• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you guys actually burn CD/DVD/BDs nowadays?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I only burn stuff to disk to archive things nowadays. Which reminds me that I need to get the last year or so of new pictures on disk. I also have my ~ 30 GB of music backed up in case of a catastrophic drive loss. Anyone paying attention to the recent upswing in solar storm activity knows that the odds of a major EMP event happening in our lifetimes is a distinct possibility, and aside from preparing for the meltdown of society following such an event :chair: , you should also have important files backed up on non-magnetic media.

I guess it is the old Boyscout in me: Be Prepared.

Anyone paying attention to the recent upswing in solar storm activity knows that the odds of a major EMP event happening in our lifetimes is a distinct possibility, and aside from preparing for the meltdown of society following such an event :chair: , you should also have important files backed up on non-magnetic media.

The world will end on December 21, so why bother.

The Powers That Be are certainly going to extreme lengths to make the masses believe this. Turn on the TV and what you have these days is hundreds of channels of "predictive programming" centering around an upcoming cataclysm . My guess is that either A: There really is something bad heading our way and "they" are trying to program people with instructions as to what to do when it happens (hide in your house and let Big Brother handle it), or B: "They" are taking advantage of the Mayan EOTWAWKI prophecy and will produce a cataclysm (or thwart one) of their own making to complete the absolute takeover of society. Scaring citizens with an external threat to attain absolute control has been used over and over throughout history. The ultimate external threat would of course be extra-terrestrial in nature, either a natural threat (asteroid) or contact with another civilization. If either of these threats come to fruition between now and the end of the year, be suspicious. The ability and desire to hoax or capitalize on either of these threats is very real. Interesting times lay ahead.

Just because one cultures calander ends on that day, doesnt mean squat.

Ill be waiting to still be alive on Dec 22 2012 :popcorn:

You know how many times someone said either the end of the earth was going to happen or something very bad was going to happen already.. More than I can count on both hands. :screwy:

Just because one cultures calander ends on that day, doesnt mean squat.

Ill be waiting to still be alive on Dec 22 2012 :popcorn:

You know how many times someone said either the end of the earth was going to happen or something very bad was going to happen already.. More than I can count on both hands. :screwy:

what about... 12-12-12 oooooooh :clap:

It doesn't even end, it just adds a digit.
Like going from year 999 to year 1000.

I use it for burning bootable media once in a while or an OS disc, but rarely do I backup anything to DVD/CD anymore...

I do, I use it for burning OS disks. DVDs, though many of them would fit on a CD.
I last used mine for burning a linux mint 13 disk.

Exact same thing my last burn was for. But I've got it on an 8GiB Axle I picked up for $8; I only burned it because I gave it to my son for an auxillary build (he's going all distro on us).

For my machines I don't even have optical drives anymore. I took out floppy drive before most people did, and now doing the same for optical :D.

I don't trust hdd's, flash drives etc, for my only copy of stuff I have collected over the years.
I would trust HDDs over optical discs. I've had hard drives that still work fine from 15 years ago. And a lot of CDs (DVDs should be even worse due to higher density) gone totally unreadable in 5 years.

When I found out about YUMI from Thideras, that pretty much eradicated my need for optical disks. Multiboot USBs are amazing.

Yes, YUMI is a fantastic piece of software and I think we all owe thideras that.

The only thing that'd be better than YUMI would be an EFI bootable USB multiboot drive. I might hack something with GRUB2...

I just burned CD to make BIOS recovery on older board. I think it's 1st CD at home this year ;) ... At work I'm making mainly DVDs from ISO that are on MS/MSDN sites.

Back