• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BD7 no longer OCs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dek

Registered
Joined
Oct 31, 2002
Location
Portland, OR
So here's the thing... For about 5 months or so I have been playing happily with a decently overclocked BD7 RAID. What I have on it is a 1.6 Northwood, 512MB PC2700 DDR, Gf4 Ti4200, and 2 Seagate 60Gb Barracuda IV HDs. It has been running great at 140Mhz FSB giving me a comfortable 2.24GHz CPU speed. This is with stock voltages and the retail HS and fan for the CPU.

A few days ago I pulled out the CPU to try it in another box that was having some problems. When I released the tabs on the HS and pulled it out the CPU came with it, stuck to it. I visually inspected both the CPU and the MB and neither looked damaged even though the CPU was yanked out without releasing the lever on the ZIF socket.

When I put everything back together and booted up I got a message during POST that the CPU had changed or was not functioning. I checked all of the CMOS settings and rebooted. This time I got a checksum error. I clocked it down to 120mhz FSB and this time got almost into W2k and then got an error referencing ACPI support in the BIOS (don't remember exact message). When I clock it back down to 100 or 110Mhz FSB everything seems to work just fine, anything higher causes problems.

I know the CPU is ok because I tried it at 140Mhz on a friend's BD7II. It seems to me that I damaged something on the MB when I pulled the CPU out. What's wierd is that I'm not having anything go wrong when I run at lower bus speeds. I would think that if physical damage has caused it to not boot at 120Mhz, I should at least be having some problems at 110.

Can anyone tell me if I am overlooking something? If it is because I damaged the ZIF socket are there any ideas on undoing this damage?

Also, I guess I can pass along to everyone that they should BE CAREFUL when removing a P4 with a retail HS. I'm probably not the only one who has had their's get stuck.
 
OP
D

dek

Registered
Joined
Oct 31, 2002
Location
Portland, OR
I haven't tried that yet. The only memory setting I messed with is the ratio (tried 3:4 then back to 1:1). I will try that when I get home tonight.

Thanks.
 
OP
D

dek

Registered
Joined
Oct 31, 2002
Location
Portland, OR
Well that seemed to work. The settings were 2,5,2,2. I dropped them down to 2,5,3,3 and I am back up to speed. I wonder why the faster settings no longer work? Here's another strange thing though, before, when I had the faster settings, audio files played really fast (about twice normal speed) on my W2K partition but would play normally on my ME partition. Now that I have dropped the memory settings both partitions are playing audio normally.

Anyway, thanks very much for the help.
 

nodsetse

Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2002
Location
San Diego, CA, USA
dek said:
I wonder why the faster settings no longer work?
Could be that your DIMM is going bad, as that happened to me with the BD7 and Samsung PC2700. For months I was able to use the 3:4 ratio and run it at 200MHz/DDR400 (>3000MB/sec, per Sandra), then suddenly it no longer worked. I backed it down to 1:1 for 150MHz/DDR300, set the fast timings at 2-5-2-2, and was fine for another month. The system again started to get unstable, so I had to use the slower settings of 2.5-6-3-3. Then I ran a Sandra memory benchmark and found I was only getting ~1700MB/sec bandwidth, instead of 2300 as that speed should provide. Popped in some Crucial PC2100 and the performance was just what you'd expect, back to around 2300. Of course your memory may be fine, but it's something to consider so you might want to check it out. ;)