• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5E-Deluxe X48 or Gigabyte GA-x48-DS4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
SuperSaiyan is there any other reason why you would rather get the Rampage if all you need to do with the P5E-Deluxe is just get different ram?

Rampage is nearly a $300 board. That's very pricy considering the CPU's fitted for this board will only go as high as the Penryn and nothing further.

I should have splurged to begin with on the better board. I want one that has a proven track record and ASUS support has been "less-than-stellar" regarding this board. When I call them and ask questions, they defer me to the X38 based P5E board and indicate they have no plans yet on a BIOS update. Besides, the optical output was DOA and none of the onboard power connectors for case fans work.

This was to be my last major upgrade for the next 3-5 years...with the exception of a Crossfire setup this winter/early spring. I have no plans on needing anything beyond a Penryn. I will most likely skip Nahelem and wait for the next "big thing". I did the same with dual core processors. I had a 3.4GHz P4 EE for years (back when they were $1500+) and then straight to my Q6600.

If quality comes at a price of $280+ just for the board itself in order to get a quality board with Cross Fire then I would rather just get the P5Q which is $60 cheaper and put the $60 towards the 4870x2 instead. I've only heard good things about the P5Q minus the ability to have 2 true 16x lanes. The 4870x2 is overall cheaper than 2 4870's as well.

well, I was just giving you my experience with the board. You didn't meantion the P5Q...are you considering that one also?

What video card are you using...or are you looking to get one? I've not done much research on video cards yet, since I'm not yet in the market for a new one. My 675mhz 8800GT works just fine for me at the moment.

Im looking to do a whole system upgrade being the P5Q with a 4870x2 or 4850x2 now that I'm finding out that any true dual 16x mobo that's of quality is going to cost a pretty penny.

So many negatives towards the P5E deluxe and the fact that they stopped supporting bios updates kind of tells me that they don't care about it anymore. The Gigabit board GA-x48-DS4 doesn't seemed to be praised either.

Perhaps there are some x38 contenders that are still being sold today like the Quadx38GT Abit? How would this board be for ocing a quad?

Not really sure about the ABIT and it's OCing abilities, that's why I went with a proven board like the Rampage. Proven track record, proven quality, great support, lots of information on forums, etc. I have an ABIT board but it's an old 850 chipset for P4/Rambus. Still working in my backup PC.....Great board!

It seems the old mantra seems true still "if you want to play, you have to pay"! Believe me when I say that my butthole clenches up when I think about paying $300+ for a motherboard, but what gets me through throwing down the $$$ is the fact that it WILL BE WORTH it in the long run.

I just find it silly to pay $280+ for a board at this point when considering Nehalem is right around the corner. I can understand the investment if Nehalem was out mainstream wise now because you would be able to use the newer stepping Nehalem CPU's if you wanted to later on after the first steppings were released and whatever afterwords like the Conroe to the Penryn since they will still be the same socket unlike the current Penryn which has no other 775 successors. However that is currently not the case and won't be till another year since I'm sure it will be delayed Q1 next year just like the Penryn. Perhaps if you are an enthusiast that has alot of money to spend for the best of the best and not really care about longevity since you would eventually upgrade again once Nehalem is released.

This is why I said that I have my eyes on the P5Q-Deluxe since it's gotten nothing but, good reviews one after the other using the new P45 chipset. It doesn't have the majority of bells and whistles like the Rampage or Maximus nor 2 true 16x lanes like them but, it is a solid board that has excellent compatibility with many ram chips and oc's very very well. I will just use the 4870x2 in that instead of CF'ing 2 4870's.

The only reason for me looking at a x48/x38 is simply for a CF solution and as it stands, CF'ing 2 4870's is $100 more than 1 4870x2 plus the fact that the only stable Dual Lane 16x boards are $280+ then that becomes an overly expense than the $220 P5Q-Deluxe + $500 for the 4870x2.

Last edited:
I definitely see your point. I guess my suggestion is to get whatever suits your needs and your wallet best. If you don't plan on upgrading for a while, just get something cheap that will get you by. Maybe consider a p35 board or something.

