• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New 2.4C for the bat computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I tried 2.5,7,3,3 memory timings with 2.8v. I can't imagine it would be the memory when it runs stable using 2,5,3,2 with 2.7v at 275 FSB and then unstable at 276 using more voltage and relaxed timings. While sitting here at work, I realized I didn't try the most relaxed settings of 3,9,4,4, which I'll try when I get home, but I bet that don't help either. I could try one RAM stick for single channel I guess.

The CPU was rock stable at 260 FSB on default voltage. It was running ok at 1.6v at 275 FSB, but I gave it 1.625v for the benchmarks, just to be sure. Performance mode has been disabled the whole time. I have the PCI/AGP fixed of course. I'm using the 800 strap with 5:4 mem ratio (3:2 ratio don't seem to work above 3 gig). I've tried increasing the AGP voltage like Hipro suggested. I've tried everything in the advance menu on auto.

It must be the mobo. I had guessed early on that the 2.6C would probably be the best CPU for the IC7 and it looks like I might be right. Thought about pulling the northbridge sink off and lapping it, then reinstalling with AS3, but it seems quite cool. System load temp was about 30-32 degrees which seems really good to me.

About the only thing left to try is a fresh Windows install. I had lots of vid card driver trouble lately, so my operating system might be trashed. I never was clear about whether HT works with Win98 SE, but I'm guessing it don't. Looks like it's time to try Win2000 on my new Raptors this weekend. I know Win2000 supports the HT.

batboy said:

I never was clear about whether HT works with Win98 SE, but I'm guessing it don't. Looks like it's time to try Win2000 on my new Raptors this weekend. I know Win2000 supports the HT.

I don't see how win98 could support ht, as it would have to support dual processors. :)

nice job there batboy! mine's hitting a limit at about 261 FSB, but I'm leaving it at stock voltage for now since it's beginning to get quite warm in the apartment..

I think my memory is limiting me though, it's at 418 right now..

here's a picture of how everything looks...

Batboy, why you going to win2k? Isnt Xp better fro Hyper Threading?

Ohh and has anyone pushed the 3.0C above and beyond with the IC7? My IT7 is crapping out at 220 :D

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!

Can I paint his mobo GUOLLLLLDDDDDD!??!?!?!?!?

Kammember

kamilkluczewski said:
Batboy, why you going to win2k? Isnt Xp better fro Hyper Threading?

Ohh and has anyone pushed the 3.0C above and beyond with the IC7? My IT7 is crapping out at 220 :D

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!

Can I paint his mobo GUOLLLLLDDDDDD!??!?!?!?!?

Kammember
yeah and xp pro is better for gaming :D

Ec]-[oMaN

Represent my Canadian brother represent!

I just bought the 3.0C at canadacomputers at the Pacific Mall but no one here has the IC7-G :mad:

Sometimes this land has its disadvanatages for us OC addicts :D

Kam

Gawd.... you couldn't pay me enough to use XP. I really hate leaving 98SE, that's the best gaming OS.

You mean why I don't like it other than it being an inefficient OS with a bloated programing code and that Microsoft forces you to reauthenticate it everytime you upgrade?

Well, I got Windows 2000 Professional installed and the fresh reformat really helped my CPU benchies. Hard to believe there is that big of a difference. Guess I owe AZN an apology, thought maybe he was trying to pull a joke on me or something. The bad news is I can't overclock even 1 MHz higher than I already did. The good news is that with Win2000, I now have hyperthreading and my Sandra is finally showing the comparison CPUs.

2400C-3300-CPU-2.jpg

batboy said:
Well, I got Windows 2000 Professional installed and the fresh reformat really helped my CPU benchies. Hard to believe there is that big of a difference. Guess I owe AZN an apology, thought maybe he was trying to pull a joke on me or something. The bad news is I can't overclock even 1 MHz higher than I already did. The good news is that with Win2000, I now have hyperthreading and my Sandra is finally showing the comparison CPUs.

