• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6GB of DDR3 only showing up as 4GB... P6TSE/G.Skill in Tri

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's still only showing me 4gb every now and again. And yeah, I've reset it a couple of times, always with the same issue. Thanks for the link though, that's some real good information.

I'm pretty sure my problem lies in the motherboard itself, probably some bad connections on the b1 module, since it's sporadic, and it will "fix" itself if you wiggle the stick of ram in the b1 slot. Since I've had this board for around 3 months now (I think...), I'm more than sure that I can no longer RMA it to newegg where I bought it, so I really don't know what I should do. If anyone has some advice on what I should do with this board (contact ASUS maybe? Tell them what?) I would be more than appreciative!

Well guys new to this forum on account of this exact issue. I have a p6tse I7 950, 2 60 GB OCZ SSDs, 500 GB SATA 5400 RPM, 12 GB ram. I purchased this from IBUYPOWER, this started happening initially. I started with 6 gb of ram. I would open the box and pull out the RAM and then put it back in. It would go from 4 gb to 6 gb when I did this. Now that I have doubled my RAM, it started at 12 GB ram and then now it says 8 GB ram. I fully believe that the problem with the computer is the motherboard. We all have different RAM but we all have the same motherboard. Personally I am fine with 8 GB of RAM but I am angry with the fact that my motherboard is not working properly.

Well this is a very common problem, so before you go replacing dimms or buying a new cpu (if you think your memory controller is bad), do this:

1: go to start>run (search for "run" in vista/win7)> then type "msconfig" in run (without quotes)
2: go to the boot tab and click advanced options. Make sure the maximum memory checkbox is unchecked. If it is checked, Un-check the box and hit ok, then hit apply, and then hit ok and restart your system.
3: make sure you have the latest BIOS, if you do not, you can go to your motherboard manufacturers' website and find it in the support/drivers section.
If your BIOS is up to date skip to step 8.
4: Download the BIOS and burn it to a CD or Flash Drive.
5: restart the computer and insert the CD or flash drive you added the BIOS image on
6: set ALL BIOS SETTINGS to DEFAULT!
6: go into the boot settings right on the startup using the hotkey specified on startup, and change the first boot device to CD/DVD drive or USB (depending on what you used to store the BIOS image).
7: Flash the BIOS, set the settings back to normal and restart the computer. Usually the manufacturer of the motherboard will have their own BIOS flash procedures on the website and/or included in the BIOS image download.
8: Restart the computer and go into the BIOS settings.
9: Go into the memory options and go to TRL (this setting may be in the memory timings section of the options), and change the value to +2. This allows for the DIMMS to be initialized/detected before the handoff to the OS!
10: While in memory options set the CHSTRAP or MCHSTRAP to "DRAM RATIO"
11: Go into the voltage settings and set the RAM voltage to a supported value. Check on the box the modules came in or check with the manufacturer before you do this, as setting the voltage higher than the supported value could damage the DIMMS and/or void the warranty.
12: Save the settings (usually by hitting F10) and restart.

That should fix any memory initialization/detection issues. If this does not fix your issue. Run memtest86 to see if one of the DIMMs/slots is bad. If all comes back ok and you still have problems, there could be a slight chance, that for some reason, your memory controller inside the CPU is on the fritz, meaning you may have pushed memory and/or CPU clocks and/or voltages too far, and you may need a new CPU. However, that is rarely the case. Hope this helps!

also check to see if memory remapping is an option in the BIOS memory settings. If so, enable it and that should help as well.

Back