P35 would be a budget system nowdays. Doesn't even support PCI-E 2.0 for possible requirement of newer cards in the future.

I do plan on keeping my system for a long time and I don't want to get low budget hardware. I only buy quality stuff and the P45 is deffinently not low budget by any means. Infact it has better solid capacitors than the X48. It just doesn't support dual 16x lanes. I don't need the extra bells and whistles.

I just checked out everywhere... its only $10 less than the Rampage. No sites I have found have it cheaper than whats on ZipZoom.

where could you get a backplate for it?

Also an Open Box means that it could have been used and abused then returned back. Who knows how much abuse it went through. Also you don't get the LCD screen or the extra audio thingy... just the mobo.

Any reason why you specifically want a X38/X48, the P45 is really a great board and the dual x 8 lanes do not hamper CF for res 1920x1200 and under. Much cheaper and clock quads better as well...also runs cooler :D

It does hamper performance on dual 8x lanes in games ever so slightly even at low res. I'm not at all concerned about the performance in 3dmark or the sort, just games. They reflect a different story to the tale.

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1472/7/intel_p45_vs_x48_crossfire_performance/index.html

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=761&p=2

Whatever the oddball reason tweaktown is showing drastic difference is a mystery to me. However it could be legionhardware that may not be conducting a proper test to show a difference since they don't go in debth to how they test.

You would need to have 2 4850's and 2 4870's and conduct a test yourself in order to accurately come up with the proper conclusion to say that it doesn't hinder performance on dual 8x lanes since I'm looking to invest in 2 4870's which is more demanding than 4850's.

Hey guys,

If you haven't purchased any board yet. Just wait another day, I'm getting the P5E Deluxe X48 tomorrow.

So I'll put some tests on here for you if you wish.

Here is my system:
Intel C2D E8400
P5E Deluxe
2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 - 800Mhz
2 x HD4850 512MB

The P5E Deluxe is a Rampage Formula, Like the P5E X38 is a Maximus Formula but both P5E / P5E Deluxe lost some features like the second RJ45 Ethernet Port.

P5E Deluxe is a new board so we will have to wait for Asus to show us a new Bios to fix the problems if there is any. But I'm not afraid of the board since it comes from the Rampage Formula.

I'll post more tomorrow.

My second choice was the GA-X48-DS4 which was 10$ more so if I don't find the Asus P5E Deluxe good, I'll be testing the Gigabyte.

Hey guys, I'm back with some comments.

I don't have any problem with my S/PDIF Optical Out. It runs perfectly for me !

The CPU E8400 on stock fan is running at 32°C and System at 28°C so I think its a pretty good temp.

The Bios is amazing, If you are a overclocker you will have plenty of options. I didnt took time to test them.

The installation went perflectly, booted the first time. I didn't had problems with the Ram. But I would stick with DDR2-800Mhz because of the known problems with DDR2-1066 with the board. But its only question of voltage and Bios Settings.

The board has no new bios yet so we are all running on the first release.

For gaming everything is great on this board, even the AI Gear3+, I dont like to use the board utilities that comes with the DVD but wow it is a great tool. Let's you overclock or downclock the CPU and it shows a energy status bar. If you downclock you safe alot of energy and if you want to play a intensive game you can push it all the way up and its safe. At Turbo Mode it raises the FSB to 1400mhz instead of 1333 which gives me a gain of ~160mhz. Its a cool options if you need a little gain without going into Bios and testing.

Runs so well with my 8800GT nice board, I can't wait to test why the HD4850 in Crossfire the second one should be here soon.

Pros :
- Great Board / Pretty Fast
- Maximus Formula PCB with X48 Chipset
- Crossfire @ X16
- Supreme FX II PCI-E Audio Card
- Good board for Overclocking

Cons :
- P5E Deluxe Package Ordinary
- Lack of Space for the CPU Fan. If you are going to overclock get something similar the size of the Stock Fan.

Back