• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Marathon SIII: November HWBOT Prime.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Scout / X5650 / H20 / 6790.91

attachment.php

Last edited:
Not much difference. This thing hit a voltage wall and made me stop at 1.65v and 5.2Ghz in a couple of benchmarks. MEH. Missed this save at hwbot so I only have a screenshot...

Earthdog / 5820K / 7768 / LN2
hwbtprm51ghz776825.jpg

I've noticed almost the same testing on water and ss. Max on water about 4.75GHz. Max on SS 4.95GHz. Temps were not too high and everything else was fine. It just hit a wall and that's all. Higher voltages etc helped only to degrade my CPU.
Most LN2/Cascade results are not much higher than 5GHz.
I don't know if there will be new stepping soon but 5820K that we have right now are really bad for OC. Something like bad batches of 4770K but these were at least running higher on cold.

Nice runs guys, first post updated.

I've noticed almost the same testing on water and ss. Max on water about 4.75GHz. Max on SS 4.95GHz. Temps were not too high and everything else was fine. It just hit a wall and that's all. Higher voltages etc helped only to degrade my CPU.
Most LN2/Cascade results are not much higher than 5GHz.
I don't know if there will be new stepping soon but 5820K that we have right now are really bad for OC. Something like bad batches of 4770K but these were at least running higher on cold.

Hmmm.... the 5960x chips seem to scale a little with voltage, TBH taking it easy on it so hopefully it lasts

1.65 is good up to 5450 and 1.725 is good for 5750 on cold

Nice run EarthDog :)

The highest I ran into at the bot was around 1.65v for the 5820K so I stayed put there and let it take me where it may which was around 5.2GHz in some tests.

I haven't look either... no idea. The highest 5820K at the bot was 5.7GHz... with Prime runs at 5.3Ghz...

I saw that some 5820K can make something like 4.8GHz 1.3V but most of them need 1.35-1.4V for 4.5GHz. I bet that these single good chips are running on LN2 @5.7GHz+ while most others are barely reaching 5.2GHz.
5930K seem slightly better but not much. 5960X are generally better on cold but on air/water is the same as with 6 cores. What is interesting is that average temps for all these CPUs are about the same regardless if it's 6 or 8 core and how much cache it has. I mean +/- the same clock is possible without overheating on most of them at similar voltage.

I was counting that Xeons will have 125/167 straps but I guess they're locked as even good overclockers were posting results at 100-104MHz bclk. E5 2630 v3 would be good option if higher bclk was possible.

I made max 5053MHz on SS :-/ http://valid.canardpc.com/pkdgy0
~1.6V but higher didn't help at all. The same 2 or 6 cores didn't change anything and I was checking single cores too.
I can even run on water at 1.55V+ in most tests without issues what wasn't possible on 4770K.

Back