• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Nvidia 1080 launch thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes chips are binned for factory overclocked cards but ordinary overclocked cards are only subjected to rudimentary testing. Manufacturers can't devote hours to extensive testing of each card and stay price competitive.

And yes, enthusiasts such as the members here can overclock vanilla video cards to similar levels as the pre-overclocked ones, but the vast majority of buyers simply run their GPUs at the out-of-the-box settings. So they will pay a premium for that if they want a slightly faster card.

And there will always be out-of-the-box failures for any video card since intensive testing is not done on each item. Standard manufacturing process for anything is to subject random samples for extensive test, not each one.

Yeah maybe I'm just super unlucky lol

So far I have had 2 bad ASUS 980ti's
And a bad corsair 760i.

Which I guess the psu could of always caused my issues but Idk it just seems unlikely to me that it would kill a gpu

Looking at average results on all GTX900 cards I can say that only EVGA Classifieds/KPE are really binned and have higher ASIC. All other cards have random ASIC. You can get everything regardless what series you buy.

Yeah that's totally how I feel. Only the kingpins seem like it to me. Hence the hefty premium.

Has anyone heard of a kingpin failing out of the box? Just curious.

But anyhow I never jumped on the ASIC hype bandwagon. I still just play the lotto on the golden chips.

OC are still all over despite ASIC scores. Just another marketing thing for the gpus to charge more money. Imho

High ASIC can overclock high to low and low ASIC can overclock high to low.

The only thing I see that is relative to ASIC is voltage..

I never heard of it, but I would bet money there is a DOA in every batch. It has NOTHING to do with binning...as much as you seem to want it to, LOL!

Nobody knows the ASIC score until you get the card, so how can that be a marketing tool???

Talking about the kingpins.

They list them according to price starting from ASIC 72%+ up to I believe to 80%+ (can't remember off the top of my head)

So they have to atleast know something about the asic before they sell them as such?

And the people who payed that premium never really got anything extra. Other than a over priced $1050 80% ASIC kingpin that never made it past or to 1550. Or very few did I would assume

The Kingpins, yes. Everything else, nope.

The point of knowing that ASIC isn't for average people/those that overclock with ambient cooling. With ambient cooled methods, you won't get anymore out of it then the average ~1500 Mhz. Now, with LN2, it *should* be better, that is correct. Really, IMO, no 'average user' (read: someone that cools using ambient methods) should buy Kingpin, or Classified, or Lightning for that matter as it is a waste of money. These cards are not meant for air or water.

Yeah I believe I read that somewhere that it's mainly suited for sub ambient cooling.

Id like to see some tests comparing. But I don't know much about sub ambient. It would just be an interesting read :)

But even then I feel like it's the luck of the draw but I could definitely be wrong

Sorry soulcatcher668!

Anyhow I'm anxious to see the 1080ti variant! To bad it's going to take FOREVER!

It'll be interesting to see actual real world benchies of the 1080 vs 980ti though for sure.

Looked at the EVGA website this morning...they are showing the 1080 founder's edition! :thup:

The US $699 version?

I still don't understand how the reference version costs the most?

Is it because it's available first?

The way it was described in the vid I linked, Nvidia wants the reference version (founders) to always be available for purchase. They also do not want to undercut their board partners (ASUS, EVGA, etc.). So they are selling the founders edition directly if you wish it.

I have a feeling that there must be something more to it, but that is the information we have at this time.

I am looking for to what the other manufacturers will bring to the table, like Asus, etc. I know the chips will be the same, but cooling solutions, etc, should be different. The single fan by nVidia, will most likely be louder than a dual, triple fan solution that others will release.

I am looking for to what the other manufacturers will bring to the table, like Asus, etc. I know the chips will be the same, but cooling solutions, etc, should be different. The single fan by nVidia, will most likely be louder than a dual, triple fan solution that others will release.

I would expect that, no matter the version (whether it uses 2 or 3 fans or a different sink) that they would likely be far more quiet than the previous gen just because of the improvement in power usage.

Well I think the 1080 actually uses more power than the 980 doesn't it?

Edit- 980 uses 165 watts
-1080 uses 180 watts
Yes, but performance /watt is significantly better. If it beats the 980Ti easily, the 980Ti is a 250W card. This is 180W and smokes it (according to NVIDIA).

I'm actually more excited for the 1070 than the 1080. The price to performance is off the chart.

I think DefiantReaper has it right here.
If you look at a 780, it was a 250W card.
The 980 is a 165W card.
The 1080 is 180W card.

Staying with nVidia's naming scheme, the 1080 does take more power.
Saying a 1080 is less than a Titan X is a little misleading.

A 780Ti was a 250W card and the 980 was better at less power as well.

So IMO, I would say Nvidia power consumption is worse this time around at the same range of card.

Back