right now..

Can get a CPU and board right now in the classifieds for 105 shipped, w/940 BE:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719908

You could sell whichever of the boards you don't want, and that'd probably make this the most economical option available to you. You'd have to move quick, that classifieds sale won't last.

PHII efficiency makes up for bulldozer/piledriver clock advantages. However for encoding that supports more than 4 cores, you'd be better served by the bulldozer/piledriver, unless you found a cheap hex core in which case it can go either way - but it will cost more so it depends how price sensitive you are.

That's piledriver, pretty much the same as bulldozer, but received a bit better and priced pretty reasonably.

For a hex core, I'd go with a used PHII CPU personally. They were/are good chips, and you get better single threaded performance per clock out of them - with bulldozer you'll be trying to hit high enough clocks to make up for the difference. At up to 6 threads they will be about the best for encoding. If you really wanted an encoding advantage, the only one that stands out to me is the FX-8320 - the price is really good, and it gets you up to 8 cores which you'll notice in encoding times so long as the program you are using to encode can utilize all 8 cores.

Just my opinion here. A lot of people are pretty happy with the piledriver results, and they would be a fine choice.

The only thing is I can get a new fx-6300 for 140..i would be looking to get a Phenom II 1090t, but it would be used and cost about the same if not more...

Reading a few more reviews says there's not much difference in the 6100 and the 6300..wish I saw that yesterday could've saved another $15 dollars on the 6100..what about the fx-4170..not a hexacore, but 4.2ghz

Last edited:
Back