• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Intel i5 2500k Overclocking help needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twitchy

Registered
Hey all OC's out there!

I have been thinking about Overclocking my computer for a while now but I'm to scared. I have been reading a lot about 'How to OC your 2500K' but I don't get that far. I want a safe and stable OC, around 4.2 - 4.5 GHz. I found some tutorials and guides out there but all of them tells me different stuff, it confuses me. I have been around computers all my life and I'm learning stuff every day. But when it comes to this i'm to scared, I tried one time and failed BIG TIME. Got blue-screen and I could not fix it. So I re-installed my computer and 4 months later I'm up for the challenge again. I will give all my specs and other useful stuff.

What I need to know from you guys/girls out there is what is a safe OC? How do I do it, step by step? Really need to learn this from you.

CPU: Intel i5 2500k 3.3 GHz + Scythe Mügen III cooler
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 570 (Stock)
RAM: Corsair 2X4GB (8GB) 1600 Mhz (9-9-9-24, 1.65V)
Motherboard: MSI P67A-C45 (Latest BIOS version 1.J0)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus

I have no dust in my computer, clean it once a month.

My temps ATM:

Idle: 23-33 C
Load: 51 C MAX with 100% stress from Prime95(x64) for 8 hours.

I hope this information helps, cheers!

______
Twitchy

Last edited:
For your load temp, how long did you run Prime95? You should let it go for at least an hour to check temps (the longer, the better). If that temp you listed is your true max, then you have quite a bit of room to work with.

This seems like a fine guide to work from: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/07/how-to-overclock-the-intel-core-i5-2500k/1
(Just follow the MSI part which is on the 4th page)

The basic principle is:
1) Bump up the multiplier in small increments (you can probably start at 36-37 and then increment by 1 from there).
2) Test stability. Note temps.
3) If unstable, add a little VCore (0.01 increments?)
4) Test stability. If unstable, go back to step 3. Note temps.
5) If temps are getting within 10-15(ish) degress of TJMax, stop.
6) Congrats, you have the overclock you want!

You can also lower the VCore if you are stable at the overclock you want to see if you can reduce your temps.

Hey man!

First, thanks for taking your time to read and answer my post.

Second, I ran Prime95 for about 2.5-3 hours. Highest temp on core was 47 C. UPDATE: I ran Prime95 for 8 hours to night and the maximum core temp is 51 C, STOCK.

That guide you linked is exactly the one I failed on when I tried my self for a while ago. I don't know what I did wrong but I went for 4.5 GHz then. I will follow those steps you wrote, It will work, I'm sure but that's not all I need to know. You see, I want a more precisely, well stepped guide. Just like yours, but more information, more exact changes and more precisely 'How much and where to change all settings' if you understand. Want like a FAIL-report if you know what I mean, like 'Known issues and what NOT to do-list'.

My MAIN problem is that the most tutorials or guides out there is on the MSI P67A-GD55 and not the one I have (P67A-C45). The BIOS options don't look the same and that confuses me. Or I'm maybe an idiot but I see differences between the GD55 and C45, that cause my main problem I think. Because if it don't look the same I'm afraid to do wrong I think.

But a BIG thanks for your time, will try it out some day when I have read more and got some more answers.

Cheers dude!

______
Twitchy

Last edited:
Hey

I have finally done the overclocking and it seems to be stable. I clocked it to 4.5 GHz, followed that guide in the previous post. I ran Prime95 for 2 hours and the max core don't go over 70 C. In Intel Burn test in 10 stages(Maximum) it goes up to 72 C. I think that is pretty okey. My Core volt in 100% stress is on 1.302. I hope that is okey too.

Thanks for all the help and see you in further posts!

Cheers!

______
Twitchy

The i5 2500K rocks. Mine hits 4.5GHz with 1.275v and 5GHz with 1.45v You don't need anything over 4.5GHz anyhow. Congratulations!:drool:

Hey!
Ye, the Intel i5 2500K kicks ***! Its the far best processor I have bought. Thanks!

Back