2400C-3300-CPU-2.jpg

You have Hyperthreading with Win2K Pro? Are you sure? I thought it was XP or Win2K server only...

Win2K cannot tell the difference between virtual and physical CPU's so it will see 2 physical CPU's in the case of a HT P4 (2 cpu's is the max for 2KPro's license). The problem begins when you try to use 2x Xeons with 2KPro....it then looks like 4 physical procs so won't work correctly requiring you to install XP Pro or 2KServer (8 CPU's IIRC).

theotherphil said:
Win2K cannot tell the difference between virtual and physical CPU's so it will see 2 physical CPU's in the case of a HT P4 (2 cpu's is the max for 2KPro's license). The problem begins when you try to use 2x Xeons with 2KPro....it then looks like 4 physical procs so won't work correctly requiring you to install XP Pro or 2KServer (8 CPU's IIRC).

But in the end it will work fine with a single HT P4? OMG I just assumed it would not work and never bothered to reinstall my Win2K, thinking I'd get XP soon enough. :eek:

//edit:// Just thought about why Intel would recommend not enabling HT in the BIOS with Win2k, and maybe the reason is that it will not yield a performance benefit in Win2K because it's not the same as loading 2 CPU's. Has anyone tried this and benched performance?

Last edited:
Actually, i've seen a few tests in a couple of magazines (I know how much you guyz hate magazine reviews, but they had no reason to lie!) that show evidence of a rather large drop in D3D peformance running just plain 'ol Windows XP 'without' SP1....

So i'd say they changed the code in SP1 to allow propper HT optimisation....And i'd take it for granted that Windows 2000 has no such optimisation....

Even under plain 'ol XP with no SP1 you still see 2 logical processors just like Windows 2000, but D3D peformance suffers.

Really, it ain't hard to turn all the 'bloatware' off, once this is done there's really no reason to run Win 2000.

batboy said:
You mean why I don't like it other than it being an inefficient OS with a bloated programing code and that Microsoft forces you to reauthenticate it everytime you upgrade?

resistance is futile. ;)

yes, xp might be bloated and somewhat over-intrusive at times, but the combination of stability and compatibility with both a wide range of software and hardware cannot be beat. batboy, you will be running xp at some point in time in the future. don't doggedly hold onto the past, when the future is now. you are handicapping your computers with your myopic stance against xp. :eek:

Fizz, Win2k Pro detects the 2nd logical CPU in CPU-Z where Win98SE had it grayed out. Lots of people with HT CPUs are using Win2k with no problems. To check performance, maybe I should do some benchies with HT and with HT disabled. What would be a good test, maybe CPU multimedia?

Ras, I hung onto Win98SE until last weekend, I bet I can cling to Win2k Pro for a long time too... hehehe. I have SP3 installed which solved most of the earlier compatibility issues. All current software supports Win2k. I even installed some old pre-Win2k games and programs which work just fine. I've had no trouble finding device drivers. Win2k is a well proven and extremely stable OS. I see no reason to deal with the hassles of XP (at least for the time being).

batboy said:
Fizz, Win2k Pro detects the 2nd logical CPU in CPU-Z where Win98SE had it grayed out. Lots of people with HT CPUs are using Win2k with no problems. To check performance, maybe I should do some benchies with HT and with HT disabled. What would be a good test, maybe CPU multimedia?

Yes but also some real life benchmark. Maybe UT2K3 at low res?

batboy said:

Ras, I hung onto Win98SE until last weekend, I bet I can cling to Win2k Pro for a long time too... hehehe.

i respect your position batboy. LOL! :D i had dinner with an IT friend of mine who would agree with you whole-heartedly. he grouses about the current "bloatware" out there, and without question prefers the leaner more simplistic software of the past. his opinion is if he can't get a 486 to run the program, the program is bloated and he's not interested in it. :D

personally, i can't get over how stable winXP is. it's hard to consider running those older operating systems once you have been spoiled by xp. plus, no self-respecting gamer or power user should consider anything less.

Back