• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

64MB vs 128mb, is there a big difference?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wandl

I have the choice of a 64MB 8500 LE ATI Radeon from a local shop or the 128mb version for $15 more...is there a big difference? I have a 19" monitor and usually run my games 1024x768 if not smaller...will I see any improvement or difference between the 64mb or 128Mb?

And the shop I'm getting it from has the ATI as well as the Sapphire brand..any difference between the two?

thx in advance :eek:

Yes, it depends on the 3D application that you are running and how much FSAA and AF you are using. Most typical 64MB cards get saturated with 1024x768x32 with 4X FSAA and simple 2XAnistrophy filtering.

If your not planning on using more than 1024x768x32 and 2X FSAA is plenty for you then you really wont see a difference going to 128MB..

Then there is SimCity 4 that can take use of 256MB cards. SimCity 4 actually stores as much of the city as possible in video memory so that it does not need to be re-cached again and again.

128MB cards useally can run 1280x960x32 with 4X FSAA and 8XAF.

OC-Master

agreed...if that $15 dollars means a few more usable months out of your card, it payed for itself

COOL thanks for the info.

BTW I don't know of any graphics manufacturers that make 256MB for gameplay?

Check the memory on those cards! It is possible and even likely that the 64MB Sapphire card has better memory than the 128MB version. For example, I know a vendor that had both cards, the 64MB version had 3.6ns memory while the 128MB had 5ns memory. The 128MB was a bit more expensive, but the 64MB card was definately better in this case (it's the one I got, came clocked at 275/275).

There's not much difference between the ATi and Sapphire versions, except maybe the memory as well, so you'll have to check.

Back