• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone ever try that Pin-Mod for athlons from that german site?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrappyLuckMan

Registered
Hi, first post :)
I had the first mobo that supported DDR - Iwill KA 266 and that pos started goin crazy where the bios would clear itself or the system would just reboot for no reason. I went and bought an AS7333 from a store for like 60 bux cause I had no money or time (needed mobo for school).
I read the back quickly and it said overclocker friendly and being an Asus I trusted it, but of course the mobo sucks for oc'ing.

Anywho, you can't do any voltage changes at all. :shrug:

Processor #1

Processor Information:
CPU Vendor: AuthenticAMD Platform: Socket A (Socket 462)
Processor: AMD AthlonXP (Thoroughbred 'B') Version: 1.14
CPU Type: Original OEM processor
Name String: AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2600+
Instructions: MMX (Ext), 3DNow (Ext), SSE

CPUID Information:
Standard: Family: 6 Model: 8 Stepping: 1
Extened: Ext. Family: 7 Ext. Model: 8 Brand ID: N/A
Process: 130nm
Revision: B0

CPU & Bus Speed:
CPU Speed: 2205.00MHz
CPU Multiplier: x 15.0
CPU FSB Speed: 147.00MHz
Bus Speed: 294.00 (DDR)

Basic Cache Information:
L1 Instr. Cache size: 64KBytes
L1 Data Cache size: 64KBytes
L2 Cache size: 256KBytes

At 148 fsb windows xp screen will show and that nightrider thing will freeze.
I have 256MB of crucial and 512mb of something with the same latencies both PC266. When I lower the multiplier or up it and lower the fsb (to keep it at stock) it wont boot meaning my cpu is locked right?
So I need to unlock my cpu and/or mod it to get higher default voltage so I can run higher speeds without skippage.

http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html

That site says you can do it by wrapping copper wire around the pins under your cpu I guess. I'm wondering if you can actually do that without frying something and if anything else I need to do.
I'de appreciate any help.

P.S
I have no lil fan on my SIS 745 but I have 2 rear 80mm fans, one side, and 4 front. My cpu has that turnbine fan thingy with the magnets around the fan for more airflow running at 5000 rpm. Idle I get 44C I think.

i doubt yout pci and agp have a lock .. you wont get far till corruption..

you can try wire mods just read carefully and read post after people have tried it to make sure ... im not gonna look through but if you can find one and you need more volatge than do it .. but it wont stop you pci and agp from freaking out ..

Well my PCI and AGP freacking out will be caused by higher a fsb. At 147fsb they are stable. I want to try the wire mod and just increase the multiplier.

is your cpu superlocked? that would be awesome if you could unlock the multi on a superlocked barton :) give it a shot and let us know how it works

rocessor: AMD AthlonXP (Thoroughbred 'B') Version: 1.14
I made sure to buy a t-bred for overclockability, really didn't care bout the extra chache. But all that is history, were now up to what? 4000 FX? Oops were not cause the cpu companies hit a wall hehe.

You must have a TBred B XP2400+ if your multiplier is 15 - stock for the TBred XP 2600+ is 12.5). Some TBreds are locked - and it's not a good sign that you haven't been able to change the multiplier from 15. Anyway if it is locked you won't be able to to a pin mod for lower multis (which you need to run at FSB166/333 - 15 is just too strong, that would be almost 2.5GHz).

Edit: 147x15 really is pretty good for this combination! Maybe best to stay put until you can really upgrade...

Last edited:
ok one more time:
CPU Vendor: AuthenticAMD Platform: Socket A (Socket 462)
Processor: AMD AthlonXP (Thoroughbred 'B') Version: 1.14
CPU Type: Original OEM processor
Name String: AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2600+

XP 2600+, I ordered from newegg.
Yes, Default my mobo loads like 1660mhz which is 133*12.5, but I can change it to 15 to get 2 ghz. Leme check again...

OK very wierd, Went itno bios, says manual, 2133mhz or 1600mhz, ie 16x133 or 16x100.
1600x100 will boot (im in it) cpuid still says xp2600, 1600x133 will not boot. Manual, I can only use 15xanything under 148. Can I belocked at only 15/16? If im 15x147 now which is 2.2 ghz it should work with 16x133=2128 mhz. So maby my mobo cookoo or your incorrect?

I wasn't incorrect. You said your multiplier was 15 so I pointed out that the TBred XP2600+ has a multiplier of 12.5 and the XP2400+, 15. Now you say you can change it and if that's the case, it probably is a fully unlocked TBred XP2600+ and you can test higher multipliers if your board won't go higher than 147. There is no such thing as being locked at 15 and 16 especially when your CPU should have a default multi of 12.5. Just do a lot of reading (stickies, etc.) and you'll be fine.

They never maid an 2600+ tbred only a 2700+ tbred...the only 2600+ i thought was a barton...maybe not though...also why did you just not get a mobile 2600+ barton?

Actually, there are two versions:
AXDA2600DKV3D XP2600+ 2083MHz 12.5x FSB333MHz is a TBredB
AXDA2600DKV4D XP2600+ 1917MHz 11.5x FSB333MHz is a Barton

update

I removed the sink to start using the pin-mode guide. I saw I did somekind of pencil thing so I might have unlocked those two multipliers.
Anywho, putting the small hd wires into the socket was a pain in the *** but using the guide on http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html to just change the vcore to 1.75v but my bios shows 1.85-7v now, hey I'm happy. Im able to use all multipliers now too. I'm at:

CPU Speed: 2295.00MHz
CPU Multiplier: x 17.0
CPU FSB Speed: 135.00MHz
Bus Speed: 270.00 (DDR)
Idle: 47C but I need more silver thermal grease cause I ran out and dint re apply...I know that's a no no here.
So 100mhz increase from what I hade before (147x15=2200mhz) But a 24mhz decrease in DDR ram performance (147x2=294-270=24) I can do a benchmark to see which is better but im sure the 100mhz increase is better, right?

I tried 140x17=2380 but I got blue screen on windows, so I'm guessing if it was able to go that far im getting errors caused by skipping or what's it called cause of low vcore? Any suggestions?
P.S for overclocking, do I need to leave cpu cache ECC on? Because I need more performance for gaming.

Thank you.

Back