• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build Help for Gaming (and Streaming?) on Ultrawide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Can a high-end air cooler like a Be Quiet / Noctua handle an i7 up around 4.5+GHz, or do you more or less need water cooling to OC an i7 much?

Thanks for the info so far on the PSU's / necessary power connectors. So if I wanted to (hypothetically) run SLI 980s or whatever, I would need 5 PCI-E connectors. I will keep that in mind. And Seasonic is definitely my favorite brand of PSU. I had a Platinum 760W in my last build. I was just looking for the most affordable Corsair/EVGA/Seasonic with enough PCI-E connectors.

:)

And relative air temps. You rocking A/C all summer long, or cracking the window open to let the cooler outside 90F+ temps into a 100F room?

My apartment will have A/C running whenever it gets above 75-80F if the PC is running.

Put together a slightly different build. i7 on this one, with a 970 that only uses a single 8-pin. And a Seasonic PSU with 2 8-pins and a 6-pin, so all the connectors I would need to upgrade to SLI, or to a beefier single GPU. Plus went with the Cooler Master CPU Cooler and Silencio case, so it should be extremely quiet, and I don't have to spend money on all the flashy LED fans and whatnot.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 120XL 76.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: EVGA Z97 FTW ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $80.00)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($177.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($328.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master Silencio 652S ATX Mid Tower Case ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1206.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-23 08:08 EDT-0400

My apartment will have A/C running whenever it gets above 75-80F if the PC is running.

Put together a slightly different build. i7 on this one, with a 970 that only uses a single 8-pin. And a Seasonic PSU with 2 8-pins and a 6-pin, so all the connectors I would need to upgrade to SLI, or to a beefier single GPU. Plus went with the Cooler Master CPU Cooler and Silencio case, so it should be extremely quiet, and I don't have to spend money on all the flashy LED fans and whatnot.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 120XL 76.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: EVGA Z97 FTW ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $80.00)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($177.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($328.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master Silencio 652S ATX Mid Tower Case ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1206.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-23 08:08 EDT-0400

$1,200 - Wow that is impressive. I've seen the EVGA power supplies on sale at the egg. Hard drive maybe? You need another drive and maybe a DVD for twenty bills or so?

How was the weather? Everyone alright?

1. The lightning was INSANE! It was like a strobe light outside. Lost power for maybe 10 minutes, but thankfully no flooding or anything at my house.
2. I have never ended up using more than 500GB of storage on any of my PCs. I have a Macbook Pro with a 1TB in it, so I can host media off of that. I imagine that 500GB will last me quite a while, and I can worry about a larger storage drive later. I guess once I start with the recording / streaming, it will start to take up storage space pretty quickly, so that might be on the short list of upgrades after I start using it. I just want something fast and functional first off.
3. The Macbook also has an optical drive for ripping/playing media, and I end up installing Windows or Linux off a thumb drive more often than anything else.
4. The EVGA GS550 would be slightly cheaper, too. Guess it's a personal preference thing yet again, but EVGA is definitely the price-performance leader in PSUs, it seems.

Hope you guys are safe and OK, too. Thanks for the advice again. :)

Back