• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did G4's REALLY stink?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sappo

I once read that G4 literally stink when they are first used. You may have thought it was just their scalability that did (sorry, couldn't resist). Can anyone out there attest to this?

I'm probably barking up the wrong tree here. I wonder how many people here have actually touched a G4 CPU before, let alone smelled one. But what the heck.

I have A dual G4 500 that I have had for about 6 years now, and it is happily serving up web pages and cranking out tunes in my living room withh its sweet sounding harmon kardon speakers. I never noticed any smellwhen I first got it, and as far as stinking comp wise, it runs OSX very smoothly although I dont do any intensive work on it.

hafa said:
The G4 I use for testing applications has never had a bad smell. but then again, it only runs about 3 hours per month.
hafa bro? where are you from? saipan? rota?

I might understand what u are talking about. After i built my last rig it had a smell for the first 3 weeks. A lot of it was the fresh silicon that I received straight from the factory cross-shipoed from newegg.

sappo said:
I once read that G4 literally stink when they are first used. You may have thought it was just their scalability that did (sorry, couldn't resist). Can anyone out there attest to this?

I'm probably barking up the wrong tree here. I wonder how many people here have actually touched a G4 CPU before, let alone smelled one. But what the heck.

Love my 1.42 GHz Dual processor -- never crashes and quite fast with 2G of RAM. Much more refined than any PC but more expensive too.

if i had the cash to build a PC with dual 1.4's and 2 gigs of ram, it would run smooth too. would also cost less, and do more :)

yeah, i'd have to say maybe the TIM, or maybe its just a rumour some kid started. never know, but i havnt touched a mac since back in the days of 7th grade.

nope

Como said:
if i had the cash to build a PC with dual 1.4's and 2 gigs of ram, it would run smooth too. would also cost less, and do more :)

yeah, i'd have to say maybe the TIM, or maybe its just a rumour some kid started. never know, but i havnt touched a mac since back in the days of 7th grade.

not a duallie -- more $$ -- but you could put Darwin on it ! :)

You forgot why his G4 is more stable Como, its running Mac OS X. Put Darwin, Linux, or BSD on there & you'll be right on the stability but then you're "do more" comment wouldn't apply that well since Mac OS X runs 99% of the *Nix apps out there under X11 [ Also Virtual PC & Bachs work (also a Mac OS X version of Wine is being made) with 99% of the Windows apps out there much like Wine & VM Ware does on the Linux side (but why would anyone want to do that!?)] & runs Mac OS 9 & Mac OS X Applications.

Heh, maybe something crawled into the pc.

Personaly I hate macs, because I grew up using the worst god damn mac, a performa 600. For the things I use my pc for, I dont think I could ever switch to a mac. Macs just seem way to annoying, and plus photoshop isnt a game ;).

Back