• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just getting started

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

plbowler

I'll be getting an AMD XP 1600 soon to replace my (don't laugh) Celeron 366. I'm looking at this MoBo. But I'm not set on anything

ECS K7S5A SiS® 735 SOCKET A MOTHERBOARD

What do you guys think.

It has DIMMs for PC133 RAM and DDR. I have 384 MEGS of PC133 ram that I just can't waste. I was thinking of using the PC133 for now and upgrading to DDR AFTER I get a Killer Video Card. (Radeon 8900?).

does this Board Overclock?

also, any suggestions on Power supply.

AMD Athalon XP 1600
384MEG PC133 RAM
52x CD rom
Sony 32x CDRW
On Board Sound (For now)
PCI TNT Riva M64 32Meg viseo card (OC'd to 140Mhz) (for now).
Crap Toshiba Monitor

I'd like to Overclock and I don't think that MoBo allows overclocking too well. any suggestions?

i've used that ECS board in a number of low cost systems for clients, and while its not going to break any speed records, its a very nice board, for VERY little money. also it appears that you are on a tight budget, and using your current SDRAM will definately help keep your costs down.

that mobo actually does have SOME overclocking abilities, but not out of the box, you need to use a special bios with it, and change some things. see the sticky in the ECS section of this board for more info on that.

as for your powers supply any AMD approved 300w should be sufficient, but if you plan on getting that killar video card, or adding alot of fans, more drives, etc. i'd suggest you look into some of the Sparkle power supplies, great bang for the buck units, they put out great voltages.

i'm not sure where you live, but if you're in the states, definately check out www.pricwatch.com, for the lowest prices on components, but do be sure to check on vendors with www.resellerratings.com to make sure they're to be trusted with your cash!

some of my most frequently used vendors are:

www.newegg.com
www.mwave.com
www.nutrend.com
www.compgeeks.com
www.directron.com

and theres many many more... that reseller site has a top 10 list, any vendor with a reasonably decent rating should be ok to order with. good luck with your purchases, let me know if you need anymore help.

John

Thank you very much mr. chambers. Your one of the few people to NOT say. GET DDR RAM OR DON:T BOTHER, GET THE KT333 (whatever)... I appreciate it. I'm all over newegg.com
I'll check out the rest.

Looks like I'll get to the XP 1600 system for UNDER $150 including tax (tax?, what tax?) and shippping.

CAN't BEAT THAT

I just had another thought. Maybe I should just skip the DDR for now altogether. Do you (or anyone) have any suggestions on good overclocking boards for an Athalon XP 1600 that uses PC133 RAM (again, I have @ 512MEG in various amounts). That wayi can just get a PURE DDR board when its time to make the move to DDR, which will be quite a while.

nice board

I'm using that board.. It is rock stable.. It did have a problem with a different setup I had (Don't remember the specs) but with my current setup, it works great. Its stable...Fairly inexpensive.. and it has onboard Nic (that was a plus for me, as It upgraded my OLD ISA (yes, those old things) network card...

nice board and it looks pretty for that window mod you will be putting in later and showing off with a CC and LED fan. :)

I'm going to try my hand at the bios "update" and see how it goes.

There is also another program that is mentioned in the ECS thread (sticky at the top) that you just use a boot disk to set the FSB speed.... Might want to try that, as you don't have to worry about messing up your board..

Good luck and post results or questions... we'd be glad to help ya.

Thanks, I'm still wrestling with the Idea of skipping theDDR from now and getting a better (?) MoBo. I don't know if thats even practicle. I'm gonna start another thread with just that topic....

Oh, and how doe sthat Athalon XP 2000 run with the PC133 Ram?, any thoughs on upgrading your ram to DDR?

Be Seeing you...

Back